Poll

How likely are you to use Unique Mechs?

A. I prefer them, and use them almost all the time
B. I use them about as often as common 'Mechs
C. I try to avoid them, but sometimes use them
D. I never use them

Author Topic: Unique Mechs utilization  (Read 5520 times)

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Re: Unique Mechs utilization
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2018, 09:44:18 »
I use both custom and stock load outs.  They can make things interesting.  Depending on where a unit is they may swap things out on some of their machines to make logistics easier.  Or customizing a unit to make it more efficient (costs permitting).

Also, some of the stock builds are not good and if you are stuck with a machine that you need to make the best of customization might be your best bet. 

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 28 May 2018, 11:23:14 »
It kind of depends for me.

I picked the  "I try to avoid them but use them sometimes route" because in games & or typical canon type units I attempt to keep them almost all canon. In the mercenary & pirate forces I make I allow a little more leeway for customs, but still try to keep it around 1 custom / unique to 4 or so standard configs.

The one exception to this rule obviously is my AU, in this everyone runs around in different configs, but they ironically are "stock" variants for that universe, so not customs either? haha

Sometimes I'll throw it all to the wind for a pure "frankenmech" kind of deal. I've had frankenmech tournaments with my friend where we roll parts, instead of mechs off of the RAT's and then figure out a way to combine them into a mech. This can be a lot of fun, but its not like were mixing these with line units.
For The Archon!

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2018, 20:31:43 »
I really love Marks Grand Dragon.

HPPC LRM15 C3 slave and MASC with a LFE?

Yes please.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 28 May 2018, 22:32:40 »
Sometimes I'll throw it all to the wind for a pure "frankenmech" kind of deal. I've had frankenmech tournaments with my friend where we roll parts, instead of mechs off of the RAT's and then figure out a way to combine them into a mech. This can be a lot of fun, but its not like were mixing these with line units.

I think this is a really cool idea!

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 19 June 2018, 10:10:59 »
The only place I have for unique mechs is Solaris VII.  A formation in the field becomes too cumbersome in logistics if you have to lug around 4 + internal Structure and Armor types . Not to mention 12+ ammo types .  That kind chaos just drags the pace of the game . I tend to mimimize the above as it increases speed of play .

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #35 on: 19 June 2018, 11:41:53 »
Solidly in the "choice C" category.  If I'm playing against someone who "has" to run unique or custom "munchkin" 'Mechs (some people won't play "stock"), then I'll sometimes follow suit and field my own "munchkin" design in opposition.  In almost any campaign situation, I'm going to choose a standard variant, usually with some particular House focus.  There are times where the campaign calls for some "unusual" opponent, and that may involve a unique or custom 'Mech, but generally there's some standard variant that will provide the same level of "Uh, oh!" drama that the encounter demands.

I'd much rather play with a variety of assorted "stuff" and figure out how to make the best use of it, rather than have all of the goodies from the start.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 22 June 2018, 10:04:15 »
I have unit varients and Models of known stock mechs normally alter about 5 percent of the tonnage of a stock mech to address the biggest weakness of a design if possible this is what I see in a combat formation be it mercenary or other . Not that I have not designed wholly unique mech but only in and for Solaris VII.  An individual Gladiator mech can be an individual . The problem with Battletech campaigns is until 3055 + it just impractical to have enough of the exact same kind of mechs fielded to develop and use a solid tactical doctrine revolving around specific hardwate in the field in quantity .

Register