Author Topic: Battletech Kickstarter thread part deux  (Read 54964 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Battletech Kickstarter thread part deux
« on: 01 February 2017, 20:43:44 »
Upward and onward.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Battletech Kickstarter thread part deux
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2017, 20:45:12 »
Im all for set 2
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2017, 20:56:44 »
I like the coasters, but that's some expensive shipping.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2017, 21:04:31 »
Back to the new battletechgear.com/ items, I prefer the new batch in almost every way. They have uses beyond simply taking up space, and seem to be made of decent materials. Their visual designs are far more pleasing; I could see even non-BT fans finding them interesting. The prices, while certainly not cheap, are more in line for what we'd be getting. Finally, the "required order" numbers are way lower, meaning we're more-likely to see these actually made.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2017, 21:10:07 »
Even though I won't be purchasing these, they do give me hope for future merch.  O0

Really looking forward to some more game news though.  I only get my news from the kickstarter updates.  Anything interesting come up in the official forums?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2017, 21:13:19 »
Shipping overseas ain't too bad. The exchange rate AUD-USD hurts more.

Going to drop on the stein once I get something on the CC to cover it ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2017, 21:57:33 »
Here ready to receive news of our upcoming PC game. Hope it comes soon.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2017, 22:05:24 »
Ahahaha...seems I'm going to have to be in the minority again. :D

The coasters are cool...but for $20 I'd never use them as intended, and that Stein, well, it's not the ugliest example I've ever seen, but it isn't exactly pretty either.

I really had my heart set on the House banner set, and the statue was cool (even if more than I should be spending). I'd like to see more apparal though.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2017, 13:39:13 »
I like the coasters, but that's some expensive shipping.
$8 for the coasters here. That's standard UPS ground. Don't know what's up with $12 shipping for the stein. $20 shipping for $60 of product ain't too hot IMO.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2017, 15:01:36 »
I'm going to have to pass  :'(

I know international shipping isn't cheap, but $42 shipping on $60 of merch is just too darned much.  >:(

(I'm in the UK, and that's $27 on the stein and $15 on the coasters)
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2017, 06:28:47 »
All honesty, I couldn't give a hoot about merch, I want game info ASAP!

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2017, 16:11:03 »
Next HBS Dev Q&A is Feb 8th 12pm PT - https://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv - with the game's lead writer as well as Mitch Gitelman, might get some tidbits in between every second person asking when backer beta will be.

daskindt

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2017, 16:19:16 »
Next HBS Dev Q&A is Feb 8th 12pm PT - https://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv - with the game's lead writer as well as Mitch Gitelman, might get some tidbits in between every second person asking when backer beta will be.

They just announced the target for the Backer Beta is March 15th.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2017, 16:46:44 »
First chunk of the novella is available to qualifying backers too.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2017, 17:02:47 »
They just announced the target for the Backer Beta is March 15th.

I saw, guess every second question will now become "What 'Mechs will be in the Backer Beta?" instead :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1801796

TL:DR
Late Reinforcement pledge pricing going up by $10 Feb 15th.
Backer Beta March 15th *knock on wood*
Backer Beta will run about two months.
Backer Beta is 1v1 multiplayer and single player skermish only. No campaign, no merc management or 'Mech modification (last may change later).
Backer Beta 'Mechs not yet revealed at this time.
Backer Beta isn't under an NDA (so spamspamspam your social media/friends)
Backer Beta is Windows and Mac only and is via Steam only
Backer Beta feedback by their forums rather than Steam though
Heir Apparent - first of the four Stackpole novellas is out on Backerkit!
BattleTech Merc - coasts and stein
Next HBS Dev Q&A is Feb 8th 12pm PT - https://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv - with the game's lead writer as well as Mitch Gitelman

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2017, 18:01:03 »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2017, 21:48:46 »
Blackjack, and Trebuchet? ???
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #17 on: 07 February 2017, 21:51:21 »
Those are awfully stumpy arms for a Blackjack.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2017, 21:59:52 »
Transparency - I'm not the greatest fan of the art style MWO is going. Yes, I'm guessing here, because there's nothing else I can think it could be, rather than "it looks like X".

Guessed Blackjack on vague cockpit similarities to BT art, and non-articulated arms. Guessed Trebuchet because "box on left arm". Other than that, the upper 'Mech could be an Enforcer.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2017, 22:28:21 »
Blackjack, and Trebuchet? ???

Correct. No indication of AC on the arms at all on that Blackjack.

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 08 February 2017, 07:36:04 »
'Mechs in the story are Blackjack, and Trebuchet so I am guessing that is what they are.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 08 February 2017, 11:50:23 »
Will it be canon?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 08 February 2017, 12:05:39 »
I wonder: Is the protagonist the same Walter de Mesnil character who appears as a Davion officer (one of a bunch of minor characters under Redburn's command) in the Warrior trilogy 26 years later?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #23 on: 08 February 2017, 15:33:18 »
Will it be canon?

The ebooks? Yes I'd imagine so.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: 08 February 2017, 15:56:40 »
The ebooks? Yes I'd imagine so.
Hairbrain commissioned it, that's why I'm wondering.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2017, 22:52:36 by Wrangler »

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: 08 February 2017, 16:02:30 »
Guess the Concordat-Magistracy War involved five rather four worlds if so.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #26 on: 08 February 2017, 16:04:59 »
I wonder: Is the protagonist the same Walter de Mesnil character who appears as a Davion officer (one of a bunch of minor characters under Redburn's command) in the Warrior trilogy 26 years later?

Yup.  He even has the Blackjack that appears as his personal 'Mech in "Not the Way the Smart Money Bets," where he joins the Hounds after helping Patrick out.  (He's down on his luck working as a Galaport cabbie circa 3010).
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 08 February 2017, 16:09:18 »
'Mechs in the story are Blackjack, and Trebuchet so I am guessing that is what they are.
Yeah... uh... do the 'Mechs have no weapons in the story? Those appear to have none. There are no missile ports or lasers on the Treb either (PGI version does not have missile pod covers). PGI's 'Mech (images) are designed to function as OmniMechs and these look like copies of the base chassis of an Omni, sans weaponry, just as they look in the MechLab with all weapons stripped. Perhaps there was a lack of communication with the artist.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 08 February 2017, 17:28:21 »
Given they appear very much to be in the MWO style, I'd guess the MWO concept artist (sorry, his name escapes me atm) did it. And I'm inclined to think he knows his 'Mech configs.

Maybe he just hit the 'grimdark' button a little hard ;)

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 08 February 2017, 17:44:16 »
Given they appear very much to be in the MWO style, I'd guess the MWO concept artist (sorry, his name escapes me atm) did it. And I'm inclined to think he knows his 'Mech configs.

Maybe he just hit the 'grimdark' button a little hard ;)
I wish I could be so forgiving, but I've taken a very close look at the image. When a 'Mech looks like this:

... instead of this:

... it's a pretty obvious mistake in my opinion. My guess is--New artist is given 3D base model to create cover art, but it is the stripped model and not one with weapons. Nobody along the approval process notices. It happens.