Author Topic: Question about Skills and target numbers  (Read 2124 times)

bblaney

• Lieutenant
Question about Skills and target numbers
« on: 30 March 2013, 17:53:22 »
Okay if I have Ref 7, Dex 5 and a Gunnery Skill level of 6, what the heck is my target number? The rules hurt my brain sometimes
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Question about Skills and target numbers
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2013, 18:03:22 »
is char its 8-6 = 2 officially
is char its 8-1-6 =1 if the gm allows link
clan char its 1 if no link or 0 if using link IE clan package bonus of settign the target number base 1 lower for OCC skills

link meaning link attributes modifiers

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2013, 19:55:13 »
It depends on what target number you're talking about.

Are you talking about the Target number for the RPG?

All Target Numbers are fixed in the RPG. You simply add your skill, your link attribute bonus and any other modifiers to the roll.

So for gunnery, your target number is 8. When you roll your dice, you'll roll 2d6 then add your skill (6) to the roll+link attribute (1)+Any other modifiers (range, night time, obstructions, etc).

You may be thinking "Hey, with a 6 skill and a +1 link attribute for +7 to all my rolls, and 2 being the lowest possible roll on 2d6, I'll always reach a TN of 8!" Well, it seems that way, but keep in mind, there are alot of possible negatives to your roll as well.

If you're playing a Clan character with a phenotype, your target number would be 1 lower due to the Field Aptitude bonus (assuming you're using a gunnery that is used by your phenotype).

What guardiandashi is talking about is if you're trying to translate your skill in the RPG to the standard board game.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2013, 05:17:54 »
Thanks guys, question answered, both were very helpful
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Register