Author Topic: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps  (Read 15681 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps
« on: 18 October 2017, 13:48:29 »
Urban warfare is a core part of BattleTech, but the original city maps (street grids with building counters to place around) left something to be desired.  The more detailed dense urban maps were definitely a step in the right direction, but still have oddly angled buildings drawn to conform to the hexagonal map structure.

My preference has always been to break out the city battle maps from TSR's Marvel Superhero RPG - a 3x3 grid of poster-sized city maps perfectly scaled for BattleTech miniatures to rampage through the streets, including slums, skyscrapers, parks, hospitals, research laboratories, bars, restaurants, police stations, shops, warehouses, and construction sites. 

I scanned in my maps (much loved...much taped) and stitched together the entire 3x3 grid (the upper right is a hodge podge from non-grid maps, since they ended the line before completing the ninth map), and Photoshopped away most of the wear and tear (thank you, clone stamp).  I then cut out the individual blocks and resized them to fit inside standard BattleTech hexes (a city block fits in a 7-hex circle, with margins on the side for pavement). 

I'd like to use this thread to showcase the buildings, which I'm going to print out and mount on foam core board for use as highly detailed map tiles in city fights.

The first (attached) is a highly shrunk down version of the full map (since the full size original is 88 MB).  The large compound in the upper right is a ComStar HPG station (repurposed from Marvel's United Nations building map).

Link to all files (220 MB):  http://www.mediafire.com/file/09rt5xef5t656e1/Buildings.zip
« Last Edit: 26 October 2017, 15:57:24 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2017, 14:12:10 »
The abandoned and condemned building is accompanied by a partially demolished building and a construction site.  Using several of these would be a good way to convey a city that has seen some heavy fighting, or one that has been abandoned.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2017, 14:33:06 »
This Abandoned Warehouse is only half a block in size - fitting nicely into 4 hexes.  Perfect for staging attacks, or filling with supplies to keep the troops of Operation RAT pushing forwards.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2017, 14:37:00 »
This tile is centered on Alan Michael's Ice Arena.  In one fight, I recall arguing that I should get a few bonus cool-down points if I had a 'Mech standing inside and firing out, similar to (or even better than) standing in water.  (This predated the official rules for cold-weather environments)  Also includes Nigel's Sports Shop and the zamboni shed.  (Watch out for Deadpool...)

Hellions on Ice!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2017, 14:39:52 »
Intended to be backed up against a river, Alken's Fish and Fruit Market is a half-block without a sidewalk at the back.  In addition to Alken's, you'll find the Kaulthco Paper warehouse.  Whip out your flamers and have a fish fry.  Plenty of fuel at hand.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2017, 14:42:38 »
A block of apartments with an alley running down the middle, this tile has hosted any number of vehicles lying in ambush in the empty lot (in the full size version, a Demolisher slots in just perfectly).  Guido's Grocery is conveniently located if your tank crew needs cannoli.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2017, 14:49:22 »
The Apex Health and Casualty Building is architecturally interesting, with a two-story angled glass front.  I keep having images of a hidden 'Mech announcing its presence by triggering Jump Jets and coming crashing out through the glass.

I also like to start VTOLs involved in urban scenarios on the helipads marked on the tops of several of the skyscrapers.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2017, 14:59:10 »
The Archdiocese is one of the buildings from the New York City Campaign Set, which eschewed the generic buildings from the 3x3 map grid and modeled major NYC landmarks (in an off-putting orange/yellow/brown color scheme that I desaturated).

The accompanying terraced skyscraper and super-high-rise would be good to evoke the Inner Sphere's ultra-dense major cities.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2017, 15:14:30 »
There's one diagonal thoroughfare in The City, and it cuts through some of the blocks.  This works out reasonably well when mounted on hexes, allowing the diagonal transverse, though the angle is just a wee bit off center.

In addition to the Armstrong Hotel, this block adds some neighborhood character with The Bear Paw Bar (a Clanner hangout if I ever heard of one), a newsstand, the Falcon Agency (a very Clanny block, indeed), the Maxton Building, and a gas station. 

Many a time, the gas station got targeted because of a house rule allowing explosive materials to do splash damage (echoing the instakill outcome when any fuel bunker in the Crescent Hawk's Revenge was blown up with any 'Mechs adjacent).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2017, 15:17:38 »
The Augra Apartments block is fairly generic - adding Downtown Realty and the Carista Clinic.  On the plus side, there's a parking lot where you can set up a tank ambush, or hide a Mobile HQ.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #10 on: 18 October 2017, 15:19:41 »
Auric Rent-A-Car offers a lot of open space - a rarity for dense urban locations.  Good for setting up a command post or an artillery battery.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #11 on: 18 October 2017, 15:26:37 »
This block has a fair number of pop culture references.

The Blue Parrot club is a reference to a 1953 UK murder mystery movie.
Rick's Cafe has relocated from Casablanca to downtown Manhattan.

They're joined by Hair Lines, Clothes Horse, the Paradise Theater (Styx's 1981 album title), the Aurora Building, and LaBudde's Gift Shop. 

The alley offers a nice spot for a mugging 'Mech (or a hopeful Hetzer) to hide, and even offers a narrow port through which an UrbanMech can take a sneak attack shot over the roof of the Blue Parrot.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2017, 15:29:17 »
This far less complicated block includes an abandoned Warehouse, Avery's Furniture Warehouse, and the Northerly Art Gallery. 

Sounds like a block Cranston and Rhonda Snord would want to visit, to add to their collection.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2017, 15:31:36 »
This block brings oodles of parking (a great treasure in a dense urban environment, giving units a place to step out of the line of fire on the straightaways), as well as a parking garage where any number of tanks could lie in wait. 

Businesses located here include Badger Foods, the Public Works Storage Facility, and the Alard Lofts (a converted warehouse with no known connection to House Allard-Liao).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2017, 15:34:11 »
For your planet's equivalent of Wall Street (or if you plan to summon Gozer), some skyscrapers based on New York's Banker's Trust building. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2017, 15:35:45 »
For your next convention or infantry brigade billeting needs, the high rise Barclay Hotel stands ready.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #16 on: 18 October 2017, 15:37:37 »
Going the other direction (and throwing in some more pop culture), this block features the Bates Motel (Norman?), its arch-rival EZ Nite Motel, as well as the odd pairing of the Fit'N'Fun Health Club and a MacBurgers franchise.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #17 on: 18 October 2017, 15:41:54 »
Another of the blocks along the diagonal cross street (Lincoln Avenue), this is the lower-rent part of town, with tenements, Marcello's Pawn Shop, Bing's Bar, the Cakes & Ale Bar, and the Lincoln Street Mission. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #18 on: 18 October 2017, 15:45:33 »
The Brand Corporate Warehouse is fairly generic, but was intended by TSR to be a regular locale for bad-guy activity, since the Brand Corporation was created in the 1970s as a villainous energy company that dabbled in supervillain creation and tinkering with dimensional barriers in the name of greater shareholder returns.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #19 on: 18 October 2017, 15:48:55 »
A mixed light commercial/residential block, the east side is apartments and a private home, while the west side has very, very dated retail outlets - TV Shed (aka Radio Shack); Ron's Attic (comics); Butler's Badger Bar and Grill; Quikie Burger; and Video World (perhaps a hangout for the Arcade Rangers?).  It also has a very literal mom and pop grocery - the "Ma & Pa" grocery store.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #20 on: 18 October 2017, 15:49:55 »
Tagging this thread, some nice looking maps!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #21 on: 18 October 2017, 15:51:01 »
This block includes a demolished building (heavy rubble hex, for sure), along with the Spring Water Center, Brown's Moving Services, and the "Bar-for-All" Bar.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #22 on: 18 October 2017, 15:55:24 »
Stretching two blocks, Buchanan Park lets you get some light woods for cover.  It's intended to go with the Government Building, which is fronted by another, larger (and artistically divergent) chunk of Buchanan Park.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #23 on: 18 October 2017, 16:00:25 »
The Bureau of Public Works has a nicely landscaped entryway, and is abutted by Pegasus Engineering, Tobias' Garage, Phoenix Gas (there's that splash damage again), and Octavian's restaurant.  This building served as the "key" for the Advanced Set battle map, explaining why all the features are labeled.

(They got punny for the other sets, doing that on the "Key Building" or on "Key Industries")

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #24 on: 18 October 2017, 16:02:08 »
The Carthage Hotel is a solid chunk of real estate, adjoined by a hotel gift shop.  Though why they need a quarter of a city block to sell overpriced hotel bathrobes...

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #25 on: 18 October 2017, 16:03:35 »
The Cathedral is from the New York Campaign set.  Major cities in the Inner Sphere could be expected to have similar structures, at least where freedom of religion is tolerated.

And now you'll never confuse your pinnacles, crockets, and dormers again.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #26 on: 18 October 2017, 16:06:58 »
This split block gives you some elbow room via the alley and construction site.  The Executive Building, Centennial Building, and the Hotel Claire provide comprehensive cover.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #27 on: 18 October 2017, 16:18:44 »
This is a financial district block, featuring the Center City Bank & Trust, the First Planetary Bank (originally First Bank of New York, which seemed out of place for terrain intended for BattleTech use), and the Universal Express Traveler's Checks Office (another dated reference).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #28 on: 18 October 2017, 16:21:24 »
Given the fact that a lot of TSR people also did work for FASA back around the time this was drawn, I can't help but speculate that the Charette Building was a shout-out to Robert Charrette (Wolves on the Border, Heir to the Dragon, etc.). 

It's joined by Ivor's Pub, Barris Jewelers, 5th Avenue Optics, and the high rise Garfield Condominiums.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2017, 16:23:53 »
The Chateau on the Park luxury hotel may not have its own giant gift shop, but it makes up for it with more flags than any other building on the map. 

Register