Author Topic: Gear Cards - Game Aids for New (and Forgetful) Players  (Read 12529 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Gear Cards - Game Aids for New (and Forgetful) Players
« Reply #30 on: 20 February 2019, 13:11:33 »
Woo! Page references!  :thumbsup:

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
  • Of noble birth and mercenary mind...
« Reply #31 on: 22 February 2019, 14:56:31 »
So awesome...  :drool: :drool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Honestly, these are great - I'm especially thrilled, because I'm running a game with a player who is new to the BattleTech universe.

My one gripe is that you didn't put a card for flak ammo in the autocannon set...  :(

1. Incoming fire has the right of way.
2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
3. Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.
                                   - excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #32 on: 22 February 2019, 15:03:33 »
yup. more options are good.

you're right, I could

For GATOR...if you can;t go color then go with G.A.T.O.R.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #33 on: 22 February 2019, 15:14:47 »
My one gripe is that you didn't put a card for flak ammo in the autocannon set...  :(

My original intent was to avoid tacops entirely but now that you point it out its something that should be in TW. Fortunately I know a guy who can get it added

tada.wav

« Last Edit: 22 February 2019, 17:55:08 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

LegoMech

• Private
« Reply #34 on: 22 February 2019, 20:04:41 »
These are amazing! Thank you for doing this!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 22 February 2019, 20:16:35 »
My original intent was to avoid tacops entirely but now that you point it out its something that should be in TW.

You are aware FLAK is in TOTAL WARFARE right? ;)

Page 114:

Page 136 under Hyper Assault Guass

And under CLUSTER MUNITION page 141

BATTLEMECH MANUAL

Page 80

page 97

Page 100 (Hyper Assault Guass)

Page 106 (Cluster Munitions)
« Last Edit: 22 February 2019, 20:18:20 by NeonKnight »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 22 February 2019, 20:18:09 »
Flak specialty ammo for standard autocannon is not

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 22 February 2019, 20:20:17 »
Flak specialty ammo for standard autocannon is not

Ahh...Hence my confusion.

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 22 February 2019, 20:49:09 »
Cool.

I did something similar for a con, once, printing out the abridged rules for special equipment on the back of the record sheets so that if they didn't know how to use the specialty gear their 'mechs came with, turning it over allowed them to find out.

I also did that with tanks with abbreviated tank differences, because the amount of players who actually bothered using tanks were surprisingly low.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 22 February 2019, 23:37:53 »
Very impressive and useful.
One slight improvement proposal: for ammunition types, could you include the year of introduction with the tech base?
MUL tells me if I could field a certain 'mech variant in a given year, but determining if I can load it with ammo type x or y needs additional searching.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #40 on: 23 February 2019, 12:40:34 »
Very impressive and useful.
One slight improvement proposal: for ammunition types, could you include the year of introduction with the tech base?
MUL tells me if I could field a certain 'mech variant in a given year, but determining if I can load it with ammo type x or y needs additional searching.

yes, that should be easy enough as the big ole chart in IO tells you exactly when that happens. I'll probably settle on the "common" date if available and fall back to "production" date when i have to in order to keep arguments about who has access to what when to a minimum. if you want to field something before its common date, you'll have to look that up yourself as i'm creating game aids, not free replacement products for cgl books

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 23 February 2019, 22:49:08 »
These are sweet.  Thanks for taking the time to make them.. :thumbsup:
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #42 on: 23 February 2019, 23:07:28 »
Wow, these are nifty!  :thumbsup:
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 23 February 2019, 23:37:42 »
yes, that should be easy enough as the big ole chart in IO tells you exactly when that happens. I'll probably settle on the "common" date if available and fall back to "production" date when i have to in order to keep arguments about who has access to what when to a minimum. if you want to field something before its common date, you'll have to look that up yourself as i'm creating game aids, not free replacement products for cgl books

Perfect!
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
  • Of noble birth and mercenary mind...
« Reply #44 on: 24 February 2019, 21:19:26 »
Nice, awesome game aids. And thanks for doing a flak ammo card, too. I know you said you wanted to stay away from TacOps, but once you get done with the other stuff you want to do first, some things in there might be nice to have. For example, I know that I'd definitely like to see Mech Mortars, Artillery, missile, and AC alt. Ammo types, and maybe a few other bits and bobs.

1. Incoming fire has the right of way.
2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
3. Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.
                                   - excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #45 on: 28 February 2019, 00:35:48 »
i'm considering the first wave "done" - or at least in a pre-final good enough for government work state (i think the only minor tweak left is adding stealth armor). this will get new players through ca 3067.

Nice, awesome game aids. And thanks for doing a flak ammo card, too. I know you said you wanted to stay away from TacOps, but once you get done with the other stuff you want to do first, some things in there might be nice to have. For example, I know that I'd definitely like to see Mech Mortars, Artillery, missile, and AC alt. Ammo types, and maybe a few other bits and bobs.

every time i think about doing C3 and artillery i break out in hives. i'll see where the line gets drawn. things like mech mortars are doable but extraordinarily uncommon in the canon design portfolio. i'm guessing the next extension will cover the rest of BMM (3090/3145 shifts) and "backside" tacops advanced weapon rules.

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 28 February 2019, 18:17:36 »
Artillery isn't THAT terrifying.

I do agree that trying to explain C3 on a card would be a bit of a nightmare though.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #47 on: 28 February 2019, 19:42:43 »
Artillery isn't THAT terrifying.

I do agree that trying to explain C3 on a card would be a bit of a nightmare though.

It’s not but fitting all the rules on a card in a way that clearly explains it to someone with zero knowledge of the rules definitely is. If Narc homing beacons and ams take the better part of a card, artillery has a low chance of working out

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 28 February 2019, 23:15:16 »
It’s not but fitting all the rules on a card in a way that clearly explains it to someone with zero knowledge of the rules definitely is. If Narc homing beacons and ams take the better part of a card, artillery has a low chance of working out
It might need to be a front/back card, or maybe even multiple cards...

Still, would be nice to figure out how to make it work, especially since artillery (in my opinion) fixes the "turret defense" issue that this game can have without it.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 14 March 2019, 08:23:25 »
Thanks for giving back to the community!

I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #50 on: 14 March 2019, 09:51:06 »
as a mere pleb who will never collect a check from cgl, it's what i can do

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #51 on: 19 March 2019, 13:51:43 »
Do you have these all compiled in a PDF file, somewhere? I'd love to be able to print them out when I have the chance.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #52 on: 19 April 2019, 01:02:42 »
Fantastic !!!

Are the initial links the most up-to-date? If they are, I'll grab them eagerly, if not then where might such a link be

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #53 on: 19 April 2019, 09:16:39 »
When I work on things is determined by my wildly inconsistent ADHD-fueled hyperfocus. As they stand, the cards are “ready enough” and will get you through most games that use TW equipment. Any future additions will either address formatting or add advanced rules

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 19 April 2019, 10:05:24 »
Allow me to say the same as everyone else - these are awesome, well done.

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 23 July 2019, 05:43:02 »
This is awesome. There hasn't been an update in another topic, has there?
Need a newbie guide for Against the Bot (AtB / MekHQ)? Click here (v3 updated August '19)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #56 on: 23 July 2019, 08:15:18 »
no updates, no. i've pretty much accomplished the main goal of getting through the TW gear. the final step is to make some packaging and bundle everything together but i lack both time and motivation to do it currently.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #57 on: 23 July 2019, 08:15:58 »

I wish Catalyst had something like this, and could add it to the record sheets somehow. In fact, the only thing I think would be better is to have the base rules on the record sheet, then use Gloom! style overlay cards. If you don't know, those are made of clear plastic and have modifiers printed on them. So if you're at a -1 to hit, the Gunnery score

We do this for the Grinder record sheets that are used at the big conventions;  the back of the Record Sheet lists the special rules and page references for the equipment that is on the individual 'Mech.  It's helpful because Grinder is also used as a teaching tool.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Sierra Invenio

• Recruit
  • When in doubt, battle-fists.
« Reply #58 on: 04 October 2019, 15:58:28 »
I know it's going outside your original project, but might I be able to get these for all of the munition types? Im using them in a class level to teach my players advanced equipment, but I have noticed some missing (probably tacops+).

These are genuinely fantastic and I thank you for them.
Whatever IT is, if you can't solve the problem with IT, you don't have enough of IT.

Register