Author Topic: Tell me about...The Nova  (Read 8002 times)

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Tell me about...The Nova
« on: 09 August 2011, 10:52:22 »
At first, when I was young and naive, I was unimpressed by a 50 ton clan omni, with a 5/8/5, and a dozen ERMLs.  But now I am a man, and I seem to understand...

Still, I want some opinions and info on this classic 3050 clan medium.

How does she handle?

Thanks in advance!

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: Tell me about...The Nova
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2011, 11:15:08 »
One of my favourite Clan Mechs.  I find it works well in conjunction with heavier Mechs, and its a rare jumper in the Invasion era.  Primarily arm-mounted weapons make it a good BA taxi, it has enough good variants that use the low podspace wisely, with the Prime, A and S being pretty good.  The B is a cheap way to get a Clan LPL on the field and still not have all the IS players groaning about cheese. Wish it dropped the MG ammo and ERSL for more AC ammo, though.  The C needs more gauss ammo but would be pretty nice against the newer plasma weapons.  "Ha, a Nova?  I'll take plasma cannons!"  "Guess what?  My Nova B doesn't feel the heat!"  The D works OK, not great.  Useful AA/anti-vee mech and another icebox.  The Nova really is made for energy weapons, not heavy missiles and ballistics.  The E is more like it, with lasers and ATMs.  Its brutal in built up terrain where it can jump and get in close with HE.  I like the H OK, really would like to see the HMLs be iHMLs since the range is so short.  Its the Prime, only more so since it can't even stay at medium range of most weapons. 

I don't mind the chassis' fixed JJs but the fixed DHS make it tough to have a good variant of the C or D since non-energy weapons are so heavy.  Also, (C)ERPPCs and GRs are brutal against the Nova, since the arms are maxed but thats only 16 points.  Its easy for a Nova to become disarmed by headcapping weapons. 

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2011, 11:58:38 »
Hm... I love the Nova Prime and S. Both are evil. The Prime cost too much BV but, you know, the Clan ER Mediums are barely disguised IS large lasers and you can fire lots of them. The firepower is great in both variants. The Nova S is also very dangerous thanks to its 6 medium pulse lasers (another set of barely disguised IS large lasers).

The problem is that it is not fast enough and lacks armor enough to last in long battles. It needs finesse and careful heat management. To sum up, it is a good mech that has aged not too well. In 3050 battles is impressive.. in 3075 battles not so much.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2011, 12:10:48 »
Blackhawk. Nova.
Call it what you will, but I have always loved it. Especially the Prime. 12 clan ERML, what's not to love? the heat it produces in an Alpha strike is enough to auto-shutdown.   If done well you never need to fire them al lat once even. but it's stil fun to watch my dedicated IS players groan as thye spot it for they know by now. Someone Dies this game. :). I have a star of them running around in Nova Cat paint schemes. in my book, she's up there with the Warhawk, Summoner, Direwolf, Timber Wolf, Kodiak, and Stone Rhino

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2011, 13:35:48 »
It needs finesse and careful heat management. To sum up, it is a good mech that has aged not too well. In 3050 battles is impressive.. in 3075 battles not so much.

To sum it up, it is an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2011, 15:04:35 »
The Nova was being phased out by everyone save the Hell's Horses leading up to the Jihad.  After the success of Diana Pryde and Samantha Clees, Clan Jade Falcon has resumed production of this venerable design.

I find the Nova to be a useful platform in every engagement.  While a 5/8/5 movement profile is not impressive, it's still good enough for a skilled warrior to keep the Nova out of trouble.  The Prime is probably my favorite.  The ERMLs are great against enemy 'mechs and infantry/BA formations, and you don't have to worry about ammo.  The one concern, as mentioned, is that the arms have a  tendency to get shot off a little too often by large caliber weaponry.  Fortunately, a Nova with 1 functioning arm is still pretty good.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2011, 15:17:50 »
Never really cared for the Prime.  Love the Nova though.  Prime just seems too overgunned with redundant weapons. 

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2011, 16:14:12 »
There are two variants on the Nova. I know, I know, you opened the TRO and saw many. Well, you're wrong. There are two- no more, no less.

The first one mounts large numbers of small weapons. ER mediums, heavy mediums, medium pulses. This version is extremely dangerous, though prone to overheating. Use all weapons at your own risk- but know that while you probably will shut down, your opponent likely is not particularly happy to have been lit up like that and may not be able to take advantage of it.

The second takes the effort to mount heavier weapons, but the chassis isn't suited to this. LRM-20, Gauss Rifle, etc... this is a bad idea, and should be left in the hangar for the second-in-command technician to rectify by converting to another configuration immediately. He should be chosen for the job because the tech who WAS in command should be on the bottom of the Nova's foot for thinking a Gauss Rifle was a good idea on a Mech like this. Dimwit.

OK, ok, there's ONE other version. The A, with the two PPCs? OK, mulligan- a little warm, sort of undergunned, but acceptable. Dropping one of the PPCs to gain a Prime's arm back would sure be a fun ride though.

So be careful what Nova you use. Some are warm-running but mighty rides, and others are the kind of Mech you give to someone you don't like.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2011, 16:20:24 »
I have had good luck with the LPL/UAC version.  Wishing I was home instead of work where I could double check, but I believe the BV on that one is quite a bit lower than the other ones making it punch above it's BV.  Especially since the Nova is maneuverable enough to make good use of the weapons.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2011, 16:25:13 »
I love using the Prime for two successive alpha strikes. Yes, chances of shutting down after the first alpha are high. But if you survive, you have a severely damaged opponent and the second alpha strike will finish him. If you do shut down... well, you didn't want to survive the battle anyway, didn't you? :D

Very risky strategy and I wouldn't seriously employ it if zellbrigen isn't in play or if I'm not extremely desperate, but I had good results with it so far. The Nova is a no-risk-no-fun 'Mech and I would stay far away from any of the big gun variants. The Prime, H and S are very powerful, if you use them right. The E has it's uses, too. The A, if I have no choice. The other variants? I would prefer entering the battlefield in nothing but my underwear instead of using them.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2011, 16:28:08 by DarkISI »
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2011, 16:58:58 »
Very risky strategy and I wouldn't seriously employ it if zellbrigen isn't in play or if I'm not extremely desperate, but I had good results with it so far. The Nova is a no-risk-no-fun 'Mech and I would stay far away from any of the big gun variants. The Prime, H and S are very powerful, if you use them right. The E has it's uses, too. The A, if I have no choice. The other variants? I would prefer entering the battlefield in nothing but my underwear instead of using them.

this here is a very true statement. i find it works most effectively when you're willing to push that heat curve a little higher each turn until you finish what you started. i finf this especially true with the prime and H variants (both of which i love). if you're taxiing BAs it's very useful cause of the weapon placement as well.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2011, 03:10:33 »
For a long time I loved the Nova, don't get me wrong; due to the fact that most of my Clan 'Mechs were from the old citytech 2nd edition boxed set I had two and learned to use them well. The Prime was my ride of choice, but nowadays I'd pick the H over it, or maybe one arm of the Prime and one of the H would be perfect.

That is, IF I picked up a Nova.

I discovered the Stormcrow fairly late (mostly because I don't play Clans much), and the Stormcrow is... well... it's just... brutal.

Admittedly, the Stormcrow is one of THE most optimized Clan 'Mechs, but still, for all that the Nova isn't as good as the Stormcrow it STILL costs more BV2.0-wise, one of the few things that makes me question BV2.

I mean, even the Summoner's BV2.0 is lower than the Black Hawk's in most cases! The only variant that is decently priced BV-wise and useful is the H, at 1900. The other decent variants clock in at above 2k at which point you may as well just get Summoners if you need jumping or Stormcrows if you need pure offense.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 'Mech and its flavor, but if you're looking for a design to use in BV2.0 balanced games this ain't one. I'm a proponent of BV, but sometimes it shows its flaws and this is one case of that.

(Seriously, why IS the Nova Prime's BV 2663? That's only 64 BV less than a Timber Wolf Prime! Sure it can deal damage, but the armor's low, the speed's mediocre at best, and alpha striking=shutdown.)

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2011, 06:21:09 »
Something that keeps occurring to me whenever I look at either 'Mech closely, but don't you guys think Komodo designers took several pages from Nova Prime manual? Granted it's darn hard to do a bad ML boat with DHS, and they tend to look very similar anyways, but these two mechs stats sure look very similar.
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2011, 08:34:30 »
The Komodo is fluffed as being a knock-off of the Nova.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2011, 08:45:13 »
The BV for the B model (UAC/LPL) is only 1543, which is less than the Wolfhound IIC.  In BV balanced matches, it pulls it's weight.  One of my favorite configurations (That and the S).

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2011, 09:38:35 »
Novas are good mechs until it loses its arms and then it usually has lost most of its firepower.

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2011, 10:02:58 »
The Nova is cooooool! (Well, at least the look  ;) )
Love the Nova B.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 10 August 2011, 11:36:17 »
(Seriously, why IS the Nova Prime's BV 2663? That's only 64 BV less than a Timber Wolf Prime! Sure it can deal damage, but the armor's low, the speed's mediocre at best, and alpha striking=shutdown.)

It's all in the offense. You end up effectively paying the same as you would for mounting 'only' 10 ERMLs but with no heat problems at all, and then all relevant BV calculations effectively treat the Nova as though it had a jump of 6 on top of that. (No, really; it's there in the math.) You end up with very nearly 3:1 ratio of offensive to defensive BV with the Prime.

(Okay, okay, I'm exaggerating. It's really only about 2.95-and-change to one...)

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #18 on: 10 August 2011, 15:44:08 »
Yeah, the Nova Prime is always a bit like a Lamborghini: it looks really cool, and its got impressive numbers so you want to take it, but it costs so much no one can ever afford it and when they finaly get it, they find it over heats at the drop of a hat and doesn't really handle that well.

The Nova S admittedly fixes most of that.  I guess like like the Nova Gallardo.  And the H is really good value, even if its a bit more like a big muscle car of a mech with nothing but power, power and more power (100 potental damage, and little hope of ever doing more than 30-40 thanks to heat and accuracy problems).

That said, I like all three of thouse models in their own ways.  A lot of people under estimate the Prime since 1) they never see it and 2) it's legendarialy inefficant, and it bits them hard.  Despite having only 'medium lasers', its solidly in the medium range at 15 hexes so between that and its speed its tricky to out range it if its well handled, even for something like a Summoner D or Stormcrow Prime that you'd think would have a field day.  And oh the power!  Even factoring in a few misses, it will still hit with three to five MLs a turn, which adds up faster than you think, since each hits 70% as hard as a large laser, and most mechs don't have 70% as many large lasers to shoot back with.

No one ever underestimates the S.  Everyone knows pulse lasers rule the game, and putting them on a nimble mech with solid heat dissapation is a recipie for success.  And no one under estimates the H, since it really is as problematic as everyone thinks it is unless you're playing against the IS, and IS players know how to handle mechs with a lot of weapons that hit hard out to nine hexes.  Though it is good value, and a good way to fight wall of steel type forces since their low speed and high armor plays into its low accuracy and high damage, with its value and manuverability being a nice tipping point if you're clever about using it.  Classic Lyran forces with a lot of mech and not a lot of skill are easy pray for that or any Nova.

As for the others... the A and B are pretty usable, and the D is a great value mech, with the LRMs doing good work for pure damage, but they're not really the same sort of sillyness.  The E and F are also pretty good (nice mix of the ML spam and some other big guns) but you actualy pay for what you get, so they're nither 'value' choices nore 'crazy' choices.

"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2011, 16:09:38 »
I cannot badmouth the Nova Prime or H models. While my personal favorites are the A and S variants, I have a friend who loves the Prime and H.

He usually uses only one arm at a time. Unless he's wandering down the street and a Timber Wolf steps around the corner. Then he pushes the big red button.

Actually seen him do this at least once with each variant. He gets to the "Oh Crap" moment, alphas, shuts down while his opponent falls over dead, gets shot by a second guy, losing one of his arms, restarts, smiles, and says, "Thanks for dealing with my heat problem!" And then proceeds to rip said second guy a new starfish.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #20 on: 10 August 2011, 16:10:45 »
Yeah, the Nova Prime is always a bit like a Lamborghini: it looks really cool, and its got impressive numbers so you want to take it, but it costs so much no one can ever afford it and when they finaly get it, they find it over heats at the drop of a hat and doesn't really handle that well.

The Nova S admittedly fixes most of that.  I guess like like the Nova Gallardo.  And the H is really good value, even if its a bit more like a big muscle car of a mech with nothing but power, power and more power (100 potental damage, and little hope of ever doing more than 30-40 thanks to heat and accuracy problems).

Sounds like a mech that should be tested by the Top Gear crew.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 10 August 2011, 17:27:26 »
What about the Nova's non-Omni cousin, the Black Hawk (not IS).  One from the Dark Age record sheets.  I found despite it not being flexiable OmniMech, a rather good design despite everything.  I believe that Master and Minions mentions its production, rather the original Nova.   

With tech slide underway, i would half expected the 'Mech to show up soon like in TRO:3085.  We've yet get CGL version of the 'Mech and explaination if Nova is actually in production or the Dark Age version.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #22 on: 11 August 2011, 00:57:18 »
I'm pretty sure we are going to overcook the Top Gear guys, but the Nova family sure would make for an interesting MotW article.

And I mean family, when you look at it, a Mech that has been spun into that many directions, well...

Supernova, Nova, Black Hawk, Black Hawk-KU, Komodo. Plenty of same in different twists.
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #23 on: 11 August 2011, 01:25:50 »
Well, I've just kitbashed an F ... anyone got any good battle tales of that variant?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 11 August 2011, 02:08:22 »
With tech slide underway, i would half expected the 'Mech to show up soon like in TRO:3085.  We've yet get CGL version of the 'Mech and explaination if Nova is actually in production or the Dark Age version.
It was published at BattleCorps together with the Koshi 2.
In form of a mini-TRO.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 11 August 2011, 07:12:08 »
What about the Nova's non-Omni cousin, the Black Hawk (not IS).  One from the Dark Age record sheets.  I found despite it not being flexiable OmniMech, a rather good design despite everything.  I believe that Master and Minions mentions its production, rather the original Nova.   

The Black Hawk lost needed armor and has too much ammo- which is stored in side torsos that now can be breached by a single 15 point hit.

Played it once, fought it twice and did not find it as scary as the Nova.

A current RS is found in DTP: Liao, fluff in the BC mini TRO. In short: The Horses downgraded the Nova, the Sea Foxes got the rights on it and now sell it to everybody. There are two main variants and possible a Clan-only variant.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #26 on: 11 August 2011, 16:00:37 »
I'm pretty sure we are going to overcook the Top Gear guys, but the Nova family sure would make for an interesting MotW article.

Could be worse.  Every since my son got into Seasame Street, I've had the idea for an Elmo's World theamed MotW...

"Dorthy has a question: how do you use a Nova?  Good question Dorthy!  Let's ask Mr Noodle..."
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: 11 August 2011, 16:36:34 »
It was published at BattleCorps together with the Koshi 2.
In form of a mini-TRO.

I know they were, but there not in a general release for rest of the public. Past releases for 'Mechs in sourcebooks have been added to TROs, why to Black Hawk (Standard) and Koshi (Standard)?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 11 August 2011, 20:41:27 »
Yeah, the BattleCorps only record sheets suck for some of us who can't afford BattleCorps...

Oh well, until told differently, for the Nova (Black Hawk) and Koshi Dark Age variants, I guess I'll have to use the MechWarrior Record Sheet Book I bought a long while back...

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #29 on: 11 August 2011, 22:55:05 »
Could be worse.  Every since my son got into Seasame Street, I've had the idea for an Elmo's World theamed MotW...

"Dorthy has a question: how do you use a Nova?  Good question Dorthy!  Let's ask Mr Noodle..."

That would not be the most hilariously horrific thing I've seen done to Sesame Street, so I say go for it!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2011, 00:09:32 »
I have four Novas and have used the S varient very successfully. Six Clan MPLs on a chassis jumping five hexes and not overheating is phenomenal.
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2011, 01:10:32 »
I love the Prime version and have found it an excellent source of causing anguish to my enemys and fun riding a heat curve for me.  ;)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Register