Author Topic: Miniatures of the Fortnight #70: Firestarter and Firestarter OmniMech  (Read 2921 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.  Light a 'Mech on fire and it'll be nice and toasty until the ammo cookoff show.

The Firestarter is one of the more aptly named 'Mechs of the BattleTech universe.  It has flamers.  It can start fires.  It's an old friend, from the days if Technical Readout: 3025.  However. by the Dark Age, it's clearly going through a metal phase.  Maybe it'll grow out of it.

Meanwhile, it has a younger but larger sibling, the Firestarter OmniMech, born out of a silly set of circumstances.  As an OmniMech, it offers significantly greater flexibility and yet it still has two flamers in fixed mounts.

Neither version of the Firestarter currently has a 'Mech of the week article.  So... set the world on fire?

I'm a little unclear on the original Firestarter sculpts.  I hope someone can provide more information.  Anyway, these are the sculpts I know of:
  • The original sculpt (or perhaps a resculpt) (20-850).  I'm not sure if there have been one or two miniatures released under 20-850 and, if there have been two, I don't know how they differ.
  • What I believe to be a beginners set sculpt available in the Quick Start Lance Pack (10-044).  (I don't have this product so I'm not sure this is a separate sculpt.)
  • The sculpt for the Dark Age model, FS9-M2 (20-369).  I presume this is based on an MW:DA figure.
  • The plastic sculpt released by Catalyst Game Labs in the Support Lance Pack.
The Firestarter OmniMech only has a single sculpt (20-257).

If you have any of these painted, please share pictures.  We'd love to see them!

As always, thank you for reading and a special thank you to those who post.

Our next two fortnights will be:
  • Clan (6/17): Griffin IIC
  • Inner Sphere (7/1): Wolverine

vaporlynx

• Recruit
One lonely boi. 

Wotan

• Lieutenant
First and oldest Firestarter for my 5th Crucis Lancers. Next one for the Donegal Guards.
Last one an Omni Firestarter of the Dioscuri together with the streetfighter lance.

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
First set of Firestarters are left to right are an old set: One of the first Battletech miniatures that I painted just a metallic gunmetal. The next two belong to a private merc unit the 13th Armored Cavalry.
As far as I know there was only one sculpt of the 20-850.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

shadowdancer

• Master Sergeant
Second post. Two of the Omni version one from the 13th and one from High Plains Drifters. And one more old version from the 13th.
Wishing the Worse on your Enemies
Contact the 13th Armored Calvary
Deliverers of "BAD LUCK"
Anytime
Anyplace
If the Price is Right

Luciora

• Major
Left to right top to bottom

FS9-H, 2 FS9-Ks, FS9-M Mirage Bumblebee, FS9-P

FS9-O, FS9-OA, FS9-OC, FS9-OR

Luciora

• Major
Repost of my magnetized Firestarter Omni

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
My regular Firestarters are in various stages of repainting. However, I do have a photo of one I worked up at a different scale. A couple, in fact.

:thumbs:

Nothing like map-scale kit bashes to make a man's day.

Started with the fact that my favorite personal merc unit happened to have a Firestarter.  And it went from there.

In the 'Family Photo', it's the fiery looking one in the back left. Plan on getting runway shots of these when I have a good enough camera.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
One Firestarter for me, from the AS lance set.  Yet another member from my Illician Lancer battalion.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Nips

• Sergeant
Nothing particularly special here, just a Firestarter I painted up as part of a gift of a lance to a friend.  I have three others waiting in the wings for their turn, one literally next in line once I get past some terrain I'm working on.

« Last Edit: 08 June 2019, 19:19:49 by Nips »
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Nice, one of the lance pack Firestarters is going to be my jumping mech attempt.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Siberian-troll

• Captain
some from me

Plain Firestarter

Space Firestarter OU
Another "unusual environment" configuration, the Firestarter U carries a Sword in the right arm and five Medium Pulse Lasers. Though it retains the torso mounted flamers, the most interesting part of its payload is the Liquid Storage tank that provides additional reaction mass for the six Jump Jets. This Firestarter is intended to support marine boarding actions against DropShips and WarShips. The 24 Double Heat Sinks could barely handle the heat from all the weapons
(descriptions from Sarna.net site)

Firestarter OE
The E configuration of the Firestarter is intended for close combat and carries as its primary weapon an MRM-20 launcher. This is backed up by a Medium Pulse Laser, a Small Pulse Laser, and two Flamers. A Sword provides superb accuracy in melee combat situations
(descriptions from Sarna.net site)
« Last Edit: 12 June 2019, 22:49:01 by Siberian-troll »

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
Probably it could be interesting, and somewhat helpful, but it two pages from my personal guide by omnimech's configurations:

Most of these pics from CSO site and I want to give my sincere gratitude by talented painters from it. 

Register