Author Topic: ATOW  (Read 1526 times)

Dunia

• Corporal
  • Cute, deadly and with 2 PPCs. Fear me.
ATOW
« on: 04 March 2019, 17:49:00 »
As this game is rather unsupported, my GM decided to end our campaign after we were done with part 2 of 3.

It is a very haard universe and game to start up if ypu do not have started in the 80s or read all novels and lore.

Most books only have a few pages dedicated to the RPG and it feels not worth byibg a book for just a few pages.

So, it is most likely that I will leave this forum. I thank you all for all help and fun conversations. Time to find a new SciFi game yo play.
My mother and father met in a Mechwarrior RPG game, I am a Battletech Born Brat :)

CoreWatch

• Private
Re: ATOW
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2019, 20:11:14 »
Good evening Dunia,

Sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience with the game system. It's actually a wonderfully lore rich universe that gets overlooked and can honestly be taken into many story arcs and directions. You don't necessarily have to have grown up with this product since the 1980's to understand and have fun with it. But sadly it does take some time and effort to truly understand how to play and have fun with the system.

As it is one of the few game systems that bridge the sci-fi genre with both a tabletop (Battletech) and an RPG (ATOW) element it can often be hard for some folks to digest, both to GM's and players alike. Sometimes folks need to decide to loosen up their reigns on the rules and their knowledge of the lore a bit and go with a truer narrative route to create and build upon that lore. Which, in turn, will help those GM's build their own stories as their players explore their universe. In this way, it assists groups to deviate from the exact lore verbatim which sometimes promotes the idea to regurgitate rules and historical facts within the universe at the cost of fun for all who are gaming.

The truth is that GM's as much as the players need to learn to mold the rules to help benefit the greater good of the group and to also learn to enjoy the fun that the game system can bring them. If someone at the table is not willing to make those changes or are too stubborn or stoic in that mindset to see that it affects the group as a whole then its best to dissolve the group and start anew.

Having said that, I wish you the best in your Sci-Fi search for gaming!

Cheers!
-CoreWatch
« Last Edit: 04 March 2019, 23:26:25 by CoreWatch »

Register