Author Topic: Getting back into board game - thoughts?  (Read 1241 times)

buffalobob317

• Recruit
Getting back into board game - thoughts?
« on: 14 December 2023, 10:25:42 »
Hello BT Forum Members,

So I'm a BT fan from awhile back, and am just getting back into the board game.  (It's maybe been 15 years since I last played.)  I have roughly 40 mech minis (mostly all Inner Sphere mechs) and all the original rules and compendiums.

In a couple weeks, I have 3 friends coming over to learn how to play. (They're all regular gamers, so they can pick up a game quickly.  They just have never played BT board game before.) Here's what I'm thinking, but would love any feedback from seasoned players on a best design...

Game 1 Intro:
- 2 mechs per each player (maybe a light and a medium)
- All out battle just to learn mechanics  (keeping pilot and gunnery skill same for all)
- Does this make sense for a starter game and what mechs would you recommend?

Game 2 - The Real Game
- Teams of 2 (so 2x2 match)
- One player on each team gets a light, heavy and assault mech  (assault team)
- Other player on each team gets 2 lights, med and heavy  (recon team)
- This way we can play recon / assault style of play
- Pilot and gunnery skill same for all (to keep it easy)
- Goal to obviously destroy each other, but also put 1 "objective" on the board that say "if you hold this for 3 turns you get a backup mech on the battlefield"
- Thoughts?

Just to make this easier for the new players, instead of everyone picking mechs, I was thinking about pre-selecting the small lances for the above in advance.  So basically something like "pick option #1 or #2 for your lance", which are both pre-set and balanced with the design above.

Thoughts on this?  Too complex for our first time out?  What mechs would everyone recommend we use?   (I want to keep it to Inner Sphere, Succession War style only)

I do have significant amounts of Mech sheets and also planned to put them in sleeves to use dry erase markers for the management.  I should also say I do have all hex-base maps for this, so I'm hoping that also keeps things easier first time out.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you're willing to share!

-K

Nerroth

• Captain
Re: Getting back into board game - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2023, 10:34:27 »
Have you taken a look at the Alpha Strike game system?

AS began as the "Quick-Strike" miniature rules in a previous edition of BattleTech: Strategic Operations, before it was spun off into its own full-fledged game line. It uses Unit Cards (with BattleForce-level stats) instead of Record Sheets; most units in the game have black-and-white Unit Cards shown for free over on the Master Unit List website.

Speaking of free: there is a set of "quick start" rules for Alpha Strike available as a PDF here.

Beyond this, there is an Alpha Strike Boxed Set - though the minis therein can of course be used for "classic" BattleTech also - and the Alpha Strike: Commander's Edition rulebook.

Of course, if you and your colleagues prefer to stick with Total Warfare (or "classic" BT) scale play, well and good. But, it might be handy to show a new group of players that there are multiple ways in which to engage with this universe on the tabletop!
« Last Edit: 14 December 2023, 10:46:40 by Nerroth »

buffalobob317

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2023, 11:13:44 »
Thanks for the quick response.

I have played Alpha Strike once before, but was hoping to play this as "Total Warfare" (Classic) partially as that what I remembered playing in the past.

Thanks!

General308

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2023, 11:58:57 »
Have you taken a look at the Alpha Strike game system?

AS began as the "Quick-Strike" miniature rules in a previous edition of BattleTech: Strategic Operations, before it was spun off into its own full-fledged game line. It uses Unit Cards (with BattleForce-level stats) instead of Record Sheets; most units in the game have black-and-white Unit Cards shown for free over on the Master Unit List website.

Speaking of free: there is a set of "quick start" rules for Alpha Strike available as a PDF here.

Beyond this, there is an Alpha Strike Boxed Set - though the minis therein can of course be used for "classic" BattleTech also - and the Alpha Strike: Commander's Edition rulebook.

Of course, if you and your colleagues prefer to stick with Total Warfare (or "classic" BT) scale play, well and good. But, it might be handy to show a new group of players that there are multiple ways in which to engage with this universe on the tabletop!

Nothing wrong with Alpha Stike.  But it is not a gateway drug to Battletech.  I really do not understand why people recomend using it as a starter game.   Use AS if you want to teach you friends and AS style game and BT if you want to teach BT.  Teaching someone a whole different system and then saying ok I taught you that so you will play this is a great way to agervate people in my opinion

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2023, 12:03:36 »
MODERATOR NOTICE

Folks, we are not having a debate over the merits of Alpha Strike.  The OP has indicated that's not what they're looking for, move on.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2023, 12:43:39 »
I have introduced new players to Battletech before using the basics in a one in one fight, it was very straightforward for my group. You can also use the intro rules to simplify things a little more if managing crits and such seems much for anyone in their first go.

I would personally be prepared for a little flexibility when it comes to teams. I know it's a pain to get BV to match up but I always thought one of the best parts of BT was finding a mech you like. If the lances/teams are close enough equally match, it could be as easy as swapping a mech before the start of the game.

Objectives are a great ideas, no reason every game should be a grinder, especially for newer players.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

wundergoat

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2023, 12:52:43 »
I would avoid light mechs for the first game or two, particularly with introtech.  It is a trap I’ve fallen into before.  The combination of light firepower, high mobility, and difficulty hitting can make matches feel like drawn out miss fests that come down to luck.

I would recommend using 4/6/x trooper type medium and heavy mechs.  This will result in more shots hitting but mechs are tough enough to take the hits.  Mobility is such that maneuvering for advantage is possible but you can’t just disengage whenever you lose initiative and you don’t have so many options to put the newbies into a decision-lock. You’ll also introduce more weapons and heat management early.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2023, 13:32:17 »
I would avoid light mechs for the first game or two, particularly with introtech.  It is a trap I’ve fallen into before.  The combination of light firepower, high mobility, and difficulty hitting can make matches feel like drawn out miss fests that come down to luck.

I would recommend using 4/6/x trooper type medium and heavy mechs.  This will result in more shots hitting but mechs are tough enough to take the hits.  Mobility is such that maneuvering for advantage is possible but you can’t just disengage whenever you lose initiative and you don’t have so many options to put the newbies into a decision-lock. You’ll also introduce more weapons and heat management early.

I agree on the fast mechs.  I love to use them but they are going to frustrate a new player.  Another thing I would consider with Newbies is starting them with lower P/G skills.  New players get excited over hitting there targets especially first couple of games this makes it easier to do.  Let them hit the "Bad guys" a lot and you can hook them

Lion-Face

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2023, 14:42:48 »
I have introduced a couple of people to Battletech classic over the past year, with myself being fairly new to the game, so from my perspective: 

1v1 is good for learning the basic operation but will devolve into a 4-6 hex standoff blasting away, not a lot of tactics coming into play but allows people get to grips with basic movement, heat, weapon cycling etc.  Doesn't excite me and doesn't show off Battletech in its best form but good for fundamentals.

2v2 takes everything from 1v1 but brings movement, flanking and other tactics into play.  Much more interesting and starts to get into what makes Battletech fun, if they aren't completely green this I think is a good starting point.

I would stick to 1 medium and 1 heavy, as the tactics are kept simpler and similar, lights and assaults require a different thought process to get the most from them, so best left until people are more comfortable with the game.

4v4 when players are comfortable.  2v2 can take a few games, I haven't introduced objectives even in first 4v4 game as there is still a lot of learning being done, and this is where assaults and lights can be introduced.  I would ideally set the 'mechs to be used before allowing your players to select from a range of 'mechs as they develop a preferred style of play. 

I think your plan for the first game is good, I think your second game you are trying to introduce a little too much in one jump.  But that will come down to how well people latch on during the first game and are ready for that complexity.  I have taught green people to board games in general, so my path is slower than if my friends were more used to board games. 

buffalobob317

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2023, 14:55:34 »
To everyone that has replied thus far - thank you - this is really great feedback to help me plan.

Very much still open to thoughts....

jasonf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2023, 15:24:48 »
I have introduced a couple of people to Battletech classic over the past year, with myself being fairly new to the game, so from my perspective: 

1v1 is good for learning the basic operation but will devolve into a 4-6 hex standoff blasting away, not a lot of tactics coming into play but allows people get to grips with basic movement, heat, weapon cycling etc.  Doesn't excite me and doesn't show off Battletech in its best form but good for fundamentals.

2v2 takes everything from 1v1 but brings movement, flanking and other tactics into play.  Much more interesting and starts to get into what makes Battletech fun, if they aren't completely green this I think is a good starting point.

I would stick to 1 medium and 1 heavy, as the tactics are kept simpler and similar, lights and assaults require a different thought process to get the most from them, so best left until people are more comfortable with the game.

4v4 when players are comfortable.  2v2 can take a few games, I haven't introduced objectives even in first 4v4 game as there is still a lot of learning being done, and this is where assaults and lights can be introduced.  I would ideally set the 'mechs to be used before allowing your players to select from a range of 'mechs as they develop a preferred style of play. 

I think your plan for the first game is good, I think your second game you are trying to introduce a little too much in one jump.  But that will come down to how well people latch on during the first game and are ready for that complexity.  I have taught green people to board games in general, so my path is slower than if my friends were more used to board games.
I think this is all sound advice for when you are starting out. I'd also suggest just play to destroy the opposition the first few games before introducing more complicated objectives.

Only thing I'd add is to give everyone "veteran" Piloting/Gunnery skills (so 4P/3G). This helps speed the game up a bit and makes rolls manageable enough that people will hit enough 'Mechs to have fun.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2023, 15:44:11 »
Veteran skills are default in my group for that very reason.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 15 December 2023, 15:35:23 »
running lights is fine in fact its actually good, but I would suggest slower lights like the panther and valkerye as its hard for them to get really high movement mods.

same idea as mediums and heavies, but as lights they are more "squishy"

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 16 December 2023, 08:39:01 »

I'd even say that's a point worth noting even with more advanced (up to 3060-ish) tech. At one point, I tried playing a game with just light mechs, thinking that it would be over quickly, but between the missing and the lack of killing firepower, it was actually slower.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2023, 18:03:56 »
If this were 1993, I'd recommend a lance vs. lance, 3025, basic, no Battletech Manual or Compendium, for your Intro: For your Real Game, have a good military-objective, not just a Bot-Match.  Like, taking out a key-figure on a Capellian-world or knocking out an objective-raid like a factory or a supply-depot.

And be sure to use radio-calls to taunt the enemy-mechwarriors.

clareqinty89

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2024, 05:07:05 »
Welcome back to the world of BattleTech! Your plans for introducing your friends to the game sound well thought out. Starting with a simple all-out battle to learn the mechanics is a great idea, especially for newcomers. As for mech recommendations, sticking to Inner Sphere mechs from the Succession War era is a good call for a classic experience.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2024, 08:13:55 »
running lights is fine in fact its actually good, but I would suggest slower lights like the panther and valkerye as its hard for them to get really high movement mods.

same idea as mediums and heavies, but as lights they are more "squishy"

I agree with this.  There are plenty of light 'mechs that move 6/9/6 or less that I'd use to show people how to play with the classic rules.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2024, 09:56:02 »
I'll echo what others have already said, use slow 'Mechs with some hitting power to make the first fight a fast one. Strongly advise against anything faster than 5/8/x.
That’s the most important thing.

Two more that come to mind that are both based in the players having zero previous experience in classic boardgame BattleTech: Remember that even the most basic rules and tactics are new to them.
Start lightly on the rules. Go for 3025 tech. When you’re still learning movement 101 and the basics of overheating, the rules for variable x-pulse lasers don’t add anything to the experience.
And start light on the tactics. Partial cover, torso twisting and firing arcs/attack angles are plenty enough for thr first few games to be new and interesting even when seasoned players would call it a 4/6 slugging match. That’s okay. Let maneuvering and positioning be the second tier, after the basics are covered.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins