Author Topic: Using modified target numbers instead of modified rolls  (Read 2560 times)

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
Coming from Total Warfare, one of the things I don't really like about A Time of War is the departure from the format for skill checks. As you know, in TW you modify the target number then see if you roll higher than it. In A Time of War you have a fixed target number, then roll, then apply modifiers.

I am planning a mixed campaign that will have 'mech combat and out of 'mech interactions (though not much on-foot combat.) I wil be including AToW skill checks during TW combat (for instance, perception and sensor operations rolls to identify targets, tactics rolls for a chance to get an initiative bonus, and such) and the disconnect between the format of the skill checks kind of bugs me.

I was planning on using a modified target number system instead. It is my understanding that you can calculate a TW-style target number by taking the base target number for the skill, subtracting the character's skill level from it, then subtracting any applicable modifiers (so the positive bonuses from AToW become negative bonuses ala TW and vice versa for penalties).

So my question is, is this correct and if so, are there any situations where it falls apart?

Thanks!

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
Re: Using modified target numbers instead of modified rolls
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2012, 03:01:38 »
For our 2D10 conversion while doing 'Mech fights we modify the TN and then let Skill and link add to the roll.

My opinion is makes no difference if you modify the TN or the dice roll. Which way you go  doesn't matter as long as you end up at the same place.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2012, 20:47:16 »
Six or half-dozen... Hmmmm...

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2012, 03:45:41 »
Hello,

So my question is, is this correct and if so, are there any situations where it falls apart?

That is nominally correct; the AToW format simply reverses TW format (merely because the notion of going up a level translating to lower numbers was considered potentially confusing to role-players coming in from other systems). Mathematically, the modifiers and numbers are designed to match TW in the outcomes, particularly when it comes to pilot, gunnery, and technical skills.

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2012, 05:40:40 »
Thanks Herb! Thanks everyone else! I didn't have enough experience with AToW to judge whether it would work all of the time so that makes me feel a lot better about it.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2012, 05:57:31 »
Hello,

Oh, certainly not ALL of the time, but for the combat rolls and Mech/Vehicle action you should be fine. (AToW differs in that it's possible to level up past a TW Gunnery/Piloting score of 0/0, but the advice is to treat that as 0/0 anyway...)

Hope that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2012, 06:05:49 »
Okay. Just to be safe, outside of vehicular combat I'll use the rules as written in AToW, then.

Edit: I primarily wanted to avoid a disconnect between how skill rolls are made during TW combat, not rewrite the rules, so I'm going to leave it as far as that :)
« Last Edit: 04 April 2012, 06:10:52 by theothersarah »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2012, 15:46:47 »
Hello,

During playtesting, my own players were so used to the TW style of play that they simply made the reversals anyway. Anything subtracted from a roll was added to a TN, and vice versa. It becomes second-nature pretty quickly.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs