Author Topic: MOTW - Dire Wolf  (Read 42827 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: MOTW - Dire Wolf
« Reply #90 on: 11 June 2018, 15:38:18 »
I'm looking at them, and I'm thinking that the Hohiro is superior to the Widowmaker.

Yeah, that UAC-20 will wreck anything it hits, but the odds of it getting a chance to hit anything aren't good; it's more an area-denial weapon than anything else, at the Daishi's speed.

Originally the Dire Wolf Widowmaker was built to be the maximum damage output . . . before we had things like HE ATMs or some of the tech that came after.  The title was taken by the ATM heavy Turkina IIRC.

And yeah . . . I have used the UAC/20 on the Widowmaker before.  I prefer the Dire Wolf Prime simply because I am a ranged player . . . and I enjoyed showing a Dire Wolf A (read cLPL) lover his folly . . . 2 Dire Wolf A vs a Dire Wolf Prime & Supernova.  It did not go as he expected.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #91 on: 11 June 2018, 18:10:44 »
Clan LPLs are too bulky for their damage output when fighting other assault mechs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #92 on: 11 June 2018, 20:12:18 »
I prefer the cERLL as I mentioned, but that is what I heard the purpose of the design was- pack the highest damage output into a single mech.  Considering it does 109 if it lands everything on a double tap . . . Turkina D beats it now with 4 ATM12s & 2 ERML for a max output of 158 if it all lands, which is harder b/c of the missiles.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #93 on: 11 June 2018, 20:21:28 »
The Turkey is also doing it in 5 point clusters, so it's got to do more sanding on average to punch through enemy armor.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #94 on: 12 June 2018, 11:58:36 »
Not really the Dire Wolf's LL are her only weapons that punch above 5. Bad die rolls can easily put her in the same spot. The Turkina D's big problem is ammo dependence. She is either going to run out or have some blow up on her.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #95 on: 12 June 2018, 12:03:46 »
 . . . he was talking about the Widowmaker, which is 2 ERPPCs, 2 ERLL, a UAC/20, pair of ERML and a ERSL . . . last is all that does 5.  The Prime is four ERLL 10 point hits and four MPLs for 7 point hits.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2018, 12:07:14 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #96 on: 12 June 2018, 15:11:59 »
Got heat and damage backwards in my head but yeah a Widowmaker will be much more satifing to drive then a Turk D.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #97 on: 15 June 2018, 20:04:56 »
and I enjoyed showing a Dire Wolf A (read cLPL) lover his folly
I mean, the A variant is certainly my favorite Dire, but it's not because it triple-mounts LPLs (Even if that is partially a factor).

I prefer Dire Wolf A because it's capable of rounding out an assault lance with a cooler-running 100-tonner that doesn't notably specialize in anything, but performs reasonably well across the board. (That said, I prefer replacing two tons of AMS ammo with an SRM-4 and a ton of Smoke ammo.)
« Last Edit: 15 June 2018, 20:06:44 by Caedis Animus »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #98 on: 15 June 2018, 21:44:53 »
Smoke rounds?  On a Clan mech?

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #99 on: 15 June 2018, 21:50:53 »
Smoke rounds?  On a Clan mech?
If they cannot shoot me through smoke, they are surely a lesser warrior, quiaff?

I prefer IS anyways, though, so the games I tend to play only have one or two Clan mechs per side maximum when it's a company per.

« Last Edit: 15 June 2018, 21:52:26 by Caedis Animus »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #100 on: 15 June 2018, 23:39:23 »
I'm looking at them, and I'm thinking that the Hohiro is superior to the Widowmaker.

Yeah, that UAC-20 will wreck anything it hits, but the odds of it getting a chance to hit anything aren't good; it's more an area-denial weapon than anything else, at the Daishi's speed.

The Hohiro, on the other hand, has a fifth long range weapon, and it's one that will hit consistently at medium range.

Your not the only one.  The Hohiro is up there best designed pod configuration of ANY chassis in existence.  It just screams I'm going to eat you from 20 hexes.

The Widowmaker was always more cool than optimized.
Not that its UN-optimized either.  LOL
Drop 1 arm for the AC & twin ERML's for 54 potential damage.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 15 June 2018, 23:41:02 »
2 Dire Wolf A vs a Dire Wolf Prime & Supernova.  It did not go as he expected.
Clearly that player does not know how to RUN forward every turn

Clan LPLs are too bulky for their damage output when fighting other assault mechs.
Agreed

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 15 June 2018, 23:42:20 »
I mean, the A variant is certainly my favorite Dire, but it's not because it triple-mounts LPLs (Even if that is partially a factor).

I prefer Dire Wolf A because it's capable of rounding out an assault lance with a cooler-running 100-tonner that doesn't notably specialize in anything, but performs reasonably well across the board. (That said, I prefer replacing two tons of AMS ammo with an SRM-4 and a ton of Smoke ammo.)

Agreed.  I'm not a fan of LPL's.  I like the A for its ammo reserves & generalist feel.   You just point it at something & don't stop moving forward, it only gets more powerful the closer it gets.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #103 on: 16 June 2018, 10:12:26 »
Even then, two free rounds of fire . . . first round is 70 potential damage, second free round is 80 potential damage provided you moved right by being 21 hexes.  Rolls being 9s with standard Clan pilots.  I also want to say he had them staggered 4 hexes apart . . . so 1 entered range before the other and had to endure more hits before the 2nd one reached its range.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 16 June 2018, 11:04:22 »
Entering in a line certainly doesn't bode well for tactics for sure.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #105 on: 24 June 2018, 17:33:12 »
I think the Dire Wolf's timeline supports an idea that the DIre Wolf was created to help the Wolf Dragoons more then creating a new assault much for the Wolf Touman

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 24 June 2018, 18:07:38 »
I think the Dire Wolf's timeline supports an idea that the DIre Wolf was created to help the Wolf Dragoons more then creating a new assault much for the Wolf Touman

...so?  It's a cute theory, but I don't see how that meaningfully impacts anything.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #107 on: 24 June 2018, 22:22:04 »
Especially sincere Dragoons came to the inner sphere without any of te mechs.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #108 on: 24 June 2018, 23:15:01 »
Especially sincere Dragoons came to the inner sphere without any of te mechs.

And them actually fielding one would've blown their cover right away.  Not just a 100 design that had never been seen in the IS (like the Imp and Annihilator) but one that used tech superior even to Star League tech and was of destructive capabilities even Atlas pilots couldn't imagine.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #109 on: 25 June 2018, 01:29:44 »
And them actually fielding one would've blown their cover right away.  Not just a 100 design that had never been seen in the IS (like the Imp and Annihilator) but one that used tech superior even to Star League tech and was of destructive capabilities even Atlas pilots couldn't imagine.

cheers,

Gabe

Granted my point is that blood of Kerensky makes it clear all the Dragoons omnis where built on Outreach not brought with them.

Darkwing

• Corporal
« Reply #110 on: 25 June 2018, 09:54:21 »
...so?  It's a cute theory, but I don't see how that meaningfully impacts anything.

I think it speaks to the nature of the Dragoon Mission more than anything. You don't send a recon team in with the design specs and capabilities of your nastiest Assault Mech. The fact that they could manufacture them when the time is right demonstrates the Warden intentions and "secret orders" they were given.
''Do not judge yourself by the friends you have, but by the enemies you make.'' - Jerome Blake

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #111 on: 25 June 2018, 10:04:50 »
They weren’t given the specs and new orders until the 3019 supply run, IIRC.  In 3005, they were just recon.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 25 June 2018, 23:32:02 »
They might have had specs besides the D-Wolf, (not being created till 3010 iirc), but yes, in their last run when they met with Kerlin Ward they were given the most up to date specs/intel at the time which then would have included the D-Wolf.

The instructions were pretty clear, prepare the IS to facing the eventual invasion.

Which I have to say, they did a very piss poor job of doing.

Basically they didn't do a damn thing till after the invasion started.

But that is a bit off topic I suppose.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #113 on: 26 June 2018, 10:33:02 »
Well . . . IMO you have to get into things not really covered . . . ROM vs Wolfnet battles to protect the Helm Core and other tech spread- also helps explain the development of the LFE and their support of Battle Magic's R&D which brought MML.  How much they might have supported the development of 'new' mechs like the Hatchetman, Merlin and Wolfhound.  Outreach as a training center and helping increase merc numbers which grows the troop base.

Could they have done more without the secret getting out?  Probably . . . but by that time Jaime was tired and enmeshed in Sphere politics.
Colt Ward

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 12 September 2018, 09:59:14 »
Your not the only one.  The Hohiro is up there best designed pod configuration of ANY chassis in existence.  It just screams I'm going to eat you from 20 hexes.

Not that its UN-optimized either.  LOL
Drop 1 arm for the AC & twin ERML's for 54 potential damage.

With 60 points of damage in 10 and 15 point chunks, 23 DHS and 2 and a half minutes worth of ammo, you don't have to scream anything.  You just show up and do you thing.  The other fellow will do all the screaming.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #115 on: 16 January 2019, 21:28:46 »
Are there any opinions of the Dire Wolf E?  There's 1 LBX-AC/10 and 4 medium pulse lasers per arm with a Streak LRM-10 and CASE II in the torsos where ammo is stored.  There's also a Watchdog CEWS mounted on the 'mech.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #116 on: 16 January 2019, 22:04:51 »
Looks to be a boring but effective design for short-to-mid range combat.  Heat management is okay- you can fire all the lasers and one AC while standing and remain neutral.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #117 on: 16 January 2019, 22:24:26 »
Vehicle killer, which for MWDA was needed . . .
Colt Ward

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #118 on: 17 January 2019, 09:22:26 »
Yeah, it's a little bland for my tastes, but I'm also a sucker for any design packing twin LB-10X, so I'd use the hell out of it. I just wouldn't feel good about myself for doing it.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #119 on: 17 January 2019, 11:00:20 »
Ditto for the double LB-10X . . . I love the Nightstar 9FC for that reason.  Its also got the Watchdog which sets it apart . . . and the toss up over the Streak LRM rack.  Personally I would rather drop 2 MPL each arm for a ERLL . . .

But honestly, 8 MPL on something that slow is not like you are taking a RFL IIC.  As a Star Commander (ugh, to be in charge of a star that slow!) that had a Dire Wolf, I am already going to put one of the weaker gunners in that mech and as long as I am not fighting on a Kansas wheatfield, its something I would be comfortable fielding if we expect to be swarmed by garrison level armor supported by battle armor.
Colt Ward