Author Topic: Nebula California Campaign ala Star Trek Voyager  (Read 3810 times)

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
Nebula California Campaign ala Star Trek Voyager
« on: 03 May 2020, 18:06:24 »
The characters will be 7500 XP and department heads on the exploration team. The timeframe is going to be earlier for a few reasons, most I'm keeping secret in case a player sees this.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Nebula California Campaign ala Star Trek Voyager
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2020, 18:10:51 »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2020, 18:22:28 »
Indeed!  Though I'll say 7,500 XP is pretty high up there if you use the full aging rules...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2020, 18:37:31 »
Also feel free to co-opt any of my supplements down in the Fan Rules.  There were a couple oversights.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2020, 21:24:07 »
Indeed!  Though I'll say 7,500 XP is pretty high up there if you use the full aging rules...

Not considering the level of training, rank, and skill that an expedition would be looking for. This isn't just highly trained individuals, but multifaceted ones as this is a multi-year expedition. Characters will have to have either degrees and lots of time or persons with high levels of training. The head of the technical section is not only able to handle vehicles, but mechs as well as aero. Plus he's former Hover Cav and an Officer. Sure he's 42, but these are career individuals that we are talking about.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2020, 02:47:50 »
So... 9,600 XP characters?  ???

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2020, 09:52:33 »
So... 9,600 XP characters?  ???

No, 7,500. I thought the 100 XP per year was only if you were just putting in extra years to get to a specific age outside of Life Paths or if you were doing point buy.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2020, 10:14:42 »
Oh, this sounds like it'll be fun! Keep us in the loop?

- Herb

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2020, 12:21:38 »

- Herb

Absolutely will!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2020, 19:09:36 »
No, 7,500. I thought the 100 XP per year was only if you were just putting in extra years to get to a specific age outside of Life Paths or if you were doing point buy.
If you use the full aging rules, it is indeed 100 XP per year over 21 (for IS characters).  It makes "Civilian Job" XP neutral, which is very appropriate for a "marking time" module.  TPTB actually did put in a lot of thought for AToW.  They just missed a few things...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2020, 20:27:50 »
Double correction it is an optional rule, not a standard one.

So yes if you use it as you choose modules you get extra appropriate XP and have extra XP to use by just setting your age with point buy.

As an important distinction there are the aging attribute modifiers to consider too.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2020, 22:21:58 »
Yeah, using the aging modifiers. Not going to use the 100 XP per year unless they are just marking time (one character did to get enough years that he reached his 20 years in the military and retired). And Point Buy isn't being used, Life Paths are.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2020, 19:11:43 »
Not how I'd do it, but it's your table... enjoy!  :thumbsup:

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2020, 22:07:39 »
Yeah, using the aging modifiers. Not going to use the 100 XP per year unless they are just marking time (one character did to get enough years that he reached his 20 years in the military and retired). And Point Buy isn't being used, Life Paths are.

How are you doing the Life Paths?  Since these are supposed to be exceptional people, are you planning on rolling (n+1)d6 for the chart that is nd6?  I.e. If you are rolling on the 2d6 chart, you roll 3d6, and select which 2 dice you want to use, and for the 3d6 charts you roll 4d6 and select which 3 to use

Or are you going to give each character sufficient quirks to balance the XP? (which could be fun all on its own)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2020, 00:20:03 »
TPTB actually did put in a lot of thought for AToW. 

You have NO idea...

- Herb

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 06 May 2020, 07:34:21 »
Standard 2d6 for the Event rolls.

As for quirks, Having enough Paths to reach 7500 and those rolls along with it should have more than enough quirks. Plus I tend to game with players that don't mind flawed characters.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2020, 07:37:24 »

- Herb

Talked to some of the players and floating an idea. Since they are each department heads, after each session one will write up a report on the current mission.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 06 May 2020, 16:46:43 »
12 o'clock reports for a game? Hilarious!  ;D

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2020, 18:23:02 »
12 o'clock reports for a game? Hilarious!  ;D

Glad you like! Thought it'd be fun.