Author Topic: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.  (Read 52961 times)

BrianDavion

• Captain
Re: Terra. Home to ilClan Wolf.
« Reply #570 on: 01 April 2024, 06:56:43 »
The capellans IIRC actively interfered in the investigation, there's no smoking gun but thsoe Mask agents actions where damning eneugh that I could see it forcing the FWL's hands if it got out to the right people, keep in mind I'm not saying it should happen but if they wanted to contrive something to derail the FWL's planned invasion that'd be a possiable way to do it
The Suns will shine again

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #571 on: 01 April 2024, 07:28:22 »
 The Capellans interfering with the League is as normal as anything else. They are a Successor State and other Successor States do not want them to thrive. The Capellans have a vested interest in the League not being strong. The Capellans feel the same about the Federated Suns and are only trying to feign an alliance with the Draconis Combine out of animosity for the Suns. The Lyrans simply overextended themselves to the point of being inconsequential aside from their naked opportunism.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #572 on: 01 April 2024, 07:29:38 »
I don't see anything in Shattered Fortress that mentions the Capellans in any capacity re: Jessica's assassination.

But this topic is best discussed somewhere else, methinks; this is the Wolf thread.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #573 on: 01 April 2024, 07:59:03 »
 The League worlds held by the Wolf Empire are simply too valuable to justify switching fronts. Furthermore, I doubt the operational security around Daoshen's plan to invade Terra is so great that the League is unaware of it even if they may not know specifics. Remember also that the League has the strategic mobility to finish off the Empire and shift fronts if necessitated within a fair amount of time, that asset has been its greatest strength historically. 
« Last Edit: 01 April 2024, 08:05:51 by Minemech »

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #574 on: 01 April 2024, 11:42:48 »
Regardless of what happens with the League assault into the Empire one thing is for certain: the Empire won't be able to support alaric in the short term. Considering that Othar is forced to "draft" sibko members that are (by Clan standards) too young for trials must be hurting. Especially considering how they already lost a good chunk of manpower to the brush war that was already lingering. Heck the Dragoons wiped out one of his premier clusters and seriously damaged the Keshik Othar build. In a sense it is similar to what Amaris situation was after he had taken the Hegemony but this time the Empire is the supporting partner of captured Terra. Only to loose this base most likely. Heck if the LEague manages to capture Themopolis and Keystone that's a huge chunk of Mech lines suddenlyin Marik hands (despite the Wolves now having access to Terras industrial might but this might needs a steady stream of raw materials). Plus the Wolves on Terra have basically no way of repelnsihing their own touman unless they want to fill their army with Terrans

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #575 on: 01 April 2024, 18:01:55 »
So moving onto a differant subject..

Clan Wolf's Beta Galaxy, they have a tan and grey scheme, we sometimes see them with red striping but not always, even in the same source book sometimes you see a mech with it and without.

So... random thought, could the red striping be something that bloodnamed warriors do?

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #576 on: 01 April 2024, 18:16:18 »
Sounds plausible to me, especially given that we've seen other examples of Bloodnamed warriors in other Clans able to give their machines a little extra flair.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #577 on: 01 April 2024, 19:30:36 »
Sounds plausible to me, especially given that we've seen other examples of Bloodnamed warriors in other Clans able to give their machines a little extra flair.

So with that in mind I think I'm going to start calling those stripes "blood stripes"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #578 on: 04 April 2024, 01:02:04 »
So moving onto a differant subject..

Clan Wolf's Beta Galaxy, they have a tan and grey scheme, we sometimes see them with red striping but not always, even in the same source book sometimes you see a mech with it and without.

So... random thought, could the red striping be something that bloodnamed warriors do?

What sourcebook is this?

I've never heard of Red Stripes for Beta before.

Maybe it was some sort of "appropriate camo" that most units also note using.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #579 on: 07 April 2024, 19:15:47 »
What sourcebook is this?

I've never heard of Red Stripes for Beta before.

Maybe it was some sort of "appropriate camo" that most units also note using.

It’s not super distinct, but the paint example in the Tukayyid Scenario book for Wolf Beta Galaxy has some bits of red trim on the top half

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #580 on: 07 April 2024, 20:57:40 »
It’s not super distinct, but the paint example in the Tukayyid Scenario book for Wolf Beta Galaxy has some bits of red trim on the top half

but only on one example. others are without. so the red trim likely means something

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #581 on: 24 April 2024, 04:05:57 »
I have been flipping through the Clan Spaniel book and there was a small section about distributing the series (or rather a continuation of the series) through the now conquered Republic (well Republic worlds) by 3153 as a way to educate children. My question is would that even work? Considering that especially on Terra they have access to huge libraries / archives I somehow doubt that this series would have any chance especially since it depicts the "invaders" as the good guys. Even if you enforce it as the only series to be shown on tri-vid how would they be able to stop other shows or distribuition of older comic series / cartoon series. Heck from the TRO 3150 Republic book it seems the old Roadrunner clips are still a thing on Terra

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #582 on: 24 April 2024, 05:58:12 »
I'm not sure how much you know about child psychology or childhood development. But the more you learn about this area the more you realize that the things children are exposed to at a very young age have an outsized impact on their development as they age.

There is a growing body of research that tells us what children are exposed to (or experiences they've had, like whether someone read books to them at ages 2-5 or not) has a strong correlation to some surprisingly outcomes later in life.

So if they can show it, or make it part of an education curriculum. Or mess with the algorithms to make sure it's being popped up as recommended content for children, by children, for children, over say that old Roadrunner cartoon. It would have some degree of impact.

Also, if Clan Wolf is engaged in this kind of thing, it isn't probably ONLY this one cartoon. It's probably a multi-pronged approach across different age groups and in different formats. One cartoon by itself may not do a lot. But three cartoons over here, a few books over there, a few ads, efforts to put some Terrans and Clansmen side-by-side at work or in a community so they start to see each other as just people and not just stompy 'mechs. A comprehensive approach would likely have an impact yes.

Versions of this have been depicted across so many scifi and historical shows. The adults don't like the invaders and perhaps are part of a resistance movement even. But the child or children are going to school every day and being exposed to the invaders' version of events, plan for the future, and depiction of themselves (aka propaganda). So as the adults continue to view the invaders as the invaders, the child or children are being subverted into thinking the invaders are actually friends, they aren't that bad, they are good even. Sometimes it goes so far that the child even turns in the adults as traitors as part of the story.

This is an incredibly common portrayal of this kind of thing. Enough so that I think most BT players wouldn't bat an eye at seeing it happen here. Especially if the writers explained it well.

« Last Edit: 24 April 2024, 06:05:20 by Alan Grant »

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #583 on: 24 April 2024, 08:38:00 »
Similar to Stone's Peace initiatives after the fall of the WoB ?

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #584 on: 24 April 2024, 11:36:53 »
Also while there's huge libraries of other stuff, who cares? There's huge libaries of old TV and sure we all saw Gilligan's island reruns as kids but it was the new current stuff that was big. trying to keep your kid from seeing that is going to be pretty hard. I rememebr as a kid sneaking over to a friends house to watch terminator 2, which my parents thought was too violent for me

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #585 on: 24 April 2024, 13:31:48 »
There is one thing about having the choice to watch it or have it shoved down your throat. That was my original assumption. Terra is not like the Clan homeworlds where you were basically starved of entertainment. Unless of course they also flood other entertainment avenues that are a hallmark of Terra like the virtual worlds and so on.

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #586 on: 24 April 2024, 13:55:50 »

Why would they be starved of entertainment?

Clan Spaniel was the most popular kids show (across all Clans) but it doesn't mean it was the only kids show

Especially if you take into account ones who were popular locally and not often sold to other Clans

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #587 on: 24 April 2024, 15:38:44 »
The Clan homeworlds weren’t starved of entertainment. See page 49 of WoK for an in-depth look at their media practices, which vary by Clan and by caste and extend far beyond Clan Spaniel: warriors get military biographies and docu-dramas of great battles, scientists get science-related programming, and the other three castes get programming familiar to the Inner Sphere’s denizens, everything from cooking shows to soap operas to documentaries to news broadcasts. Granted, these things are all heavily censored and tightly controlled, but to say they’re starved of entertainment isn’t at all accurate. The only real difference is that Spheroid media tends towards commercialization and Clam media tends towards information and indoctrination.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2024, 15:41:18 by tassa_kay »

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #588 on: 24 April 2024, 21:18:21 »
 I hear on the midnight programming of the Science Caste channels they occasionally ran programs on mech repo.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #589 on: 24 April 2024, 22:45:14 »
The Clan homeworlds weren’t starved of entertainment. See page 49 of WoK for an in-depth look at their media practices, which vary by Clan and by caste and extend far beyond Clan Spaniel: warriors get military biographies and docu-dramas of great battles, scientists get science-related programming, and the other three castes get programming familiar to the Inner Sphere’s denizens, everything from cooking shows to soap operas to documentaries to news broadcasts. Granted, these things are all heavily censored and tightly controlled, but to say they’re starved of entertainment isn’t at all accurate. The only real difference is that Spheroid media tends towards commercialization and Clam media tends towards information and indoctrination.

and even then that may be slowly changing given the sea foxes are talking about merchandizing in a sidebar. I bet in the new adventures Polly upgrades to a Savage Wolf.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #590 on: 24 April 2024, 23:58:36 »
I hear on the midnight programming of the Science Caste channels they occasionally ran programs on mech repo.

I hear they also play a board game called TechDroidWars.  Its two six-sided dice and a lot of MRE crackers and laboratory distilled liquor.  Make the best Fusionaires you ever tasted.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Nodachi

• Sergeant
« Reply #591 on: 25 April 2024, 06:39:10 »
We do have a century of game time to see how things evolve with the Ilclan and the worlds it ends up keeping.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #592 on: 25 April 2024, 07:25:51 »
and even then that may be slowly changing given the sea foxes are talking about merchandizing in a sidebar. I bet in the new adventures Polly upgrades to a Savage Wolf.

To be fair merchandizing of Clan items isn't a new thing. The Recguide for the Peregrine mentions a small "chibi" plush model of the Peregrine called Uhu which regularly shows up in Mech cockpits and other places. Which isn't the only one in the series but it seems one of the more popular items.

Perhaps I was a bit unclear when I mean "entertainment-starved" but from what I read it seems more that even Clan entertainment caters to the education and indoctrination rather then "pure" entertainment. Perhaps something more akin to arcades or virtual worlds which (from what I found mind you) seem to be rather absent from Clan worlds (though might exist in their OZ's). Remember, Chandrasekar Kurita began dealing with the Clans and he didn't sell them high tech items but rather consumer electronica, toys and other consumables. Stuff that was rare among the Clans.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #593 on: 25 April 2024, 12:24:38 »
Circling back to the real point of the question. You presented this like there are two options. Option 1. It is forced down people's throats. Option 2. It's added to the libraries of stuff and people may not see it because of how large those libraries are.

There are other options. Curated content. Promoted content. Marketed content.

Probably need to bring in a Terran Marketing/Advertising Firm.

You see this every day in the real world. A thing is promoted, it's hyped, buzz is created around it. Then surprise surprise, lots of people go watch it.

Same thing here. So people are exposed to it, and plenty do actually go and watch it.

This isn't an either/or scenario. There are paths forward that would allow Clan Wolf to do this without it feel like they are injecting this directly into people's eyeballs through a syringe.

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #594 on: 25 April 2024, 13:10:20 »
To be fair merchandizing of Clan items isn't a new thing. The Recguide for the Peregrine mentions a small "chibi" plush model of the Peregrine called Uhu which regularly shows up in Mech cockpits and other places. Which isn't the only one in the series but it seems one of the more popular items.

Perhaps I was a bit unclear when I mean "entertainment-starved" but from what I read it seems more that even Clan entertainment caters to the education and indoctrination rather then "pure" entertainment. Perhaps something more akin to arcades or virtual worlds which (from what I found mind you) seem to be rather absent from Clan worlds (though might exist in their OZ's). Remember, Chandrasekar Kurita began dealing with the Clans and he didn't sell them high tech items but rather consumer electronica, toys and other consumables. Stuff that was rare among the Clans.

Hitting a sweet spot between education, indoctrination and entertainment is not that hard

Clan entertainment industry has been in business in the Inner Sphere for a century now, they would have gradually evolved and adapted to new environment without issues, they had more than plenty of time

As for consumer items it's less about availability and more about novelty

Clans have consumer electronics, toys and all other other stuff one might want but variety would on the lower end, different products from different manufacturers will always be interesting to people

Take a kid from the usual toy store to a new one with completely different toys and watch it go bananas

As for videogames they would have plenty of them available at home (game consoles, computers or online games) but arcade cabinets would be something completely new and a popular import item, you are spot on there

Nodachi

• Sergeant
« Reply #595 on: 25 April 2024, 13:21:00 »
And I'm betting that it's just one part of selling the Ilclan/Third Star League to everyone.

Register