Author Topic: Any Idea Who Killed MacKenzie Wolf and why?  (Read 2572 times)

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
Any Idea Who Killed MacKenzie Wolf and why?
« on: 23 April 2018, 13:43:52 »
Just  prior to the Dragoon Civil War,   Jaime Wolf's son (and designated successor) was sent on a mission to the periphery along with a representative sample of members of Wolf's Dragoons on what seemed to be a "team building exercise" and a chance to show case MacKenzie Wolf's leadership skills.    The mission was to reclaim the warships that the Dragoons had originally brought back when they came to the Inner Sphere in 3005.

The mission was successful but a brief firefight with some pirates which had apparently found the Dragoon ships and taken up residence there resulted in the death of Wolf.

It has been inferred that Wolf might've been killed by Dragoons who were discontented with Jaime Wolf's leadership and later were against him in the civil war.

But.

Elson Novacat who effectively became leader of the anti Jaime Wolf faction in the Civil War was not present when MacKenzie was killed.    He was with a different boarding party and was apparently surprised by Wolf's death.

Yet,  other than Wolf's death being referred to as "suspicious" I've never heard any more about it.

Is this like Simon Cameron,  Morgan Hasek-Davion,  Arthur Steiner-Davion, and so many others in the BT universe?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Any Idea Who Killed MacKenzie Wolf and why?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2018, 13:47:18 »
You can't resolve every open hook like that because then there's never any room for the answer to have been "it was the Player Characters!"

cobaltcoil

• Sergeant
  • Cry Havoc and Let Loose the Wolves/Coyotes of War
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2018, 14:37:00 »
There were other Dragoons who were disenchanted with Jaime Wolf and his policies, who could have engineered Mackenzie's death....Elson knew that someone set him up to be killed, just who it was was never stated but it was an assassination to put someone else in power who would change Jaime Wolf's policies about supporting the Inner Sphere against the Clans...they wanted to strike out against the Inner Sphere and aid the Clans....the Clan bondsmen and certain of the other Dragoon Colonels come to mind...wanting to avenge themselves on House Kurita and House Marik being the most likely targets for attacks on Dragoon dependents, but Kurita being the most likely target....they were also opposed to following Kerlin Ward's orders about turning their backs on the clans to train the Inner Sphere to fight the Clans and help them by supplying them with blueprints to build Star League and/or Clan tech weapons and Mechs, Aerospace Fighters and such....

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2018, 15:14:33 »
He was killed in a skirmish with the scavengers they found in the Dragoons cache fleet.  The implication from the conversation between Elson and Edelstein is that Edelstein either let Mckenzie die by deliberately arriving too late to assist his team, or killed him and anyone else who survived the firefight.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2018, 21:35:08 »
Blakists did it. They hated the WD, and assassinating the heir-designate then engineering an internal war smells of a ROM playbook move. It was almost certainly Blakists. Or maybe genecaste.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2018, 21:38:31 »
Wolverines.

Seriously, though, it's intentionally ambiguous.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2018, 22:00:25 »
 I am willing to go with pirates. Possibly sponsored pirates (ROM was more than willing to recruit thugs), but pirates.

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2018, 23:11:25 »
I am willing to go with pirates. Possibly sponsored pirates (ROM was more than willing to recruit thugs), but pirates.

Clearly, it was Blakist Pirate Wolverines.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2018, 02:29:31 »
Clearly, it was Blakist-Pirate-Wolverines-Ninja-Robot-Cowboys-Green Ghosts

Fixed that for you.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2018, 02:34:20 »
Clearly, it was Blakist Pirate Wolverines.

have we ruled out genecaste

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2018, 02:41:13 »
have we ruled out genecaste
"Clearly, it was Blakist-Pirate-Wolverines-Genecaste-Ninja-Robot-Cowboys-Green Ghosts"

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2018, 02:47:25 »
Forgetting hyperspace ghosts and the clone of Hanse Davion? For shame.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2018, 03:20:22 »
OK, I give up.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2018, 08:19:12 »
 I was not even saying Blakist ROM. It could have been a group that Seneca was using to hunt the origins of the Dragoons who were later forgotten.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2018, 10:44:17 »
Another mystery of course is who was Coordinator Taragi Kurita's late night visitor and what was their purpose the night he died of natural causes?    And who really assassinated Primus Hollings York.

I like the unsolved mysteries of Battletech.    It gives the BT universe flavor and makes it seem more realistic.   

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2018, 10:50:13 »
There isn't alot of info go with. Since its a plot device, but it could have been "arranged" by what i would loosely says disgruntle elements in the Dragoons.  Those elements may have been eliminated in course of off-screen death of MacKenzie. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register