Author Topic: Your first "Unique" mech  (Read 17604 times)

aidan_kell

• Private
Re: Your first "Unique" mech
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2014, 20:46:43 »
The first unique mech I pulled was from my first booster. Bought it on my lunch break in high school. Kendrick Fetladral, Mad Cat III.
"I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself master of infinite space were it not for terrible dreams."

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #31 on: 26 October 2014, 16:53:51 »
Now admittedly I only buy MW:DA minis to debase them ;) But I did get in a trade two promo items from before the game had actually been marketed - an infantry stand, and a hover APC which finally saw the light of day in TRO:3145 as the Eldingar. IIRC, they didn't actually have combat dials, and were apparently pre-promotional items. They have a place in my cabinet of curios, and will never go under the knife ;)
The promo pack you speak of had an Agromech MOD, Eldinger hovercraft and an infantry squad. All painted in House Davion colors. They got reinforced in the AOD set with the release of the Hanse MBT and the introduction of Houses in the series. I got mine courtesy of a tournament prize where all the players took turns picking out what they wanted for prizes. Snagged them even though they were unplayable cause I had to have them. The two winners ahead of me started in on the normal items.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 26 October 2014, 17:21:25 »
Snagged them even though they were unplayable cause I had to have them.

I understand completely. Remember, you're not an addict, you're a collector! O0
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #33 on: 27 October 2014, 01:02:00 »
Janis Nova Cat- I also won my first tourney with her to boot.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: 27 October 2014, 09:25:20 »
Mine was for a King of the Hill match at a local con, I'm admittively not fan of homebrews but want try something unique.   It was called the Roman Candle which aside from pair of ER Large Lasers as back up weaponry, its name screams I have a whole lot of Rocket Launchers brimming from every corner I'd like have fire on you after hugging you.  I became unpopular with old schoolers I was playing with when I did my couple minutes of rolling Rocket launchers at a target.

It wasn't effective, but it was interesting first.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MightyBolamite

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 29 October 2014, 18:37:05 »
After many, many packs, my first one was Marat Deleportas in his Sphinx. Not a great Mech, never played him, but the sculpt is neat.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: 29 October 2014, 21:59:26 »
Oops! I goofed.  MWDA unique favorate would be "Headmaster" Atlas, which I won in mini game. It was fun using it afterwords.  Big improvement visually from Solitude.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

talonspiritcat

• Corporal
    • My novels
« Reply #37 on: 12 November 2014, 15:48:20 »
The prize from the Faction War For Irian.  First game I ever played, borrowed a BR army cause I didn't even own 1200 points of units, let alone faction pure.  Firmly took last place.  Was given the choice between DF prize and Liao...swore my soul to the Chancellor and quickly amassed a Liao army (other players donated a bunch of *useless* Liao commons and uncommons to me) and thus I became the Lord of Liao.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #38 on: 12 November 2014, 17:09:38 »
The Liao units in MW:DA were very attractive - the brighter brown & green compared to ROTS, and not "silly" like the Nova Cats (sorry guys!). Banson's Raiders were prettier, but not as martial (if you see what I mean).

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #39 on: 05 January 2015, 01:15:23 »
My very first "Unique" was "Caden Senn", Ryoken II, It was such a cool looking mech that I became a NW Highlanders fan and I just had to get every Highlanders piece after that.
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 06 January 2015, 19:43:34 »
The Liao units in MW:DA were very attractive - the brighter brown & green compared to ROTS, and not "silly" like the Nova Cats (sorry guys!). Banson's Raiders were prettier, but not as martial (if you see what I mean).

W.

I think my first unique pull was (I think) "Pyro Peterson" the BR Firestarter ... I was glad to get a 'mech I recognized, but yeah, the paint scheme for Bannson was one of the odd ones ... of course, some world probably have funky-colored vegetation ... and Battletech has a rich history of wild parade-ground colors. I went with the Highlanders due to their defensive proclivities and for fluff's sake, but the color scheme was aesthetically satisfying as a cherry on top.

My favorite unique pull was "Angus Drummond" ... loved the sculpt, loved the performance ... found the designation vs. sculpt discrepancy annoying ... ended up using the Cats for my wife to play, as well as props for winter dioramas I would put up at my desk at work (back when I worked at a desk).

Woe

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 09 January 2015, 09:03:31 »
Missing its card but still looking awesome....the Echo Marauder.  >:D

Gorgeous miniature and I love the fact they have moving parts. That really brings them to life and helps you visualize better how they move.
'Let the poetry of darkness be written henceforth!’

PGaither84

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: 22 July 2015, 07:08:29 »
I bought a case on release day. The first one I opened was Jacqueline Tadaka in her Legionnaire That same day I also opened Kendrick Fetladral in his Mad Cat III, Meghann Tenclay in her Catapult, and finally William "Pyro" Peterson in his Firestarter. Those were the only unique figures I opened from Dark Age. I was 17 years old at the time. I had saved up my money in anticipation for the set to come out and couldn't afford to buy more than a booster here or there until Fire for Effect to come out.

The first scenario that came out was Steel Wolves vs Swordsworn. I brought an army for each faction depending on which side I was assigned. One led by Kendrick Fetladral, and the other by Jacqueline Tadaka. Not because I felt those would be the best possible builds for the scenario, but because I wanted to use my unique figures and built armies around them.

The game wasn't very popular where I was living. At the Scenario were only three other players. I ended up winning because Jacqueline Tadaka was too much for the other players who had only bought the starter and a few boosters with some combination the those yellow construction/agriculture/mining/forestry mechs. The next time around only one person showed up and there was no event. The store didn't even try to hold a third one.

I ended up just playing casual games with my buddies. We actually ended up playing many 4 way battles on my friend's large kitchen table with my figures. I printed out black & white terrain pieces and then used packing tape to cover them so they wouldn't tear from use.

I sold my collection back in 2005 or so. It turns out some of the uniques still had some value and I got heavily into Magic: the Gathering, which was crazy popular in California and still is. "If you can't beat them, join them." Now that I am 30, I have been bitten by the nostalgia bug and found this forum. I am looking online to buy some figures. I think I am going to focus on Swordsworn and Dragon's Fury as enemy factions to fight against each other. I miss that first unique, Jacqueline Tadaka. I don't know how good she was in competitive play, but 10 speed with 5 Armor Piercing damage was nothing to sneeze at, all in a pretty cheap cost. In one turn she could run 20 inches (nearly two feet) and then spend the next turn shooting that big gun. After two points of heat, she was in trouble, but not as much trouble as my opponents were in. I often supported her with battle armor and my VV1 ranger rounded the points out. The VV1 was terrible, but it was used to drive around the map and spend time in deployment zones collecting VC3 points.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 22 July 2015, 21:07:11 »
This Malice http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=FI076
I never collected many AoD units, the starter pack and a few boosters, or whatever they were called.

The Malice looks so good i love it. I love even the tabletop version that is generally thought as lackluster. Heck, i made an IntroTech version...

455_PWR

• Recruit
« Reply #44 on: 27 January 2016, 20:26:44 »
I will never forget my favorite pull.  I got into MW:DA because I was a mage knight fan a fan of classic battletech.  I liked the game but didn't like it's style and faction deviations from cbt.  I continued to play and started playing in local tournaments.

I had pretty much the worst luck ever in blind booster drafts, and commonly got creamed as I would have junk units and others pulled uniques.  One tournament, I opened my first booster and pulled the Collin Tolek Cygnus!  The mech looked more 'retro' styled, and it was a wolfs dragoons unit (I am a die hard fan of them and the widow herself...)!

I proceeded to win that tournament with him.  He I still my favorite unit even though so many cooler units were made.

Register