Author Topic: DFA and House Rules Question  (Read 4617 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
DFA and House Rules Question
« on: 12 February 2018, 16:07:22 »
In our last game of Alpha Strike, my step-son wanted to DFA one of my mechs and in the process spear it with his mech's melee weapon (he was using a Hitotsume Kozo.)  Oh, and my guy was underwater.  So having explored my various rule books, my determination was the answer was no on all accounts.   So he promptly asked if we could make a house rule for performing a DFA and a melee strike in the same move (dry land only), essentially dive bombing someone with a sword.  While the idea sounds cool and presents an awesome image and all, I'm not sold on it, and I don't know if I really want to break the 'only 1 physical attack per turn' rule.  But I told him I would look into it and see if anyone else had come up with a similar idea.

Has anyone come up with something for this scenario, or any thoughts on how to potentially pull it off?  Thanks in advance!  :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
Re: DFA and House Rules Question
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2018, 16:29:36 »
Let him do it, but his mech immediately takes DFA falling damage using the punch to-hit table. If I'm imagining it correctly, his mech is diving down with the melee weapon extended. Personally IMHO this sort of attack against the "spirit" of Battletech and more of an anime move (I could see stuff like this in Heavy Gear, to an extent, or Jovian Chronicles, which has more of that aesthetic...), but if it must happen, make him pay for it...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2018, 18:39:47 »
Add one to the normal melee damage but the attacker takes damage like a DFA?
If there’s no drawback, there’s no reason every weapon attack wouldn’t do that.
If using Speical Pilot Abilities, perhaps give one that gives the +1 to melee with jumping without taking damage.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2018, 20:50:39 »
If using SPAs require melee master. Handle the DFA as a normal DFA but handle the sword attack as per the retractable blade rules in TO (the crit seeking ones).

As such, melee master allows 2 attacks (usually 3 punches or 2 kicks). If the attack is more like a normal DFA, jump on target it should work out fine. For more animeish attack of diving sword first into the enemy... Never ever ever. BattleMechs are not built that way. Explain that, then explain what would be possible.

I would allow that sort of house rule in my games, though it does lean more towards aToW rather than TW or AS.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2018, 23:37:43 »
Thanks for the input all.  Like the points on BT vs anime. 

I will explain things a bit more and point out the physics as mentioned.  But if he insists on it, I'll allow it, for a price  >:D.  I like the melee damage +1 idea for the attack, but I'm thinking he'll be taking DFA miss damage with a +2 instead of +1, whether it is a hit or a miss.  The more I think about it, the more it seems like a kamikaze move for a mech.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Register