Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 226086 times)

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #1260 on: 09 July 2018, 15:27:58 »
Well, at least no one will be surprised when the Aurigan Reach faction gets killed off. We already have the maps to prove they didn't make it.

Can't say the same for my poor Davions. Seems like they are getting ready to get kicked in the balls pretty hard when Shattered Fortress comes out...and by the balls I mean "national and regional capitals." Oh well, at least I still have the Marik's and the RasDom...don't I?

We'll always have the Confederated Suns....

I just wish the Dracs would get knocked down a peg.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1261 on: 09 July 2018, 15:38:19 »
I don't mind seeing the Capellans ascendant, and if you ask me, they can have Chesterton and New Syrtis so long as they slow down a bit.

The Combine, however. I'd LOVE to see them knocked down two pegs in Shattered Fortress. I hope the Republic and Julian can cook something up a bit, because....reasons?

I dunno why, but that Dragon needs slaying, so to speak.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1262 on: 09 July 2018, 16:01:39 »
I just want to see what form the FWL reclamation of Regulus took after those genocidal maniacs assassinated Jessica.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1263 on: 09 July 2018, 17:24:16 »
The Draconis Combine has consistently managed to do fairly well for itself. I think the main thing is that they suffer in other ways in the universe rather than militarily.

They do provide well for their citizens up to a certain point, but their economy is closed and slow to adapt to changes. Better quality goods and freedom of movement just isn't there and sacrificed for a strong military.

But for a wargaming universe, the main things are the boarders.

Kos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1264 on: 09 July 2018, 18:53:21 »
The Draconis Combine has consistently managed to do fairly well for itself. I think the main thing is that they suffer in other ways in the universe rather than militarily.

They do provide well for their citizens up to a certain point, but their economy is closed and slow to adapt to changes. Better quality goods and freedom of movement just isn't there and sacrificed for a strong military.

But for a wargaming universe, the main things are the boarders.

Yes, that's the Draconis way. 'Doing good' for their way of life involves constant war and expansion while still looking pretty dystopian on the ground. The other thing is that their wins spread them thin, despite all the wins in the Dark Age you get the feeling that they have/will over-extend themselves and will get bit for it. At the end of the day the Draconis way is unfeasible, they'll never rule the IS no matter how well they fight, and even if they did they'd never be able to maintain it with their social problems and penchant for civil wars. Heck, it's the case for most any expansionist venture: More conquests of neighbors = larger frontier = even more enemies to fight off. Eventually either the expansion will halt and the empire will fall to the now more numerous enemies surrounding it or it will continue to expand, become spread thin and fall to even more hostile neighbors and/or internal turmoil. I think the seeds of the DCs eventual defeat has already been planted via their gains by 3145. I mean best case scenario; they conquer the Fedsuns wholesale, then 'have' to fight the Ghost Bears, Snow Ravens, Capellans, Taurians, Republic, Magistry etc.

And that's from a lifelong Kurita fan... Please don't tell the ISF haha
« Last Edit: 09 July 2018, 18:55:17 by Kos »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1265 on: 09 July 2018, 19:12:45 »
The Draconis Combine's biggest threats right now are inside rather than outside. They killed everyone that dissented but I can't imagine it's as clean as all that. Anyways. A good topic for another thread.

I wish Ilclan would come out soon. Only have a month left before I've gotta spend all my time studying again.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1266 on: 09 July 2018, 19:19:26 »
To not get sidetracked too badly, the strong setting and room to maneuver is why I enjoyed the original 3025 setting so much. Those final years of the 3rd SW gave you a lot of room and story to explore. The universe had it's overarching narrative that moved very quickly from that though and you get the impression it took the players with it. A shame really. Would players who dislike the FedSuns have a different opinion if they had a better understanding of the internal and political workings of the state?

What I do find interesting is how the writers decided to turn back the clock somewhat to return to that setting with notable exceptions. I am looking forward to what happens. GenCon is about a month away and that is where we will hopefully have some products drop.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1267 on: 09 July 2018, 20:01:46 »
Can't say the same for my poor Davions. Seems like they are getting ready to get kicked in the balls pretty hard when Shattered Fortress comes out...and by the balls I mean "national and regional capitals." Oh well, at least I still have the Marik's and the RasDom...don't I?

Spoilers and teasers coming soon-ish!
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Kos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1268 on: 09 July 2018, 20:05:32 »
 :D

Joy!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1269 on: 09 July 2018, 21:30:07 »

Dont you dare tease us with spoilers and teasers about their being spoilers and teasers!!

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1270 on: 09 July 2018, 21:57:28 »

Replace "Davions" with "Steiners" and I'm feeling the same way! *laughs*

Spoilers and teasers you say? Yes, please! :drool:

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1271 on: 10 July 2018, 04:25:33 »
I wonder if the Ilclan is really just one clan and instead all the IS clans as some form of gestalt political entity mixed with what's left of the Republic, it would give a lot of friction between all the internal factions that would give writers a lot to play with if/when they want to get rid of them.

As for factions needing to be knocked down a peg, yep, some do need that, Drac's, Wolves, Falcon's, Cappies all do. As much as i'm not that much of a fan of the Fed's i don't want to see them become the cappies as under dog MKII, just slapped enough to change them, but they've had their time at the top and need a noticeable shake up, map wise not just internally. I also don't want to see the cappies remain the under dog either maybe a absorbing or joining with the Magistracy in an official manner and loosing some of the gains into Fed Suns so that they become stronger but allow the Feds to not get too kicked down, but that will rankle some Magistracy fans.

As for the Bears, if they get attacked they have enough forces in a relatively small area to attack back, but if they get left alone they will become stagnant, maybe the Commonwealth try their luck over the worlds the Bears accepted that were formerly Lyran worlds that the Wolves held.

Ok this turned into an incoherent ramble, sorry, if i waited until i was awake enough for this to make sense, i would have forgotten it  :-[
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1272 on: 10 July 2018, 06:25:18 »

That's what I like to see
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1273 on: 10 July 2018, 10:57:06 »

Wooo, color me titillated!

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #1274 on: 10 July 2018, 11:06:58 »
Wooo, color me titillated!

Ok. See attached.

No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1275 on: 10 July 2018, 11:18:07 »
Not that kind of titillated. But I giggled.

Also, I approve of Marauder pics in EVERY form! Especially in Shattered Fortress (hint, hint!)

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #1276 on: 10 July 2018, 12:09:53 »
Dont you dare tease us with spoilers and teasers about their being spoilers and teasers!!

Lol! Ahh the internet: where folks complain loudly about bad news, but not nearly so much as they complain about good news! You do have a point though. A teaser about spoilers is hype-squared.

To be perfectly honest, I’ll be OK if the Suns are beat down and pushed back from the core of the map. I’d hope they don’t totally fall apart completely, but it could be interesting to see how the deal with the hard choices of what to protect and what is worth trying to reclaim. Also, the citizens of those worlds may not exactly fall in line with their new overlords. Could be A whole mess of insurgency to deal with.

Anyway, I don’t think they will lose Panpour, so the Gunsmith should still be on the RAT, and that alone makes me happy. I love that little ankle-biter!
« Last Edit: 10 July 2018, 17:20:37 by sadlerbw »

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1277 on: 10 July 2018, 22:05:32 »
I don't know if this has been brought up recently...but since it seems that fiction is a high priority right now, are there any plans to make the BattleCorp fiction available again somehow? (Was in the middle of completing my collection when the site was taken down, missing the last couple year's worth.  :-\ )

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1278 on: 11 July 2018, 01:58:51 »
Actually came up in a topic about the Dark Marauder short story trilogy, the current focus seems to be on getting the new fiction published.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1279 on: 13 July 2018, 13:03:12 »

Any chance of an update Cubby? Shattered Fortress pics?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1280 on: 13 July 2018, 13:42:47 »
Less then a month till Gencon hopefully spoilers will be soon.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #1281 on: 13 July 2018, 16:38:19 »
I don't know if this has been brought up recently...but since it seems that fiction is a high priority right now, are there any plans to make the BattleCorp fiction available again somehow? (Was in the middle of completing my collection when the site was taken down, missing the last couple year's worth.  :-\ )

Specific plans, no; a general idea that it should happen, yes. As you say, the focus is on getting out fiction, but new fiction. Hoping to have an update for you all on that front next week.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #1282 on: 13 July 2018, 16:40:42 »
Any chance of an update Cubby? Shattered Fortress pics?

Not Shattered Fortress just yet, but working on an update right now. Stay tuned this evening!

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1283 on: 13 July 2018, 17:51:21 »
Not Shattered Fortress just yet, but working on an update right now. Stay tuned this evening!
Update from me: I loved it and can't wait to see it in print
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #1284 on: 13 July 2018, 20:43:03 »
To celebrate the imminent release of the BattleTech Beginner Box and BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat boxed sets, the release of Harebrained Schemes' BATTLETECH, as well as Piranha Games hotly-anticipated MechWarrior 5, new printings of the core BattleTech rulebooks are now available in PDF from the Catalyst Game Labs store.

The PDFs feature fully-updated errata and vintage artwork covers! As each of the core rulebooks are reprinted, they'll receive a vintage cover to celebrate the wonderful history of the BattleTech universe. Each represents the most up-to-date, polished version of the essential BattleTech rules.

Any customers who previously purchased these PDFs will receive an e-mail notification enabling them to download these updated printings.

The classic artwork gracing the covers of these products appears below. The line includes:

• Total Warfare, the core BattleTech rulebook. Following the book's print debut at Origins Game Fair and Gen Con, pre-orders for the print edition are now available, with an expected street date of August 22, 2018. (ARTIST: Les Dorscheid; First Publication: BattleTech Manual, 1987.)
  • TechManual, the core construction rulebook allowing players to create their own exciting units for unique BattleTech games. A companion volume to Total Warfare, TechManual provides construction rules for tournament-legal units, as well as core weaponry and equipment and the newest, bleeding edge technologies. (ARTIST: Doug Chafee; First Publication, Tactical Handbook, 1994.)
  • Tactical Operations, the advanced rules that apply to on-world operations. It includes new movement and combat options, an extensive Advanced Weapons and Equipment section, and the rules for playing and constructing advanced Support Vehicles and Mobile Structures. (ARTIST: Doug Chaffee; First Publication, CityTech, Second Edition boxed set, 1994.)
    Note: the hard-copy availability of the new printings of Tactical Operations and TechManual has not been determined.

A fully-updated errata PDF of Strategic Operations, the advanced rules for aerospace combat and solar system-level campaigns, is in the works. (ARTIST: Steve Venters; First Publication: BattleForce Box Set, 1987.)

The PDFs are priced at $15 each, and are available now.

« Last Edit: 13 July 2018, 20:50:02 by Cubby »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1285 on: 13 July 2018, 20:51:54 »
You made me happy and delighted with the Strat Ops cover, one of my favorite pieces of BT artwork ever.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #1286 on: 13 July 2018, 20:53:18 »
Neat, I just downloaded my pdfs from drivethru!

Question though:

Total Warfare with old cover says 4th printing.
Total Warfare new cover says 5th printing.

Tac Ops Old Cover says 2nd printing.
Tac Ops New Cover says nothing (no edition listed)

Tech Manual New and Old both say 3rd Printing.

Is this correct?  Or are all the files, regardless of cover, now updated to the most recent?
Captain is hilariously easy to set off, like a walking barrel of gunpowder within a self contained field of destructium and a great big button on his forehead that says "Push me for fireworks".

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1287 on: 13 July 2018, 21:10:34 »
My order of TacOps hasn't updated to the new version yet. Also, I just noticed that my orders for Total Warfare and TechManual seem to have vanished in the sands of time. Fair enough, I did buy them circa 2005-6...

Edit: Put it this way, my earliest saved orders on the Catalyst web store don't even have order numbers.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #1288 on: 13 July 2018, 21:41:19 »
With the new art, Tactical Operations will be the third printing, and TechManual will also be the third printing.

However, TechManual is potentially confusing, in that the last release before this one was PDF-only.  It was the 3rd version of TM, and it was intended to be the basis for a new printing (which is why Drivethru probably lists that old one as the "third printing"), but it never actually went to the printer until now, when we added yet more errata and so made a new version.  To sum up, this edition of TM with the new cover is the fourth TM release, but the third physical printing.

(TacOps also had a PDF-only release, but that was some time ago).
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1289 on: 13 July 2018, 21:41:49 »
Excellent choice of cover for Tech Manual. Very fitting, and also my favorite BT art.