Author Topic: Battlechat 16 March  (Read 15169 times)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Battlechat 16 March
« on: 16 March 2013, 12:50:09 »
As usual: Sorted for your convenience.

Greetings:

<Habeas2>: Hello!
<Habeas2>: Sincere apologies, everyone! There was a power failure in my neighborhood
<Habeas2>: To make up for the lost, this chat will run to at least 1:30 PM.
Gravedigger waves
<Habeas2>: The usual rules, of course apply: Be nice, and you're logging on your own, because I'm not. I will answer questions in the order received to the best of my ability.
<Habeas2>: That said, we may begin

Era Report 3145

[17:34] <Ike_the_genius> Will Era Report: 3145 RATs contain mostly new units (from TRO 3145)?
[17:37] <@Habeas2> Ike_the_genius - It will contain new units from TR 3145, but whether we can call that "mostly" is another matter. These tables are rather large now.

Novels

[17:35] <CyNickle> Now that Shadow run is getting print novels how long before gets their turn (not incl. BattleCorps anthologies?
[17:37] <@Habeas2> CyNickle - Unknown

Novels/ePub:

[17:36] <Spaceman> Can we expect Battltech epubs to return again now that shadow run has print novels?
[17:41] <@Habeas2> Spaceman - Not yet

3145/Weapons:

[17:35] <garydee> Can we expect a lot of new weapons/equipment for 3145?
[17:40] <@Habeas2> Garydee - Depends what you call "a lot". In all, I count maybe 8 new items that come out for the Dark Age, not counting the whole new unit types (QuadVees and Tripods)

WarShips:
[17:36] <Weirdo> Herb: The two pieces of information I most seek right now are paint schemes for the WarShips of the Rim Worlds Republic and also of the Republic of the Sphere. Bearing that in mind, what products should I most be looking forward to for those bits of information?
[17:41] <@Habeas2> Weirdo - CamoSpecs Online
[17:42] <Weirdo> So they're never going to get a sourcebook description, like every other navy did? That's more than a little disappointing.
[17:45] <@Habeas2> Weirdo - Not really, no.

Field Reports 2765:
<Ike_the_genius>: How is work going on the 2765 Field Reports?
<Habeas2>: Ike_the_genius - As we speak, all six 2765 Field Reports have finished first drafts. Of those, the first two have completed second drafts, and the first of these is now in layout. There will be a slight delay longer as we address art needs, but they are, overall, doing quite well.

State of the Game:
<Trboturtle>: How is the product line doing? (In general terms)
<Habeas2>: Trboturtle - The product line is meeting or exceeding expectations, despite some often-strenuous deadlines and occasional unforeseen delays in production.

[17:57] <Spaceman> How are Print Releases comparing to PDF Releases? Are you happy with both? Is one more popular than the other?
[17:59] <@Habeas2> Spaceman - We're happy with both as long as they sell, though I'd have to admit if pressed that print products are much more costly to produce and slower to profit from.

Pax East:
<Spaceman>: Herb are you going to be at PAX East next weekend?
<Habeas2>: Spaceman - Yes

Battletroops:
[17:40] <Clutch> The BattleTroops game was a tiny slice of genius. Any chance we'll see a new infranty game on the 25-28mm scale?
[17:41] <@Habeas2> Clutch - No
[17:42] <Clutch> Why?
[17:44] <@Habeas2> Clutch - Because we don't consider it a worthwhile investment, given that the AToW RPG already covers actical combat at the level of individual soldiers.

XTROs/Primitives:
[17:42] <Ike_the_genius>  Status of the remaining primitive XTROs?
[17:44] <@Habeas2> Ike_the_genius - Both have completed first drafts, and are in review.

XTROs/Primitives/Compilation:
[17:50] <Ike_the_genius> A bit early to ask, but is there any chance on a paper compilation TRO for the primitives?
[17:50] <@Habeas2> Ike_the_genius - There's always a chance....
[17:50] <Ike_the_genius> And how can be improve the chances?
[17:51] <@Habeas2> Ike_the-genius - Buy everything!
[17:56] <@Habeas2> Ike_the_genius - (Continuing earlier answer) Consider this, actually: Print-publishing a whole bunch of PDFs verbatim has two major flaws from a marketing perspective: 1) It makes anyone who bought all the PDFs feel "ripped off" because they could have waited until the print book, and 2) It makes people decide not to buy PDFs because they're certain a print compilation is coming if hey just wait another year or so.

XTROs/Boondoggles:
[18:39] <mib_n6qqys> Herb- are you considering doing Boondoggles II?
[18:42] <@Habeas2> Mib_n6qqys - Yes.

Alpha Strike
[17:45] <Pa_Weasley> Can you give any nuggets of information about the Alpha Strike book/product you mentioned in previous chats? (Sorry if that's already  been asked.)
[17:48] <@Habeas2> At present, the book is well into writing, and is planned to release as a hardcover, full-color supplemental rulebook. The core writing is largely done or well underway, and we have ample material for a series of PDF-exclusive support products that simply wouldn't have fit in there without breaking the bank. Fans of miniature wargaming, in particular, should find it a great resource.

[17:55] <garydee> Is Alpha Strike Quick Strike renamed?
[17:58] <@Habeas2> Garydee - Mmmmmmmmmmaybe?
[18:06] <@Habeas2> Pa_Weasley - You're not the only one.

Release Schedule:
[17:51] <Trboturtle> What sort of DTF/PDF products could we see in the next six months?
[17:57] <@Habeas2> Trboturtle - You can expect one core book, one Hex Pack product, one Historical, one TRO, one Field Manual, one Era Report, and one BattleCorps Anthology this year. We also hope to get the last Handbook out.

[17:59] <Pa_Weasley> Hmm, any word on whether or not that core book will be IO (vol. 1 through omega) or Alpha Strike?
[18:01] <@Habeas2> Pa_Wealey - It will be Alpha Strike.
[18:04] <Pa_Weasley> Thanks. I a bit saddened by the IO news but intrigued by AS.

Tech Kit:
[17:55] <Ike_the_genius> How large and heavy is a 'Tech Kit'?
[17:57] <@Habeas2> Ike_the_genius - WOuld you believe we have no idea how large the Tech Kit is yet?
[17:58] <Ike_the_genius> Yes

ilClan:
[17:56] <Spaceman> Is the IlClan book the end of the Dark Age Era?
[17:58] <@Habeas2> Spaceman - At this tim, I remain unable to tell you when/how the Dark Age era ends, or what lies beyond.

Morale Support:
[17:59] <Ike_the_genius> As for Post-DA & 3250, I know you can't say anything, but please know you have my full support to do anything you deem fit.
[18:00] <@Habeas2> Ike_the_genius - Thanks!

Brooklyn Stevens/Herb’s Private Stories:
[17:59] <mib_n6qqys> Herb- standard question- how is the Ballad of Brooklyn Stevens going?
[18:00] <@Habeas2> Mib_n6qqys - Brooklyn Stevens' saga, sadly, cannot continue as long as I am behind schedule on projects. So, I have to make sure the product flows before indulging my own stories.
[18:03] <DarkISI> Could I have a link to something Brookly Stevens related? Will send people who read the log on the right course :)
 [18:04] <mib_n6qqys> Log out of Battlecorps- when you look at the front page its right there: Forgotten Worlds 1. 
[18:05] <@Habeas2> DarkISI - This should be the link: http://battlecorps.com/BC2/fiction.html?folder=Herbert+A.+Beas+II%2FForgotten+Worlds+%28The+Hunt+for+Jardine%29

Rules:
[18:09] <Frabby> A question for Herb that I've been meaning to post for many months: Do you think the rules will ever be complete (do you even want that)? Asking because of that 3250 peep with the infamous "20 weapon systems" obsoleting all older stuff idea
[18:09] <Frabby> ...so that your job will concentrate on storyline instead of rules?
[18:12] <@Habeas2> Frabby - Seriously? While that would sound ideal, the fact of the matter is that the flow of new tech and toys drives sales. BattleTech cannot survive on its fluff and fiction alone. In fact, I have heard that there are fans out there who actually consider the fluff and fiction and unwelcome distraction. They don't WANT fiction in their books. They want rules and toys.

Turning Points/Terra
[18:11] <mib_n6qqys> It would be nice to get a "Turning Points: Terra" with a scenario whose lead in is events at Hilton Head that led up to the blast
[18:14] <@Habeas2> Mib_n6qqys - What happened at Hilton Head would actually be more of a story than a Turning Point, really.

Interstellar Operations:
[18:18] <Ike_the_genius> So how big is IO now? I have heard it can produce 9000 of blunt damage.
[18:20] <@Habeas2> Ike_the_genius - There is so much in IO now that I don't even KNOW what's in it! But that 9000 damage still requires it be fired from orbit.

Field Manual 3145:
[18:22] <Spaceman> How close to done is FM 3145?
[18:24] <@Habeas2> Spaceman - Writing-wise, pretty damn close, really. Art-wise, um, we're working on that....

Wallpapers:
[18:25] <Ike_the_genius> I am looking for desktop background pictures, I would to have one of Era Report: 3145, when can that be expected? (x time after release)
[18:27] <@Habeas2> Ike_the_genius - Tere's no set schedule for desktop wallpapers. It tends to happen whenever we can manage the time and resources. (And we're currently burying the layout guys with work.)

[18:27] <Spaceman> When can we expect more Desktop Wall papers to be added to the gallery?
[18:28] <Drufause> Space while not CGL there are lots of new ones here http://mwomercs.com/media/concept
[18:30] <@Habeas2> Spaceman - Again, I don't have a schedule available to say when there will be more desktop wallpapers.

A Time of War:
[18:27] <Frabby> How strong is AToW doing within the BT franchise? What supplements (adventure/campaign modules) are planned?
[18:29] <@Habeas2> Frabby - We have been working on a series of PDF-exclusive adventures to support AToW, and--of course--there are the Era Report books, which are aimed at providing campaign assistance for RP campaigns as well as Chaos-driven campaigns. In all, we're happy with how solid AToW is.

[18:28] <Frabby> Herb, while I haven't had a chance to actually *play* AToW (my group is firmly entrenched in fantasy for now), I have read it through and have to say I'm impressed with most, probably all of the mechanics for typically problematic issues. It's a really great ruleset. Let me take this opportunity to thank and congratulate you.

Supplemental Products:
[18:28] <WJP> rather envious of the goodies Shadowrun gets. Any hope, even if in the distant future, for a BT non collectible strategy card game, or a battletech themed board game (like an Axis and Allies type version, just with capability for expansion sets/campaigns for various eras?)
[18:31] <@Habeas2> WJP - How many different ways do you really need to play BattleTech? O.o

Computer Games:
[18:39] <Ike_the_genius> Herb have you tried out any of the 'new' Mech games?
[18:43] <@Habeas2> Ike_the_genius - Actually, I have not. Simply no time here...

Being the Line Developer:
[18:43] <Frabby> Is Line Developer a full-time job?
[18:44] <@Habeas2> Frabby - Yes!

What you want to do:
[18:44] <mib_n6qqys> Do you have a project you'd love to do but probably won't be able to work into the schedule?
[18:45] <@Habeas2> Mib_n6qqys - I actually have several, and am trying to launch one anyway, but because it's basically a completely "optional" piece, we have to keep shunting it to lower priority. This is a business, after all.
[18:46] <mib_n6qqys> Can you tell us what it is?
[18:47] <@Habeas2> Mib_n6qqys - It's a SURPRISE!
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: Battlechat 16 March
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2013, 13:38:27 »
Thanks again for posting this, always seem to miss these.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2013, 14:10:07 »
Wallpapers:
[18:25] <Ike_the_genius> I am looking for desktop background pictures, I would to have one of Era Report: 3145, when can that be expected? (x time after release)

There are already wallpapers for ER3145, in two different sizes, in the Gallery.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2013, 17:03:34 »
Someone want to ask him when the writers are going to get a living wage?

Drufause

• Master Sergeant
  • We were never here.
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2013, 18:23:52 »
My gut says when it becomes profitable enough.  Actually in all seriousness this question answers itself.  The only way that the writers will be paid more is if CGL's Books, PDF's and products sell better.  Battletech has to pay its own way at the kind of money it brings in.  I love Battletech.  Its my Favorite alternate verse sandbox to play in. 

That being said lets look at its visibility.  What does its word of mouth typically say.  Unfortunately its most dedicated players at times tend to drive people away at stores.  A couple of people in their middle age sitting in the corner of the store playing a game for 8 hours with cool painted mechs.  Newb comes up oh this looks cool... Yeah it is... How do I play... Newb learns to play some... Newb purchase a couple of new books and shows up the next week.  Same two guys sitting in the corner of the store.  Newb walks up hey can i join you guys this week.  Sure... Oh what book you got?  That one is worthless.  We only play (insert appropriate (Pre Clan Invasion) (Clan Invasion) (Jihad) (Dark Age)) that (insert appropriate again) stuff is worthless and (insert favorite insult) the game. 

That's not even touching the problems its best evangelizing product currently MWO causes for us.  I have literally heard a few Battletech Grognards tell people who discovered Battletech through Mechwarrior Online that they should not ever mention it because it is ruining their game.

I guess I'm trying to say At this time Battletech has not reached a saturation point where it can afford to throw the kind of money it would take for people to use it as a sole source of income.  I want people who write and create Battletech stories to be able to be more focused on the product and development.  But we need to help them out as much as we can and be...
1 - Friendly.
2 - Kind.
3 - Willing to Teach not just beat.
4 - Take a loss with a smile.
5 - Enjoy the company of others.
6 - Be Fun and Funny

**** this post is not meant to be offensive or derisive i'm just posting this to make people think about how they act when they are portraying Battletech to others ****
« Last Edit: 16 March 2013, 18:25:59 by Drufause »
Combat Command Counters Thread
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0
quote by OgreBattle on 09/08/2011
"Knowledge and social skills usually use separate attributes, and often when you're good at one you take the other as your dump stat."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2013, 18:25:15 »

Don't you know? Writing Battletech is its own reward.  :D
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2013, 18:57:30 »
**** this post is not meant to be offensive or derisive i'm just posting this to make people think about how they act when they are portraying Battletech to others ****
Its hard to take offensive when I have seen so many RL examples......  :'(
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2013, 19:54:11 »

Why would you get a living wage from contract work?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2013, 20:06:19 »
So is it bad that I've been obsessively hitting the page to check if ER3145 is up?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2013, 20:08:17 »
Part 2, you know the drill.

Greetings:
[01:02] <@Habeas2> Welcome to the second BattleChat of the Third BattleChat Day
[01:02] <@Habeas2> 2013
[01:03] <@Habeas2> The standard rules and comments for these chats apply: Be courteous, and I'll answer questions to the fullest of my ability in the order they appear. Don't be courteous, and I boot your asses out of here.
[01:03] <@Habeas2> Logging's entirely up to you, because I won't do it.
[01:04] <@Habeas2> That said....let us begin

In-Character Chat:
[01:03] <MikeCJ> Are we ever going to get another "in-character" chat?
[01:04] <@Habeas2> MikeCJ - Sure we will. Just no idea when.

Alpha Strike:
[01:05] <Jo_Jo_Monkey> Is the Alpha Strike book considered a “core” rulebook?
[01:06] <@Habeas2> Jo_Jo_Monkey - It is core in the same way the A Time of War Companion is considered core, but it is not an actual part of the Total Warfare-Interstellar Ops thing.

[01:38] <Nerroth> Is there a particular era in which Alpha Strike will be set, or will it come with enough rules to allow it to cover all six currently-listed eras?
[01:39] <@Habeas2> Nerroth – Yes

[01:40] <Nerroth> So, if a new player were handed a copy of AS, along with a copy of a 3145 pdf (as and when such a file becomes available), he ir she would have all they need to get started with Quick Stike-level play in the Dark Age era?
[01:41] <Nerroth> I mean, a pdf QS set based on the units in TRO: 3145, akin to the sets already available for the likes of TRO: 3050.
[01:41] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - It is possible, yes.

Hex Pack:
[01:05] <megatrons2nd> Are you able to tell us what the next Hex Pack is, and if so what is it?
[01:08] <@Habeas2> Megatrons2nd - The next Hex Pack will be a special Tactical Operations counters pack.

[01:54] <megatrons2nd> on the Hex Packs, will we see any new maps?
[01:56] <@Habeas2> Megatrons2nd - Yes, of course.

[01:58] <megatrons2nd> will we see an increase in the rate of hex pack releases?
[02:00] <@Habeas2> Megatrons2nd - Probably not
Field Reports:
[01:06] <Circinus_Enquirer> I'm eagerly awaiting the Field Report 2765 series.  As you move on with 1st Succession War Era Report, 2nd Succession War Era Report, etc., will there be any sort of "Field Report: Updates" to track what's died off and what new formations have arisen?
[01:09] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - If/when we detail the Succession Wars, it should become apparent what regiments rise and fall by simply comparing the forces at each period.

Core Rule Books:
[01:09] <Jo_Jo_Monkey> Is this the correct list of "core" books: A Time of War RPG, Strategic Operations, Tactical Operations, TechManual, Total Warfare, Interstellar Operations, Classic BattleTech Universe?
[01:14] <@Habeas2> Jo_Jo_Monkey - The original planned set of core rulebooks was: Total Warfare, TechManual, Tactical Operations, Strategic Operations, and BattleTech Universe. SInce then, we have ammended it with a couple of supporting core books, in the form of A Time of War Companion and Alpha Strike.

[01:19] <Jo_Jo_Monkey> One last question on core books: is Interstellar Operations going to be considered a core book?
[01:20] <@Habeas2> Jo_Jo_Monkey – Yes

Interstellar Operations:
[01:10] <megatrons2nd> How is IO coming?  Has it expanded to 3 books yet?
[01:15] <@Habeas2> Megatrons2nd - I wouldn't be surprised.

Operation Klondike/Rememberance:
[01:14] <Circinus_Enquirer> I was just comparing the Operation KLONDIKE account of DeChevilier's death to those in the Wolf and JF books, and in "Fall From Glory" and found significant variances.  When looking at the same event covered by multiple sources, where do passages from The Remembrance rank in terms of canonicity? 
[01:16] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - The Remembrance is a stylized and very biased account, so I'd say it falls below more balanced historical accounts.

Wolf Empire/Map:
[01:15] <Nerroth> In A Bonfire of Worlds, there is a series of maps showing the gradual expansion of the Wolf Empire in its formative years. Will a similar set of maps be included in Era Report: 3145, or will that book only have a map showing the state of play in 3145 itself?
[01:19] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - You know, I can't quite remember. There will be at least one overall map, but there may also be some supporting maps covering the conflicts going on up to that point.

Field Manual 3145/Map:
[01:20] <Nerroth> I see, thanks. Speaking of maps, have there been any further thoughts on whether or not to offer a map preview from Field Manual: 3145?
[01:21] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - Not really, no.

Battlecorps:
[01:18] <wolflancer4> can we expect any new short novels from BattleCorps soon?
[01:20] <Schmetzer> wolflancer4: yes
[01:21] <@Habeas2> (Whoa; didn't even see you come in, Jason!)
[01:21] <wolflancer4> hes sneaky that way
[01:21] <Schmetzer> (I'm not here--this is all a figment of your imagination)

[01:23] <Circinus_Enquirer> In the past, BattleCorps published serials of themed short stories - "Case White" "Operation RAT," etc.  Any plans at present to do any more themed fiction marathons?
[01:25] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - That depends on what Jason and I hammer out, I suppose. Jason, any thoughts?
[01:25] <Schmetzer> Circinus_Enquirer: perhaps. There is nothing currently in development, except one big 4-part novella series that will likely launch next week and proceed across 1-2 months. Not really themed, though it's one big story.

[01:30] <Circinus_Enquirer> Can we expect to see any more Ship/Stable/Unit profiles and/or Tracks/Scenarios on BattleCorps?
[01:31] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - That's another for Jason. I'll let him answer.

[01:33] <Trboturtle> Anything special Battlecorps needs? :D
[01:34] <Schmetzer> Trboturtle: writers to finish stories, move them out of workshop, and submit them. ;)
[01:35] <@Habeas2> Schmtzer - As I said last chat, I'd LOVE to finish the Jardine saga, but there's this little thing called running a game line getting in my way.
[01:35] <Schmetzer> Habeas2: your editor has no comment
[01:36] <Trboturtle> Schmetzer -- Thinking of using C-8 to break up the Workshop logjam.....

Periphery:
[01:23] <Nerroth> Will there be much in the Periphery section of either ER:3145 or FM:3145 which will cover the emergence of the Rim Territories, or provide an update on the micro-states offered for the Barrens and the Chainelane Isles in ISP3?
[01:24] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - There should be a LITTLE news on some of those newer/minor powers, but definitely not all of them. The truly minor Periphery powers just aren't worth the attention.

Superheavy Mechs/Tripods:
[01:24] <Pa_Weasley> Will the Colossi/Tripods being using the same Superheavy 'Mech rules as found in J:FR or are they a whole new bag of fun?
[01:26] <@Habeas2> Pa_Weasley - They use a modified form of the Superheavy 'Mech rules

Hogarth:
[01:24] <Circinus_Enquirer> Is Hogarth a fan of the Lyran musical act "Thera and her Red Deltas"?  (From the original Lyran SB)
[01:26] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - No. He considered Thera and her Red Deltas to be a bit too vulgar and crass for his refined tastes.

[01:35] <Circinus_Enquirer> So Hogarth's aesthetic tastes run more to the "Tharkan Boys' Choir"?
[01:37] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - I think he's actually more of an opera man...

[01:42] <Circinus_Enquirer> Did Hogarth have sufficient political connections in 3028 to rate an invitation to Hanse and Melissa's wedding on Terra?
[01:43] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - No, and he was quite miffed about it, too.

[01:43] <Circinus_Enquirer> And has Hogarth ever bagged a Nolan?
[01:43] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - He *says* he did, but such reports cannot be independently verified.
[01:43] <Trboturtle> I think A Nolan nearly bagged him.....

[01:44] <Circinus_Enquirer> What would (will :) ) be Hogarth's reaction upon seeing a Colossii-class SuperHeavy 'Mech?
[01:45] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - Hogarth did not live to see the first Colossi.
[01:46] <Drufause> (o.O) Hogarth Died?  What the sky is falling
[01:49] <@Habeas2> Drufause - The man was ancient when the Jihad ended! You really think he had another 60 years in him?
[01:49] <Trboturtle> Well, he was a blowhard.....

[01:45] <Drufause> I thought Hogarth was the one who smuggled the bloody katana in cause I mean who has the guts to search him

Gunslingers:
[01:24] <Drufause> Will there be a return of Gunslinger status Pilots in Battletech Cannon the way they were mentioned in the Dark Age?
[01:27] <@Habeas2> Drufause - We call those "Notable Pilots" in the "classic" BattleTech lore, so they never really left.

Chainelanes:
[01:25] <Nerroth> Would it be more likely to expect an update on the Chainelanes when looking at the Sea Fox presence in the Chaine Cluster (should there continue to be one by 3145), rather than expecting to see the Isles covered in and of itself?
[01:28] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - I can tell you the Chainelanes are mentioned in the 3145 books, yes.

Canonicity:
[01:27] <Circinus_Enquirer> Are some of the "in passing" references made in some of the early fiction canon, or can we assume that they've been dropped from existence?  For example, the Erit Cluster from Decision at Thunder Rift - a trading hub run by House Mailai - yet appears on no maps and was never mentioned again.
[01:28] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - I wouldn't worry about that.

“Classic” Title:
[01:29] <megatrons2nd> When crossing into the future, will Battletech once again become "classic" to differentiate the old and new rules/equipment?
[01:30] <@Habeas2> Megatrons2nd - No

Interstellar Expeditions:

[01:29] <Nerroth> Will there be an update on Interstellar Expeditions' current state of affairs as of 3145; and if so, would they be put into the same category as ComStar and/or any other "corporate" entities of note in the setting?
[01:31] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - There are no immediate plans to update the status of Interstellar Expeditions in detail, though we will see some indicators that they are alive and well in the 3140s.
[01:32] <Nerroth> At least, it's good to hear that the organisation is still functioning; after ISP3, it would be a shame for the organization to buckle under the strain of the post-blackout era.

Alaric Ward:
[01:31] <Pa_Weasley> Does the BTU at large ever learn the truth of Alaric Ward's heritage? Is there a collective "ewwww" following the revelation?
[01:32] <@Habeas2> Pa_Weasle - I am afraid that passes the current timeline and enters into an area I am not presently allowed to discuss.

Release Schedule/Historicals:
[01:32] <Savage_Coyote> Are there any Historicals in the works in the "relatively?
[01:32] <Savage_Coyote> crap.... are there any historicals in the works relatively soonish in the lineup?
[01:33] <@Habeas2> Savage_Coyote - You just got Liberation of Terra II! The next Historical is right now in solicitation phase (the point where we see which of our freelance writers are interested in taking on the project).

[01:34] <Nerroth> Would that Historical be Wars of the Republic Era, or has someone already been selected to head up that project?
[01:35] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - That would be that.

Technology Development:
[01:33] <Garydee> Do you see the IS and the Clans copying each other's technologies more than what they do now? Ex- Do you see the Clans developing their own ELRM technology and the IS developing heavy lasers?
[01:34] <@Habeas2> Garydee - That is beyond the current time frame and into a region of the timeline I am not presently allowed to discuss.

Psychic Abilities:
[01:38] <Circinus_Enquirer> What's the official position on psychic abilities in the BattleTech universe?  I've heard before that "the Nova Cats just smoke some strange things," but elements of recent sourcebook fiction (Pulsar, Hard Justice) keep hearkening back to precognitive visions.  (High Ranked Sixth Sense ability?)
[01:39] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - Open to limited interpretation.

3145:
[01:46] <Nerroth> Without giving too much away, will there be any mjaor changes in the state of affairs as had been left for the antispinward Inner Sphere by the end of Bonfire and the point at which we pick things up again in 3145, or would the intervening time period act as more of a breathing space for the factions involved?
[01:49] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - We'll see. ;)

Sonja Amore/Naamah:
[01:46] <MikeCJ> Was it Avitue or Sonja Amore executed for failing as she infiltrated the Paladins?
[01:50] <@Habeas2> MikeCJ - That was Sonja Amore/Naamah

Towne:
[01:48] <Circinus_Enquirer> Is there any chance for a story on Towne involving the native "Rodan" giant avians, Greenburg's Godzillas, and/or Kong Interstellar Corporation?  :)
[01:50] <@Habeas2> Ciricnus_Enquirer - No

Pseudotech:
[01:50] <Nerroth> One last question for tonight. has there been any progress on the PseudoTech project dealing with the Tetatae, or has it yet to be put on the list of things-to-be-done-at-some-point?
[01:51] <@Habeas2> Nerroth - It's still on a distant to-do list.

Avitue:
[01:50] <MikeCJ> Herb- did they ever kill Avitue?  I was so surprised she made it off New Avallon
[01:52] <@Habeas2> MikeCJ - Did *who* ever kill Avitue?
[01:55] <MikeCJ> Herb- anyone?  Heck, I'd be ok if it was Appollyon
[01:57] <@Habeas2> MikeCJ - Nobody killed her.

Sun-Tzu Liao:
[01:50] <Drufause> When do we find out who puts a wooden stake in Sun Zu
[01:51] <@Habeas2> Drufause - I'm afraid that information is well beyond the point in history I am permitted to discuss.

Isis Marik-Davion:
[01:53] <Drufause> Any chance on more information arising out of the Dark Age about Isis-Marik-Davion
[01:53] <@Habeas2> Drufause - There's always a chance....

Strange Questions/Liquor:
[01:54] <Circinus_Enquirer> To what extent could the upper classes of the Inner Sphere be classified as hard drinking (to go along with "hard fighting")?  Going through nearly 30 years of novels, sourcebooks, etc., worlds seem to be most often defined by what kind of hard liquors they export.
[01:56] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer - I'm afraid all Houses jealously guard details regarding their local alcoholism rates.

Strange Questions/1 Character Retcon:
[02:01] <MikeCJ> Herb- if you go recon 1 character out who would it be?
[02:02] <MikeCJ> retcon
[02:02] <@Habeas2> MikeCJ - esus Christ
[02:02] <@Habeas2> MikeCJ - Jesus Christ, that is.
[02:02] <Trboturtle> I think he meant Battletech character....
[02:03] <@Habeas2> Trboturtle - He IS a BattleTech character. Oh, wait. You guys called him Hanse Davion.

New Avalon Pope:
[01:58] <Circinus_Enquirer> The recent papal elections got me wondering - the Pope killed by Amaris was Clement XXVII, but the New Avalon Pope that calmed the anti-asian riots in the Federated Suns was Clement XX (20 years later) - typo or result of the schism?
[02:01] <@Habeas2> Circinus_Enquirer – Schism

'Mech Variants:
[01:59] <wolflancer4> Will we see any new mech variants from mechs that only had one variant in TRO 3075 and TRO 3085 appear with the DA TRO?
[02:00] <@Habeas2> Wolflancer4 - No

German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2013, 20:23:06 »
And a good time was had by all...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2013, 20:30:36 »
I kind of like the idea that, once a QS/AS card set based on TRO:3145 is done, it plus a copy of Alpha Strike would essentially act as a spiritual successor to MechWarrior: Dark Age. (Not in terms of game mechanics, but in the sense that it would act as a similar way to introduce people to that era of the broader BattleTech setting.)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2013, 20:35:05 »
The Chainlane's are mentioned in 3145... interesting

To the patient go the spoils

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 16 March 2013, 21:55:09 »
The Chainlane's are mentioned in 3145... interesting
There's more interesting stuff then that, such as Sun-Tzu's death and the revelation of Alaric Ward parentage

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #14 on: 16 March 2013, 22:23:16 »
There's more interesting stuff then that, such as Sun-Tzu's death and the revelation of Alaric Ward parentage

Perspective.  I could care less about Sun-Tzu.  And I personally think when the Wolves find out their boss is a Steiner-Davion they'll shoot him themselves to keep the other clans from eating them

To the patient go the spoils

Gus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2013, 01:31:34 »
Perspective.  I could care less about Sun-Tzu.  And I personally think when the Wolves find out their boss is a Steiner-Davion they'll shoot him themselves to keep the other clans from eating them

I'm quite curious about the specific reaction to him being ineligible for his Bloodname. Or technically, any bloodname. Most likely, they'll probably shoot him.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2013, 01:42:00 »
@cold1, you realize that the way he was talking those events they won't happen until the Dark Age and more likely after it?

As far as I know HE doesn't know his real parentage so the reaction could be quite interesting

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2013, 05:40:32 »

Answer 7: I'm afraid that information is well beyond the point in history I am permitted to discuss.

;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #18 on: 17 March 2013, 06:10:36 »
So is it bad that I've been obsessively hitting the page to check if ER3145 is up?

Join the club O0

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 17 March 2013, 06:38:21 »
Answer 7: I'm afraid that information is well beyond the point in history I am permitted to discuss.

;)

Where's wiki leaks when we need them  O:-)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #20 on: 17 March 2013, 06:58:21 »
Where's wiki leaks when we need them  O:-)
Funny fact. The CGL section is blocked by an image of Randall's beard holding a stack of NDAs.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #21 on: 17 March 2013, 13:43:55 »
3145/Weapons:

[17:35] <garydee> Can we expect a lot of new weapons/equipment for 3145?
[17:40] <@Habeas2> Garydee - Depends what you call "a lot". In all, I count maybe 8 new items that come out for the Dark Age, not counting the whole new unit types (QuadVees and Tripods)

Hmm, Quadvees ... had almost thought they might ignore this technology mentioned only sparsely. I wonder if they will introduce it in TRO 3145.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Home of hand built Timber Wolves.
« Reply #22 on: 17 March 2013, 13:53:52 »
As far as I know HE doesn't know his real parentage so the reaction could be quite interesting

He does know.
From a 'Mech grave he rose, snarling
Ready to do battle for his vanquished Clan
Stalking the Falcon Khans, who would remake us
His actions, the Wolf incarnate
  -The Remembrance(Clan Wolf), Passage 412, Verse 10, Lines 9-12

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #23 on: 17 March 2013, 13:58:37 »
Hmm, Quadvees ... had almost thought they might ignore this technology mentioned only sparsely. I wonder if they will introduce it in TRO 3145.

Yeah, CGL would never waste page count on something only mentioned once, in a table, in a book published over 25 years ago, for an obsolete rules set, and that was almost certainly just a mistake to begin with...

...wait, what were we talking about again?

He does know.

He very emphatically knows. I assume any public revulsion at the sort-of-incest will be stomped out by ilClan Wolf once they conquer the Republic.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #24 on: 17 March 2013, 14:24:16 »
I'm quite curious about the specific reaction to him being ineligible for his Bloodname. Or technically, any bloodname. Most likely, they'll probably shoot him.

Actually, Alaric is eligible for a Bloodname going by the same logic and precedent that Phelon Kell is eligible for a Ward Bloodname. It's just the Wolves don't have the Bloodname, Steiner.

Sure he might not be a Ward, but he is the best genetic material out there. Plus, Alaric has his mother's brain, but he also has his father's heart. He even puts his father's portrait up to annoy his mother. And he even has a lover to boot with a special name.

Truly, he is the IlKhan of IlKhans.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2013, 14:26:07 by Lord Harlock »

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2013, 15:21:10 »
Actually, Alaric is eligible for a Bloodname going by the same logic and precedent that Phelon Kell is eligible for a Ward Bloodname. It's just the Wolves don't have the Bloodname, Steiner.

Yet ..........

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 17 March 2013, 15:26:56 »

Actually, your wrong. Phelan Kell has a genetic link to the founders, Alaric does not.

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 17 March 2013, 15:40:57 »
Actually, your wrong. Phelan Kell has a genetic link to the founders, Alaric does not.

IIRC Kailen Steiner was an illegitimate child of General Paul Steiner so if you go back far enough the link, however tenuous, is there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 17 March 2013, 15:42:28 »

Considering how much of Davion space has a link to the Davion name, I dont think he'd have that difficult a problem finding some link to somebody.
If that doesn't work, then try the Liao family :).
If that doesn't work, go with the Winson blood name and Davion-Cameron link...
He could end up related to half the founders!
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 17 March 2013, 15:44:13 »
Considering how much of Davion space has a link to the Davion name, I dont think he'd have that difficult a problem finding some link to somebody.
If that doesn't work, then try the Liao family :).
If that doesn't work, go with the Winson blood name and Davion-Cameron link...
He could end up related to half the founders!

Ilclan by birth!  O:-)

Register