Author Topic: Fuel usage on liftoff  (Read 1681 times)

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
Fuel usage on liftoff
« on: 18 June 2016, 11:34:26 »
Rather than wait weeks for an official answer for what is probably already answered somewhere (though I have certainly looked!), I'll just ask here:

How much fuel does an aerospace or conventional fighter use on a horizontal liftoff?

AT2R says that it takes 1d6x10 points of fuel, but I can't find anything in TW, TM, TO, SO or any of the errata. Closest thing I can find is this:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=3599.0;nowap

But I cannot find it in the errata.

To wit:

"When taking off from a ground map using a horizontal, rolling liftoff (see p. 88, TW), an aerospace fighter, conventional fighter, aerodyne small craft, or aerodyne DropShip expends 1 thrust point and fuel point to put the vehicle on the appropriate hex of the atmospheric map moving at 1 hex per turn. The vehicle may not expend additional thrust that turn, representing the low-and-slow nature of aircraft at the moment of takeoff."

Going from 10-60 points to a single point seems rather extreme to me.

Am I missing something?

sillybrit

• Major
Re: Fuel usage on liftoff
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2016, 16:41:03 »
It's 2 thrust points for a horizontal liftoff, not 1.

The AT2R fuel requirement seems excessive, so there may have been a deliberate change, likely just sticking to the standard rate of fuel usage for the sake of simplicity. It's also possible that the AT2R value was forgotten when the TW rules were written.

I'd suggest asking officially if it really worries you.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2016, 20:41:43 »
It's 2 thrust points for a horizontal liftoff, not 1.

From the cited thread (emphasis mine):

"When taking off from a ground map using a horizontal, rolling liftoff (see p. 88, TW), an aerospace fighter, conventional fighter, aerodyne small craft, or aerodyne DropShip expends 1 thrust point and fuel point to put the vehicle on the appropriate hex of the atmospheric map moving at 1 hex per turn. The vehicle may not expend additional thrust that turn, representing the low-and-slow nature of aircraft at the moment of takeoff."

Where does it say that it is 2 fuel points? I've been looking for the TW/SO rule.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2016, 22:03:56 »
Check the actual issued TW errata PDF or the Corrected Fourth Printing. It's 2 thrust points.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2016, 23:00:54 »
Ah. Found it. My errata was a few years out of date.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2016, 02:07:50 »
DOH! Try not to kick yourself too hard for that oversight  :P