Author Topic: The Taurian Concordat and production of the Rommel  (Read 4884 times)

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
The Taurian Concordat and production of the Rommel
« on: 08 February 2011, 04:20:35 »
Per H: MPS, p. 119- "Contrary to accepted wisdom, the Rommel tank has never been produced on Perdition... Katherine Steiner-Davion's decision to to export the design in the wake of the Lyran Alliance's formation only served to entrench these rumours."

It is currently being contended that the digital version of H: MPS features the Rommel tank in production at Perdition.

Do these sources differ (and if so, which is correct?), or has errata been issued on the matter?
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Stormfury

• Major
Re: The Taurian Concordat and production of the Rommel
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2011, 01:43:32 »
I see this has yet to receive a reply, so I will clarify and expand on why I asked it here.

With the broad scope of the questions, it seemed this rather than the Ask the Writers forum was the best place to put it, especially seeing it involved a conflict between print and .pdf products.

I have received PMs from posters who own the .pdf copy that the sources are identical, confirmed by Ruger and the text of the Rommel/Patton in TR: 3039.

However, the poster claiming otherwise is a fact-checker and claims they have a corrected version of the text placing the Rommel in production at Perdition in the products section, and that there are other (as yet unreleased?) products supporting this here and here.

Which is correct?
« Last Edit: 02 March 2011, 01:45:27 by Stormfury »
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2011, 08:45:42 »
The Rommel is not and has never been produced in the Concordat. Objective Raids and First Periphery are in error. I'm not aware of any PDF version of H:MPS that claims otherwise. Everything I'd consider an official, accepted and used canon source aligns with this statement.

Further, it looks like my version of H:MPS doesn't list Medron as one of the fact checkers/proofers for that book. He might want to get that straightened out, it's always undesirable when you've contributed to something to not be listed, but mistakes do happen.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2011, 11:11:59 »
Well, drat. My brain burped, and I thought this was in ATW for some reason. I'd delete, but you might find it useful, and Herb may likewise make use of it before he inflicts several crotchkicks for my transgression.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Stormfury

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2011, 23:38:20 »
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Stormfury

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2011, 15:55:21 »
It is now being contended, on the basis of a line in FM: P, that the Concordat produces a Rommel clone, the Po, and prior to beginning production of the "Rommel" at Perdition that the plant was cranking out Manticores. Some or all of those three tanks are apparently also in production at multiple locations within the Concordat.

Given this conflicts with TR: 3039, H: MPS and so on, is this correct? Is there additional material to which fact-checkers are privy that does confirm it?

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Stormfury

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2011, 23:05:34 »
Thanks, chief.

I was already pretty sure on the Rommel; are the Po and Manticore in production within the Concordat as well?

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2011, 23:16:44 »
Greetings,

The Rommel was an answer that could clearly be given. It falls under the in universe rumors category and is a cut and dried answer to give.

In regards to the Po and Manticore, those fall under the "if it's not published, we can't tell you." category. As both of these are produced in the region and there has not been a recent listing of factories.

Best,
Joel BC
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Stormfury

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2011, 02:18:32 »
Thanks.