Author Topic: Rules for two-handed v one-handed weapons, where are they?  (Read 1585 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
It's intuitive that some weapons require two hands and others require one. But do we have rules specifying which weapons are two handed and which are one handed? Do we have rules forbidding the use of two, two-handed weapons at once?

The only rules I have found on the topic reside on page 19 of the AToW Companion: "(Note: To use this rule, the character must have a single melee weapon in each hand, rather than a weapon that requires two hands to use ..." This quote references dual-weapon combat, which allows for using two weapons as part of a single simple action but not carrying two weapons and using them on different simple actions.

Per the RAW and provided I'm not using the dual-weapon combat advanced rule, what's stopping me from fighting with both a pole arm and a rifle?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Rules for two-handed v one-handed weapons, where are they?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2023, 15:44:08 »
I believe it's the action economy itself... The only possible workaround I see is to have a bayonet on your rifle.  A 5-second turn doesn't give you a lot of room to maneuver.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2023, 16:09:45 »
I believe it's the action economy itself... The only possible workaround I see is to have a bayonet on your rifle.  A 5-second turn doesn't give you a lot of room to maneuver.

I think I see. So in five seconds, I can swing a pole arm twice if I'm using two hands, but if I'm using one hand, I can only swing the pole arm once in five seconds. The same could be said for shooting a rifle. I'm basing this reasoning off real-life physics, not RAW. This means that it is impossible to attack with a pole arm and then with a rifle in 5 five seconds. Thus the action economy of AToW won't allow this.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2023, 16:15:12 »
I think it's more the switching that stops you.  You can drop an item as an incidental action, but readying a second one requires a Simple action, and you only get two Simple actions per turn.