Author Topic: Hawk H-2  (Read 2039 times)

Retry

• Lieutenant
Hawk H-2
« on: 22 October 2019, 00:20:59 »
Yet another no-fluff IS VTOL with a chin turret, specifically to wield the Large Laser which fits rather snugly in a turret.  The first model is a no-frills workhorse, if a bit unimpressive.
Code: [Select]
Hawk H-2
Mass: 25 tons
Movement Type: VTOL
Power Plant: 85 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 97.2 kph
Maximum Speed: 151.2 kph
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     2 LRM 5
     1 Large Laser
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 2500
Tech Rating/Availability: E/F-F-F-D
Cost: 942,639 C-bills
Type: Hawk
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Tonnage: 25
Battle Value: 696
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 2.5
Engine 85 Fusion 4
     Cruising MP: 9
     Flanking MP: 14
Heat Sinks: 10 0
Control Equipment: 1.5
Lift Equipment: 2.5
Power Amplifier: 0
Turret: 0.5
Armor Factor: 64 4
Internal
Structure Armor
Value
Front 3 16
R/L Side 3/3 12/12
Rear 3 10
Rotor 3 2
Turret 3 12
Weapons
and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
2 LRM 5s Front 2 4
Large Laser Turret 2 5
LRM 5 Ammo (24) Body 1 1

Variants:
H-3 Royal- 110 XLE, 10/15 movement, Ferro-Fibrous Armor (15/15/2/12/12 front/sides/rotor/turret/rear), Front-mounted Small Pulse Laser
H-4- Replaced the Large Laser with an ER Large Laser, and the LRM-5s with 6 RL-10s
H-6- 110 XLE, 10/15 movement, 3 tons Heavy Ferro-Fibrous Armor (12/12/2/12/10 front/sides/rotor/turret/rear), ER Large Laser in the turret, 2 MML-3s in front with 2 tons of ammo

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Hawk H-2
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2019, 09:46:49 »
(edited after reading the addendum. I thin you could get that 10/15 by dieting instead of XLE, but not with the added armor shown in the H-3 and H-6)

but really, you only need the LRM racks for dropping smoke or thunder-mines (and the second is only in optional rules now), so two five-racks aren't that great, esp. when you've got a back-armor-swatter that does 8 points of damage to a rear arc on anything that you would normally use a VTOL to deal with in direct fire.  Minus the bigger engine option, this is a credible design, meaning it's a solid bit of work, again not overpowered or excessive, that makes use of the free heat-sinks of a fusion mill fairly well, and it'll eat the lunch of designs like the Yellowjacket, Hawk-moth and similar fetishized big-gun VTOLs, while having the ability to at least try a return shot against other "hunter" VTOLs in the light range, and better still, it out-performs the Cyrano on everything but raw straight-line speed at 5 tons less and significantly better crash protection for the pilot in the event of a low-altitude interaction with something that shears your rotor off.

I don't favor it as much as your Martlet chin-turret design, as that one feels more like something with a definite role, but it's not a bad effort and not a truly poor design-it definitely has a role it performs well-enough, and the flexible mounting for the main gun makes up for a MP of movement in most cases, giving better combat performance than the Donar has simply on the basis that there are more angles where you can engage with your primary weapon,(Successfully), which means less need for that extra MP to turn while maintaining TMM in flight.

consider putting a light PPC on that turret instead?  it's 3 less damage, and you pick up a minimum range, but that's less of a concern when even your secondaries have a minimum engagement range. 
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2019, 14:59:15 »
You can do more damage with 2 SRM4s than 2 LRM5s, but smoke round is a interesting strategy to allow your units to get close unpunished. You probably can mix units with SRM and LRMs. 

It is fast and hard to hit but after you engage at short range you probably cannot take full advantage of your speed unless you hit and run - which is very efficient but extend a lot the game duration

Except for that, it is not so expensive because small fusion engines are cheap. If you don't have restrictions on the availability of fusion engines, it is off course much better than an ICE.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2019, 10:06:17 »
Can't remember, but can VTOLs carry sponsor turrets?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2019, 12:39:28 »
Why would you want to?  ???

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2019, 20:13:45 »
Front AND side arcs.  Don't know why, just occurred to me and thought I'd ask.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2019, 20:29:48 »
It just seems that a chin turret would cover all the bases...

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2019, 21:11:39 »
Yes, VTOLs can carry VTOL sponsons turrets.
It just seems that a chin turret would cover all the bases...
It really does.  But I kind of like the idea of a VTOL with a Sponson... Hmm...

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2019, 17:54:11 »
Makes me think of Vietnam.  Doesn't the chin turret have a blind spot?  I thought it was only 270' or something.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2019, 10:43:58 »
Makes me think of Vietnam.  Doesn't the chin turret have a blind spot?  I thought it was only 270' or something.
270 degrees is significantly better than the narrow arc of a fixed forward firing weapon on a Vehicle.  (the damage-going out diagram is a LOT narrower than the damage-coming-in diagram per arc.)  a 270 degree sweep gives your vtol the ability to fire sideways and even a little bit of an angle aft, which if you'er using it correctly means MP you don't have to spend on a turn to fire, but instead you can use it to maintain TMM while changing elevations to clear obstacles.

basically, you're only restricted from firing direct-aft, which only matters if you have a Mantis on your six and he's got short range to fire those pulse lasers, and if you DO spend that MP, you can use it to get any tailgater into your chin turret's engagement envelope without needing to flank.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2019, 21:11:31 »
side sponsons for an infantry carrier.  No good at a landing zone if everything from the sides can't be held down with covering fire.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2019, 21:18:03 »
Ok, that makes enough sense to MAYBE use them...

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2019, 21:49:14 »
Ok, that makes enough sense to MAYBE use them...
The Bustard I posted a bit back did exactly that.

The Puma, had it had sponsons, would have made it a rather quirky tank instead of just downright pointless.

Register