Author Topic: The Hall Auto Repair Shop and Mopar Hall of Fame  (Read 117547 times)

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
Re: The Hall Auto Repair Shop and Mopar Hall of Fame
« Reply #480 on: 14 September 2016, 22:20:46 »
I'm about to pay off my 07 RAM 1500.  one last payment.

suggestions for improvements, now that Beast is all mine?

I'm thinking HP and MPG and lighting improvements.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #481 on: 17 September 2016, 10:59:53 »
I have a nice '83 AMC Eagle SFX  O0

Are you joshing me?

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #482 on: 21 September 2016, 15:00:17 »
Here's an odd problem.

2001 Bonnevile SSEi.  On occasion, my tachometer will zero out.  No revs registering.  The car is still running just fine.  There is a tiny little hiccup when it does this, but it is so slight it is easy to miss.  One time it did this, the check engine light came on.  Got it checked out, Error code was "Camshaft Position Sensor Failure."  Next time I turned on the car, engine light is off.

Now I don't suspect it is that sensor, because everything I read says if that sensor is bad, it is an engine kill failure.  No starting, no running, nothing if that sensor fails.

I'm running out of ideas.  I know there is SOMETHING wrong, but I sure as hell can't figure out what it is.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #483 on: 22 September 2016, 10:11:22 »
Here's an odd problem.

2001 Bonnevile SSEi.  On occasion, my tachometer will zero out.  No revs registering.  The car is still running just fine.  There is a tiny little hiccup when it does this, but it is so slight it is easy to miss.  One time it did this, the check engine light came on.  Got it checked out, Error code was "Camshaft Position Sensor Failure."  Next time I turned on the car, engine light is off.

Now I don't suspect it is that sensor, because everything I read says if that sensor is bad, it is an engine kill failure.  No starting, no running, nothing if that sensor fails.

I'm running out of ideas.  I know there is SOMETHING wrong, but I sure as hell can't figure out what it is.

It's a crank or cam sensor going bad.  Obviously it's the cam as that's the error you have.

This does not kill the engine always but it can.  It usually goes into limp mode and keeps running.  If it fails totally at start up then it will not start.  While running it will go into limp mode.

I've replaced the crank trigger in my Cummins Turbo Diesel three times  :(

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #484 on: 25 October 2016, 14:46:39 »
New problem, different car...

My wife's '02 Silverado V6 2WD doesn't want to start.  Acting like it isn't getting fuel.  Fuel pump is audibly working, fuses and relays are intact, and I just changed the fuel filter (which was a pain in the ass).

When the filter was changed I got gas dripped on me from both ends, so it doesn't seem like the fuel line is clogged.  I'm suspecting it is still the fuel pump, but wondering if there was another option I hadn't thought of.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #485 on: 04 November 2016, 18:57:12 »

My wife's '02 Silverado V6 2WD doesn't want to start.  Acting like it isn't getting fuel.  Fuel pump is audibly working, fuses and relays are intact, and I just changed the fuel filter (which was a pain in the ass).

When the filter was changed I got gas dripped on me from both ends, so it doesn't seem like the fuel line is clogged.  I'm suspecting it is still the fuel pump, but wondering if there was another option I hadn't thought of.

Did you put the fuel filter in the correct direction?  They only go one way.  Your gas drip test is no indicator. 

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #486 on: 04 November 2016, 19:24:37 »
Well I bought a new car.  Well new to me. 

It's a 2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Wagon.  3.6L V6 with a 6 speed automatic and 32K miles.  Original sticker was $51K   :o

I paid what VW is going to give me for my Passat plus $600.  Makes commuting in the Bay Area so much easier.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #487 on: 07 November 2016, 11:36:52 »
Did you put the fuel filter in the correct direction?  They only go one way.  Your gas drip test is no indicator.

Yes, the arrow on the fuel filter makes that pretty idiot proof.  :)

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #488 on: 07 November 2016, 11:42:27 »
Yes, the arrow on the fuel filter makes that pretty idiot proof.  :)

Yes, but they are making better idiots these days  :))

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #489 on: 09 November 2016, 15:08:11 »
Yes, but they are making better idiots these days  :))

I...can't come up with a logical argument against that, unfortunately.   :D

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #490 on: 10 November 2016, 23:58:06 »
Found the original window sticker for my CTS Sport Wagon

$51085  :o

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #491 on: 11 November 2016, 07:46:23 »
Found the original window sticker for my CTS Sport Wagon

$51085  :o

Yep.  Caddy's aren't cheap.  :)

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #492 on: 11 November 2016, 14:41:33 »
Yep.  Caddy's aren't cheap.  :)

I'm glad GM took the hit on the depreciation  8)

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #493 on: 25 November 2016, 20:00:59 »

is it fuel injected or throttle body, if it is fuel injected you actually have two fuel pumps, the transfer pump back at the tank and the injector pump up next to the engine. couldn't tell you more than that. Also some trucks have a sock filter on the tank pump that sometimes does need to be cleaned.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #494 on: 03 December 2016, 12:17:18 »
is it fuel injected or throttle body, if it is fuel injected you actually have two fuel pumps, the transfer pump back at the tank and the injector pump up next to the engine. couldn't tell you more than that. Also some trucks have a sock filter on the tank pump that sometimes does need to be cleaned.

Yes there is usually a pump that brings fuel from the tank to the injector pump

Pht

• Private
« Reply #495 on: 04 February 2017, 22:37:48 »
Been a long while, but I've got one the denizens of this thread can enjoy reading - mostly because they will be laughing at the misery I had: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/852817-1997-deville-possible-topend-maybe-full.html

Suffice it to say, mom likes her caddies; we lost her old '97 concours, and got a new one, only to find out that the 90s-00s northstar motors were/are notorious for pulling head bolt thread out (lifting heads).

Wow, whatta fun job that was. Never taken a drill to an engine block before ... don't wanna ever do it again!  #P

I need to get moderately rich and put the '67 dart /6 back on the road and stick some handling upgrades into it.
Dog with a bone, that's me...

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #496 on: 24 February 2017, 10:52:44 »
Been a long while, but I've got one the denizens of this thread can enjoy reading - mostly because they will be laughing at the misery I had: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/852817-1997-deville-possible-topend-maybe-full.html

Suffice it to say, mom likes her caddies; we lost her old '97 concours, and got a new one, only to find out that the 90s-00s northstar motors were/are notorious for pulling head bolt thread out (lifting heads).

Wow, whatta fun job that was. Never taken a drill to an engine block before ... don't wanna ever do it again!  #P

I need to get moderately rich and put the '67 dart /6 back on the road and stick some handling upgrades into it.

GM has never been good at understanding mating surfaces and bolt strength.  Their fiasco with the 350 diesel in the 80s and the 2.8L intake gaskets are prime examples. 

Pht

• Private
« Reply #497 on: 03 March 2017, 22:35:30 »
What's worse is that I hear rumbings that GM's factory fix ("timeserts") for GM's factory screwup are known for sometimes pulling right of the block when torqued down.

I gather this has less to do with not using enough head bolts (hey, our beloved mopar blocks of 60s vin used not so many per cylinder) and more to do with using an open deck design, allowing the coolant to attack the headgasket all over the place.

Apparently the closed-deck northstars don't have the headbolt problem; go figure.

So, hey, if you're an insane masochist and like caddies, you can pickup northstar equipped caddies cheap, and roll the dice on having to fix the headbolt problem!  #P

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #498 on: 07 March 2017, 11:36:37 »
I've never lost a head gasket in any Mopar engine that I have run

/6

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #499 on: 08 March 2017, 00:40:57 »
in the past month I've put $1900 of repairs into my '07 Ram 1500.
-rebuild transfer case & bearings.
-replace front right  wheel bearings.

the spouse is not happy.

and she doesn't even know that it needs tires yet.
( $540+)

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #500 on: 08 March 2017, 09:49:53 »
in the past month I've put $1900 of repairs into my '07 Ram 1500.
-rebuild transfer case & bearings.
-replace front right  wheel bearings.

the spouse is not happy.

and she doesn't even know that it needs tires yet.
( $540+)

If you get away with tires for $540 you are doing pretty good.  The tires on my 99 Dodge W2500 Quad Cab run about $1100

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #501 on: 18 March 2017, 09:59:55 »
If off to go buy my 99th car today  8)

Pht

• Private
« Reply #502 on: 24 March 2017, 17:18:57 »
I've never lost a head gasket in any Mopar engine that I have run

/6

I wonder ... someone should ask doug dutra or someone else who knows ... if the aluminum /6's had problems with headgaskets. They had open decks too:
Coincidentally, the reason /6s have such epic durability is apparently because they were originally specced for the aluminum of the day, and were never respecced down in dimensions when made in cast iron.  #P >:D }:)

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #503 on: 28 March 2017, 08:16:53 »
If off to go buy my 99th car today  8)

Well her she is.

Just purchased after a 6 1/2 month ordeal.

One 1968 Hemi Charger R/T - 1 of 264 made with an automatic transmission.  Originally red with a white top and interior.  Power windows, console, power steering, power brakes.  Runs and drives and is 95% complete. 

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #504 on: 29 March 2017, 08:44:11 »
That's awesome!

Pht

• Private
« Reply #505 on: 15 April 2017, 20:17:41 »
Well her she is.

Just purchased after a 6 1/2 month ordeal.

One 1968 Hemi Charger R/T - 1 of 264 made with an automatic transmission.  Originally red with a white top and interior.  Power windows, console, power steering, power brakes.  Runs and drives and is 95% complete.

Neato - document the doo-doo out of her. Ma-mopar was well known for oddities, as even a goober like me knows, thanks to ppl like the goombas that used to run MA. I miss that mag, the tech was great.  :-[  :'(  :( >:( >:( >:(

So, what's this one up for? Points on resto? restomod? DD?

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #506 on: 17 April 2017, 13:22:52 »
Neato - document the doo-doo out of her. Ma-mopar was well known for oddities, as even a goober like me knows, thanks to ppl like the goombas that used to run MA. I miss that mag, the tech was great.  :-[  :'(  :( >:( >:( >:(

So, what's this one up for? Points on resto? restomod? DD?

This is one will be a full blown restoration as to how it came out of the factory.  Including the silly little Devo Hat looking hubcaps

Clangador

• Lieutenant
  • The Pimptastic Purple Pyrate...
« Reply #507 on: 23 April 2017, 02:56:20 »
Well I bought a new car.  Well new to me. 

It's a 2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Wagon.  3.6L V6 with a 6 speed automatic and 32K miles.  Original sticker was $51K   :o

I paid what VW is going to give me for my Passat plus $600.  Makes commuting in the Bay Area so much easier.

Sweet Cthulhu that is a nice-looking car. I wish I had nice vehicle to drive.  :(
~Clangador

This post "is brought to you by Soylent Red and Soylent Yellow, high energy vegetable concentrates, and new, delicious, Soylent Green. The miracle food of high-energy plankton gathered from the oceans of the world."
Soylent Green (1973)

"Build coffins, that's all you'll need."
The Omega Man (1971)

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #508 on: 25 April 2017, 17:49:00 »
Sweet Cthulhu that is a nice-looking car. I wish I had nice vehicle to drive.  :(

Clang that thing only cost me $21,800 - a steal and as I call it GM's best kept secret

Clangador

• Lieutenant
  • The Pimptastic Purple Pyrate...
« Reply #509 on: 02 May 2017, 00:22:05 »
Clang that thing only cost me $21,800 - a steal and as I call it GM's best kept secret

That seems pretty reasonable. My last car cost me 15k. Now the Clang-a-Son is driving it and I'm driving an old 4 thousand dollar used Ford Ranger.
~Clangador

This post "is brought to you by Soylent Red and Soylent Yellow, high energy vegetable concentrates, and new, delicious, Soylent Green. The miracle food of high-energy plankton gathered from the oceans of the world."
Soylent Green (1973)

"Build coffins, that's all you'll need."
The Omega Man (1971)

Register