Author Topic: Battletech Kickstarter thread part deux  (Read 54970 times)

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
Re: Battletech Kickstarter thread part deux
« Reply #241 on: 15 November 2017, 17:45:32 »
Exciting. I like that SP campaign footage. Now, I just need my Marauders, Warhammers, and Archers. Mmmm...

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #242 on: 17 November 2017, 02:38:23 »
God, that 'terrorist' is so dumb. Who tries to steal a Lance of Battlemechs while the pilots are still in their seats? With light vehicles, no less?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #243 on: 17 November 2017, 06:50:55 »
God, that 'terrorist' is so dumb. Who tries to steal a Lance of Battlemechs while the pilots are still in their seats? With light vehicles, no less?
Cassie Suthorn
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #244 on: 17 November 2017, 07:12:40 »
She's one bad ass beotch. Any teenager that can take out a Mech with just a broom is aces in my book.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #245 on: 17 November 2017, 20:07:44 »
She's a burp in the universe.

And honestly, her ability to somehow take on all battlemechs ever in single combat apparently always struck me as something akin to Alice Abernathy.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2017, 20:13:13 by Caedis Animus »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #246 on: 17 November 2017, 20:50:11 »
I so despise that character archetype.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #247 on: 17 November 2017, 20:52:53 »
The "author's pet" archetype?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #248 on: 17 November 2017, 21:22:27 »
The "author's pet" archetype?

That's a good way to put it. Joss Wheedon did this with a bunch of his characters as well, which is how I saw through his facade years before he was exposed. I'm fine with straight-up badasses like Natasha Kerensky, but these "emotionally damaged and beautiful and awesome fighters and  uninterested in sex and everyone respects them, etc etc." characters are just trash garbage.

Remember "As Good As It Gets"? There's a great bit in the beginning. A woman asks Jack Nicholson's character, "How do you write women so well?" Jack responds, "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." That's what Cassie Suthorn and her ilk are: action heroes with crippling mental illnesses to excuse their behavior. They're dolls, and more unrealistic than giant combat robots.

Frankly, it's creepy just how widespread that archetype is.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #249 on: 17 November 2017, 21:35:42 »
I don't mind characters with some sort of tragedy in their backstory, but I hate it when it becomes their defining trait that they have to wangst about all the time.  It's like canonizing your own fanfiction.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #250 on: 27 November 2017, 22:36:03 »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2056597?ref=activity - Official Multiplayer Backer Beta Is LIVE!

Probably not exciting news for many, it wasn't hard to enable the "secret" Multiplayer Beta if you visited the HBS forums or even read the last major Beta update, multiplayer is now live for ALL beta players, no special password required. What is exciting is:

This is the last Beta update before release.
Beta will remain up "until the end of the year".
Beta purchase/back upgrade to Beta access level will be turned off on December 1st 2017.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #251 on: 29 November 2017, 00:58:32 »
Oh, so we'll never get to test out the Mechlab? Shame.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #252 on: 08 January 2018, 20:54:37 »
Bye Bye Backer Beta. Noticed Steam just ran a update and that the exe file has been removed. Checking the game folders I noticed a little note from HBS

MechWarrior!

Thank you for your participation in the BattleTech Backer Beta! While it is a little sad that the time for playing this version of the game has come to an end, you can bet that means the full version is coming soon..."How soon?" you may ask. Soon - thank you for your patience as we wrap up development and stay tuned for more information.

We have learned a lot from your feedback and just the fact that you played has helped make the game better. We very much appreciate the playtime you put in and hope you enjoy the adjustments we have made when the full game arrives. We look forward to your playing at that time just as we know you are!

Best wishes,
Your Friends at Harebrained Schemes

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #253 on: 08 January 2018, 21:15:50 »
Damn, should have played it more when I had the chance I guess.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's still there.  Staying offline to keep fallout 4 from patching has its perks I guess.  [##]
« Last Edit: 08 January 2018, 21:17:41 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #254 on: 08 January 2018, 22:36:17 »
Had I known this would happen I would have copied the entire thing over to my other comp since I don't have it connected to the net and it has all my steam games on it already (minus this one)

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #255 on: 10 January 2018, 15:27:57 »
Bye Bye Backer Beta. Noticed Steam just ran a update and that the exe file has been removed. Checking the game folders I noticed a little note from HBS

I don't think I've started Steam on my laptop in a week. I wonder if I can still pay it on there if I stay off-line
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #256 on: 16 January 2018, 16:34:15 »
Kickstarter Backer Update #47 - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2089189?ref=backer_project_update

Not an announcement of when the game will ship, but a status update advising what features previously announced as part of the Kickstarter or after WON'T be ready at time release and have slipped til after launch.
  • Linux support
  • Legendary 'Mechs and MechWarriors
  • Ability to play different types of missions in Skirmish mode (The campaign itself still has plenty of mission types though.)
  • Some Valhalla-tier reward items (specifics TBD)
  • Famous character cameos in the campaign (a Social Mission Bonus from the Kickstarter Campaign.)
  • Famous AI Lances in Skirmish mode (another Social Mission Bonus from the Kickstarter Campaign.)
  • Ironman mode
  • Solaris VII mode

Part of why Solaris won't be in at release is because multiplayer has been rejigged and simplfied - rather than a global competitive league with tournaments, they've stripped it down to what we've already seen - browse public games via a lobby or invite friends to private matches. That is causing people to lose their minds a tad...
« Last Edit: 16 January 2018, 16:38:32 by Cyc »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #257 on: 16 January 2018, 17:49:34 »
That is causing people to lose their minds a tad...

So par for the course.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #258 on: 17 January 2018, 20:30:33 »
Based on past performance I'm happy to trust HBS to deliver, and I'd much rather have them deliver good quality late than poor quality at launch
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #259 on: 17 January 2018, 23:17:13 »
Yes, the only people IMO who really have a leg to stand on for being mislead is the Linux guys as that was a day one promise. Rest of the stuff was very much stretch goal stuff, though admittedly many people didn't contribute until multiplayer was a goer.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #260 on: 18 January 2018, 00:53:38 »
Yeah, but given how quickly the stretch goal for multiplayer was met, that doesn't really indicate that people were specifically funding it because of multiplayer.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #261 on: 18 January 2018, 06:47:41 »
multiplayer will extend the life of the game beyond it's missions.  I would like more, perhaps different eras added too.  However, there so much they can do i suspect.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #262 on: 21 January 2018, 10:04:35 »
anyone else think the last update from HBS was like a deathblow for support of the game as the anger is real , I also wonder if what HBS has done will reflect badly on the battletech community in general

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #263 on: 21 January 2018, 10:18:31 »
anyone else think the last update from HBS was like a deathblow for support of the game as the anger is real , I also wonder if what HBS has done will reflect badly on the battletech community in general

No.  Gamer anger is as plentiful as water; this will make no difference to anything anywhere.

Linux fans have a right to be annoyed, as they're seeing something that they were promised slip, but overall the game will come out and do just fine.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #264 on: 21 January 2018, 10:40:09 »
It'll be fine.  Fan rage doesn't count for much and even less people read the comments section than post in it.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #265 on: 21 January 2018, 10:55:36 »
The game will still have multiplayer at the start it just won't have any kind of leagues.   And really, if someone can't enjoy a game unless total strangers are aware of how good they are at playing it, then I really don't have a high value on that someone's opinion.   Yeah, bragging rights are fun, but what's the point if you don't enjoy the game?  "I can scrape manure off a barn floor faster than 90% of all barn owners!"

As for linux, I do think HBS made the right decision.  They can either make 100% of their backers(and potential future buyers) wait, or they can make 25% of them wait.  And I think saying 25% is a little generous.  Of course, if I were a Linux user I'd still be pissed, but I think I'd understand HBS' motivation for the decision.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #266 on: 21 January 2018, 13:37:09 »
Other than the Linux thing, I believe everything else were all stretch goals, so it's not surprising they won't see launch. Plus they didn't say those things will never happen, just that they won't be ready for launch day (and I'm fairly confident most will find their way into the game eventually). Grounds for disappointment? Sure. Grounds to go off on a fan-rage? Nah.

Even the best run kickstarters generally over-promise, it's just part of the way of things. Besides, HBS has shown they know how to deliver. They've done it several times now. (And when will people learn KS isn't a pre-order service?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #267 on: 21 January 2018, 13:55:39 »
Other than the Linux thing, I believe everything else were all stretch goals, so it's not surprising they won't see launch. Plus they didn't say those things will never happen, just that they won't be ready for launch day (and I'm fairly confident most will find their way into the game eventually). Grounds for disappointment? Sure. Grounds to go off on a fan-rage? Nah.

Even the best run kickstarters generally over-promise, it's just part of the way of things. Besides, HBS has shown they know how to deliver. They've done it several times now. (And when will people learn KS isn't a pre-order service?

Agreed. It's supposed to be a rational decision where some "investments" never work out. I have a pretty good return rate; probably all but two have delivered to my expectations. One was just garbage (a side-by-side syntax/behavior comparison between three programming languages that was delivered in a half-assed pdf) and the other (Star Citizen for Squadron 42) has very public issues.

All funding I've given has been on the basis that I can afford to lose it, just as with any other high-risk speculation (I own a single etherium coin just to watch what happens and enjoy the ride). And I particularly do not hold strict expectations for software game design. The field is partly technical but also partly artistic, like a movie. I have seen too many cases to count where game features had to be removed just to make the rest of the game successful. This is normal; it happens. Promises can't be kept to 100% so you roll with changes and accept 80% as still a success.

My general opinion is that if you're going to have a conniption over your format or port not being prioritized, I find it very difficult to summon sympathy. A delay is still delivery in a field where milestones get blown past no matter how good your management is. Remember, this is partly an artistic field and likely a project making a high risk artistic bet. A delay is not even a format loss. It amounts only to losing out on release-day hype and water-cooler talk. If that's upsetting to the point of raging permanent sarcasm about the developer, I can't help you and I'm not inclined to be sympathetic.

My advice: If it is critical to your enjoyment of life that you get a stretch goal on time, don't give to the Kickstarter. Just don't. It's not worth the risk or your emotional health to hold unrealistic expectations like that. Find other games elsewhere. Goodness knows there's a mountain of high quality material these days.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #268 on: 21 January 2018, 16:47:08 »
(And when will people learn KS isn't a pre-order service?

Sorry, I hate this arguement. Kickstarter isn't an investment, you don't get any ownership.  The only thing it can possibly be is a pre-order service. The problem is that it's a very risky one.  But that is what it is, unless you want to call it a charity...
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #269 on: 21 January 2018, 17:03:59 »
Sorry, I hate this arguement. Kickstarter isn't an investment, you don't get any ownership.  The only thing it can possibly be is a pre-order service. The problem is that it's a very risky one.  But that is what it is, unless you want to call it a charity...

No it's not an investment, but it's not a pre-order either. It's crowdfunding, which is sort of the middle ground between the two (all the risks of investment without the ownership). It's a gamble and a risk, you are buying in early on the word of the KS creator that they will be able to deliver what they promised, when they promised it. That is inherently different than pre-ordering, which is at most reserving a copy of something to get it at the earliest possible time.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Register