Author Topic: Campaign Operations And Training Personal  (Read 3064 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Campaign Operations And Training Personal
« on: 30 December 2017, 16:29:13 »
OK I was looking through the CO rules recently and came across this bit: "If combatant NPCs have not been detailed as A Time of War characters and their Technician Skill Rating is thus unknown, only a quarter (round up) of all combat personnel may pull this double duty and may only serve as astechs, because not all combatants are suited or trained for it."

Now this is fine, until you realize that CO has no rules for personal learning such skills, so does anyone have any suggestions for how personal can learn such things, other then perhaps spending their first point of XP in acquiring them?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Campaign Operations And Training Personal
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2017, 16:50:18 »
You just hit on the main driver for me to build ALL my NPCs with AToW rules.  Spreadsheets are your friend for this approach...

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2017, 17:48:08 »
I kind of hit upon this idea after brushing up on the tech teams and admin rules and was looking into how well an infantry company could support it self. Well it can provide 9 out of 11 admins needed, which leaves the remaining 85 men available to pull double duty as astech but then that 1 in 4 rule kicks in, so unless your going to generate that for 100+ personal not really a good idea.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2017, 18:08:17 »
The unit insignia to the left there has spawned a spreadsheet detailing 167 characters (PCs and NPCs)...

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2017, 18:09:41 »
I don't think the double duty was meant to really use actual skills if not playing aToW rules. In this instance the double duty astechs/admin probably do all the unskilled labor that only requires a half function brain and a little muscle or at the very least the ability to follow orders. Sort this, pick up that, make sure the ammo is pointed this way...

Beyond that you could use the skill progression in StratOps.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2017, 18:26:35 »
No, personal pulling double duty as (as)Techs are required to have those skills. I think a way around that might be to use engineer platoons, they cost a little more but it would be hard to argue that they don't have the training.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2017, 18:35:09 »
I asked Cray about the skill minimums for AsTechs a while back, and he agreed they were a little high, but didn't propose an errata fix.

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2017, 20:51:07 »
I don't think the double duty was meant to really use actual skills if not playing aToW rules. In this instance the double duty astechs/admin probably do all the unskilled labor that only requires a half function brain and a little muscle or at the very least the ability to follow orders.
Although I think the double duty astechs, admins, etc are capable of a bit more I agree, they are doing pretty simple tasks that do not really require skill progression.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2018, 04:41:49 »
Found something interesting in AToW: Anti-Mech infantry training will give you two Technician skills at +1, given that these skills are how they bring down 'Mechs if their Anti-Mech skils hits 5 or lower they've probably got this skill at +3 or greater.