Author Topic: Talk to me about.. the Poignard  (Read 2152 times)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Talk to me about.. the Poignard
« on: 25 August 2011, 05:13:47 »
The little fighter with the armour of a Shiva. What do we think?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: Talk to me about.. the Poignard
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2011, 08:44:03 »
I'm not sure what I think, really.  The LAC/5 has bothered me a bit ever since I got TRO3085 but I've never really found anything satisfying to replace it with on an aesthetic level.  (Obviously you can use an ERML and more sinks.)  The maneuverability is attractive despite the limited fuel load and the heavy armor is going to make a large difference compared to your usual fighters in that range.  Overall, I guess I'd call it interestingly quirky and useful.

The ERLL-armed L3 looks promising, although there's a (now reported) lack of a second ERLL.

As far as the R3 goes, I'm unconvinced on the utility of massed SPLs (and really unconvinced of any pressing need for an anti-infantry strafing design), but I'd be more interested in seeing someone else's opinion on that one at this point.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2011, 13:36:38 »
 On the R3, I use them as an expendable point defense fighter. There are plenty of ships that need it with the proliferation of missiles, and a flight of them can be invaluable in protecting larger ships. Sure the BV may be high, but compared to what they are protecting...
 As for anti-infantry, its an experiment. Its nice not worrying about bombs, and the Free Worlds League was known for oversized infantry formations so it may be practical. I probably should not comment more since I haven't playtested it in that role at all.

The primary version is an acceptable fighter. I agree that I don't like LACs, but it works with the design. Its weaponry is logical and as you said it has armor to go around.

The ER version is fun.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2011, 14:34:08 »
While I didn't design it I don't mind saying that I came up with the basic requirements. Welshman let that cat out of the bag a while ago. In part it was a response to the FWL tin clad tradition. In part I had been using heavy fighters to shield my Shiva forces and something tickled my fancy about using light fighters for the role. And there was a convenient hole in the FWL lineup.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2011, 13:49:49 »
It's a very... welll... Davion fighter. Makes me wonder if the Dagger design team were retained as consultants.

There's the name - French for Dagger - ludicrous armour for a fairly light fighter - much like the Dagger and the Corsair in general and some of its variants in particular, and finally there's the ballistic nose gun flanked by beamers - again quite similar to a couple of the Dagger configs.

I love the artwork though.