Author Topic: Knorpelkeks` terrain for AS  (Read 7668 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Knorpelkeks` terrain for AS
« Reply #30 on: 20 October 2022, 21:37:42 »
very well done
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2023, 04:04:15 »
@Knorpelkeks02

I am finally starting to make my own hills and mountains for AS, I am in the process in acquiring XPS boards, but I am not sure about the sizes of "kidneys" I need to cut.

Can you give me a run-down on what sizes are you hill/mountain shapes (layers)? And how much did you make out of each size?
I am not asking for super precise dimensions, I just need dimensions of a rectangle that will hold a given shape you cut.

I forgot to ask, what did you use for a brown wash? What would be good to use as a wash for terrain in general?
I am asking this, because there is no way to wash the terrain with washes I use for my minis, as I would use up all of it.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2023, 04:07:04 by RazorclawXLS »

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #32 on: 15 August 2023, 15:13:30 »
Sorry, I didn`t see your post until today.

The size of the kidneys depends on your gaming table and on the style you want to achieve. My goal was to have some hills which are fully walkable for the mechs. But I also have some w.i.p. hills for my dessert (with a different technique) which can only be mounted by jumping mechs.

The good thing with hills or rocks is, that you do not really have to care about scale or shape (from the aesthetic perspective). Just try out what is pleasing for you.

For making these hills I used a lot of scrap foam pieces. Unfortunately I can`t give you the rectangular measurements but I can give you some dimensions of the finished products. These are the biggest:

And these are the smallest ones:

Do not make them smaller if you want your mechs to have a solid stand on them.

By cutting and carving the rocks you will loose maybe round about 2cm (0,79inch) on each side. But you can always take away more if you want or need to. So maybe start a little larger than you feel it would be right.
I made sure that each smaller layer had the possibility to be positioned in a way that there was always at least one side with enough space for one hex base (at least). But don`t overthink it. Embrace the happy little accidents. After the first 4 hills I turned off my head and let the inspiration take me to wherever it wanted to. :smiley:

When washing terrain I always make my own cheap and simple wash by using acrylic paint (mostly burnt umber), water and a tiny drop of dish dertergent. I noticed that i like the result better if I do not use the cheapest paint because the better the paint the better the pigments and the better the effect. In my area we have the German brand "Schmincke". They have a series called "Akademie acryl color". They use pigments that are very opaque. I find them to be great for washing terrain. I always make a test model before washing all the other stuff.

Hopefully this helps a little bit.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2023, 00:40:12 by Knorpelkeks02 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 15 August 2023, 17:45:44 »
I see it's kidneys FTW! ;D

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #34 on: 16 August 2023, 00:45:44 »
I see it's kidneys FTW! ;D

That`s Capellan dedication. They give a kidney for Xin Sheng!  :grin:

Long live Capella! Long live Sun Tzu!  azn

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 17 August 2023, 17:42:54 »
Thank you very much, Knorpelkeks, for your extensive answer.

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #36 on: 18 August 2023, 14:55:20 »
Thank you very much, Knorpelkeks, for your extensive answer.

You are very welcome.  azn

Fell free to ask again if there is another question!

badlands

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: 28 October 2023, 05:34:00 »
WOW!!! That was really AWESOME!!! Great job, thanks for showing how you did that.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry. And the world will turn.
It's better than being stabbed in the eye with a sharp stick...

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #38 on: 14 February 2024, 05:20:51 »
Hello to everyone!  :cheesy:

After a short break, there is more to come. I have got some spare time during the next 2 weeks and I decided to make some terrain again.

Besides some buildings (still haven`t got a clue for some handmade ones) I always wanted to have a modular river. So let`s go picture heavy as usual!  :smilie_happy_clapping: Everything is built with materials I already have. No extra money is spent.

Some HDF-boards cut to pieces with my trusty coping saw with the measurements of 15x30cm and 15x15cm. The smaller sections will become bends.

A lot of sawing this time because the edges should not be straight lines.

The embankment is built with 2mm xps sheet an beveled with a box knife.

First check showed, that it fits quite good and the gaps between the pieces do not dominate the impression. But I also noticed, that I do not like the straight inner edge of the embankment. It looked like an artificial canal.

So I made some pieces out of the xps to disguise the straight lines and glued them to the inside.

With the sand on (this time bird`s sand) the little gaps between the pieces are hidden.

Next steps to come:

Paint and drybrush the sand and make some water. This time I won`t use epoxy resin. Much better! I will use a lot of thinned PVA and toilet paper.  :smilie_party_cheers:

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #39 on: 14 February 2024, 05:43:37 »
Nice idea! Nice to watch!

But a suggestion: Wouldn't it be better to have 45° angled river bends instead of 90° only? That should make layouts on the table more flexible and if a 90° angle is needed... 2 45° angle pieces and voila!
(and yes, i can imagine the pointy edge to be very prone to breakage...)

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #40 on: 14 February 2024, 09:03:28 »
Yes, you are right. A bend with 45° would be more flexible. I have to decide if those bends or a forking are more important to me. I will finish the actual pieces and decide according to my experiences (and my motivation).  :cool:

Knorpelkeks02

• Private
« Reply #41 on: 14 February 2024, 16:26:06 »
The progress of today:

Painting and drybrushing of the embankment: all pieces done

Toilet paper water: 9/10 straight pieces , 0/8 bends

I replicated the way making the water from a youtube video. This is how it works:

You will need a lot of watered down PVA!

Soak the base with PVA.

Lay down the first layer of toilet paper and soak it with PVA. Then stipple with a stiff brush like there is no tomorrow. This will remove every motive that is pressed into the paper.

Repeat soaking, laying down paper and stippling until you have 3 layers of toilet paper.

Than stipple one last time and try to make a wavy pattern.

Close up.

Next steps:

Finish the toilet paper on all pieces.

Paint the surface of the water in realistic colors.

Apply at least 3 layers of gloss varnish.

Drybrush the waves carefully with pure white.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #42 on: 14 February 2024, 17:35:19 »
Another amazing project!  I look forward to more! :)