Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 162981 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #1200 on: 06 April 2018, 23:59:53 »
I liked the first three episodes of Gamers, but after that the absurd misunderstandings that could have been solved by simply TALKING TO EACH OTHER drove me to regret having picked up the series in the first place. Le sigh.
Yeah, I found it silly how the pink haired one suspects her BF cheating on her while she herself runs off with Amano (the protagonist). Everything gets solved over the time and characters are more supportive of each others than trying to steal partners of others'. Two of them even think that they don't get dumped by their respective partners despite those partners getting well along with each others. Despite of it, yandere jealousy ensues.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2018, 11:12:35 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1201 on: 07 April 2018, 11:22:24 »
I watched first 3 episodes of Devilman Crybaby in my brother's house (he's got Netflix, I don't). Visuals remind me of 80's, but it still looks like drawn with a computer. Backgrounds have been modernized with smart phones and flat TVs/monitors. Differences don't necessarily make it worse, but I don't want to spend more of my time watching it.

About HIDIVE:
That is a good price.  If they had a Playstation app I'd consider subscribing.
Okay, fine, I subscribed. Watching Sword Oratoria now. Maybe Chivalry of a Failed Knight next. Can you give me recommendations?

* Looks at Maria Holic DVDs on the desk
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1202 on: 08 April 2018, 21:12:04 »
High School DxD will also be starting a new season on the 10th for those interested.

Now if only the rumor of Gate having a new season was true...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1203 on: 08 April 2018, 21:57:40 »
You know, I don't think I could name another anime who's protagonist so perfectly encapsulates everything I hate about shonen protagonists better than High School DxD.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #1204 on: 08 April 2018, 22:07:03 »
Darling in the Franxx just got even more interesting....  ***light spoiler below?***

Zero Two must have gone through some real shit to get that 'makeover', not like she wasn't getting all kinds of shit anyway.... sheesh i am starting to really question that society even more than I was initially. Viva la revolution Hiro?
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #1205 on: 09 April 2018, 06:06:56 »
So, MadCap, I've watched both the Glitter Force and Glitter Force: Doki Doki, which are both installments of the Pretty Cure line from Toei.  I'm curious, because looking up these two (first to see what eps were left out of the Americanized versions) I found that there are at least ten different series. Are they linked in any way?  Did Toei have a universe romp of sorts with the different PreCure teams?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1206 on: 09 April 2018, 07:50:22 »
You know, I don't think I could name another anime who's protagonist so perfectly encapsulates everything I hate about shonen protagonists better than High School DxD.

It is not an anime I want my daughter to find I know that much. Found the story interesting and the rest mildly humorous but it isn't one of my favorites.

I was far more interested in finding out about the new season of Overlord being released in July but someone already beat me to that posting.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1207 on: 09 April 2018, 07:52:31 »
While I don't know if all the PreCure series are interconnected, there have been multi-group films. IIRC, there have been at least two or three that feature two or more of them.

As to Darling in the FranXX 13...
That was a interesting ep for sure. While I figured Hiro had to of been memory tweaked at some point, especially after what was reveled in ep 11, it's nice to get this out in the open now.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1208 on: 09 April 2018, 09:49:09 »
So, MadCap, I've watched both the Glitter Force and Glitter Force: Doki Doki, which are both installments of the Pretty Cure line from Toei.  I'm curious, because looking up these two (first to see what eps were left out of the Americanized versions) I found that there are at least ten different series. Are they linked in any way?  Did Toei have a universe romp of sorts with the different PreCure teams?

Pretty Cure is only tangentially connected. In much the same way Super Sentai has regular crossover films, Pretty Cure annually has a grand-crossover movie with all the preceeding series. There's no overarcing plotline, though - all the series except Max Heart & Precure 5 GoGo are stand alone.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1209 on: 09 April 2018, 11:01:56 »
The crossovers have been getting a bit less grand too. I'm assuming it was getting unwieldy trying to fit in 15 years of Precure teams.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1210 on: 09 April 2018, 13:39:50 »
Precure continuity:
  • The first 96 episodes, Futari wa Pretty Cure and Pretty Cure Max Heart, plus the two Max Heart movies are a direct prequel-sequel thing, same characters and continuing storyline and everything. And in my opinion the only installment that's watchable if you aren't a 4 year old girl. Even if people think it's bland.
  • Futari wa Precure: Splash Star with 49 episodes - immediately following Max Heart by broadcast - is a straight-up re-imagination of Futari wa Precure down to the fact that the main characters look like slightly updated clones of the original ones. If they didn't change the character names it'd have worked as a direct continuation. Some people think this version works better than the first one too.
  • Yes! Precure 5 and Yes! Precure 5 GoGo (following after Splash Star by broadcast) form another 96-episode arc with two movies, not connected at all to the previous series.
  • The next nine Precure series (by order: Fresh! Precure, Heartcatch Precure, Suite Precure, Smile Precure!, DokiDoki! Precure, Happiness Charge Precure!, Go! Princess Precure, Mahou Tsukai Precure!, Kirakira Precure a la Mode) are all standalone series within the same setting, usually each as 48-episode full-year broadcasts with a single movie.
  • The current Hugtto! Precure slightly differs from previous series in setup. For some reason they think 13-year-old girls adopting babies are the in thing. It's sorta the mahou shoujo version of the anime Beelzebub. By setup. Not by content.
  • There are eight Precure "All Stars" movies that form a direct prequel-sequel continuity within themselves; the series finished in 2016. These invariably involve some sort of public chance meeting of all Precure main characters and that place then thrown into confusion with the characters fighting together to bring down the one who caused that. As a crossover it's a pretty standard setup and usually not done badly - however this got kinda tedious after the 2015 movie gave the by then 40 main characters an average of 100 seconds screen time. They tried a different setup in 2016 and then ended it there, following up afterwards with a 2017 crossover movie sequel that further crunched down the character count to something more managable (and dropped the "All Stars" moniker).
  • Most characters of previous series also had cameo appearances in Happiness Charge Precure! - which was the ten-year anniversary series. The setup for that is basically that to combat the Phantom Empire, Pretty Cures are activated all over the world. The series focuses on a main group though, it's not a crossover.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2018, 13:46:05 by kato »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1211 on: 09 April 2018, 13:45:58 »
Smile's my favorite, but it also strikes me as the most deliberately otaku pandering. It was a REAL weird choice for a Westernized kids release.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1212 on: 09 April 2018, 20:59:52 »
"Defeated... by a smile! Uaaaagh!"

Yeah. I liked that one a lot, as goofy as the villains were.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1213 on: 10 April 2018, 09:38:39 »
Gundam Build Divers - 2

Well this is interesting. It appears that Gundam Build Divers is gonna be streamed on Gundam.Info's youtube feed as it airs. Ep two is up for viewing (multiple sub option).
Overall, the ep wasn't bad. We get some 'world' info of this VR landscape and some of the potential type of encounters the kids could get drawn into. We also get a tease into the OO Diver's Trans-Am mode, with expected early ep results.

I do kinda get the feeling that Divers is gonna be more of a full love letter to the Gundam franchise as a whole than any of the previous Build series have been.
There's just enough here to keep me interested.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #1214 on: 10 April 2018, 14:03:38 »
To add to the Precure wierd continuity stuff, starting with Maho Tsukai Precure we've had last episode 'hand off' appearances. The starring main Cure from the next season will help the soon to be previous Precure team defeat the baddy.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #1215 on: 10 April 2018, 15:01:37 »
Different tangent: Started watching Children of the Whales.

An interesting world-building series. Did not waste any time getting down and dirty with the attack of the Empire.  4 eps in, and had to pause in the middle of the 5th, but I'm going to finish this short little 12-ep series.

Then on to Violet Evergarden.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1216 on: 10 April 2018, 16:29:17 »
Smile's my favorite, but it also strikes me as the most deliberately otaku pandering. It was a REAL weird choice for a Westernized kids release.
Not that much choice within previous PreCure series though. Suite did a nation-versus-nation backdrop (as opposed to dehumanizing the opponent), Heartcatch had a crossdresser among the main characters and a somewhat dark Sailor Pluto styled mentor Cure. Could have done Fresh i guess.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1217 on: 10 April 2018, 16:52:34 »
Suite did a nation-versus-nation backdrop (as opposed to dehumanizing the opponent),

This may be my 80's upbringing showing, but I wouldn't have thought that all that controversial.

Heartcatch had a crossdresser among the main characters and a somewhat dark Sailor Pluto styled mentor Cure. Could have done Fresh i guess.

Man, I forgot about Cure Sunshine. I was actually thinking Fresh, Yes Precure 5, or the at the time new HappinessCharge would have all been better choices. Doki Doki seemed to have some pretty hefty yuri undertones when I watched it too.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1218 on: 10 April 2018, 22:50:24 »
Gundam Build Divers - 2

Well this is interesting. It appears that Gundam Build Divers is gonna be streamed on Gundam.Info's youtube feed as it airs. Ep two is up for viewing (multiple sub option).
Overall, the ep wasn't bad. We get some 'world' info of this VR landscape and some of the potential type of encounters the kids could get drawn into. We also get a tease into the OO Diver's Trans-Am mode, with expected early ep results.

I do kinda get the feeling that Divers is gonna be more of a full love letter to the Gundam franchise as a whole than any of the previous Build series have been.
There's just enough here to keep me interested.
I'm not really getting into Driver like i did the previous Build Fighter shows.  I guess I'm unique that i actually liked Try perhaps more than the original show.  Driver isn't my cup of tea so far.  Its just plain odd.  Iseka fantasy Gundam like-of show, where girl feels pain of the mode and thinks Trans-Am is bad....
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1219 on: 10 April 2018, 22:59:36 »
I'm not really getting into Driver like i did the previous Build Fighter shows.  I guess I'm unique that i actually liked Try perhaps more than the original show.  Driver isn't my cup of tea so far.  Its just plain odd.  Iseka fantasy Gundam like-of show, where girl feels pain of the mode and thinks Trans-Am is bad....

Well she didn't react only to both Trans-Am usages, but the power-up the one bazooka using Zaku used as well. So it could be that any kind of transformative state could have a underling effect on her coding, if we consider her a AI of some sort. Maybe after ep 3 airs, that might get a little clarification, since that same kind of power-up seems to be used again from the preview.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1220 on: 11 April 2018, 10:35:53 »
Thanks to Netflix, I finally get to watch Violet Evergarden. I'm up to episode six now
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #1221 on: 11 April 2018, 12:35:02 »
Well she didn't react only to both Trans-Am usages, but the power-up the one bazooka using Zaku used as well. So it could be that any kind of transformative state could have a underling effect on her coding, if we consider her a AI of some sort. Maybe after ep 3 airs, that might get a little clarification, since that same kind of power-up seems to be used again from the preview.
If I had to guess, Ms Totally Not an AI, we swear, is reacting more to the stress on the frame. The Dom broke apart, and the 00 looked like it was on its way to doing so before he shut it down.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1222 on: 11 April 2018, 13:19:42 »
Thanks to Netflix, I finally get to watch Violet Evergarden. I'm up to episode six now
My brother has got Netflix ordered, so I could check it up on there. But I'd rather buy it on disc and watch it at home in peace. Would you call it worth the wait & cost? Or should I watch an episode or 2 and decide for myself?

[edit]
I used bro's Netflix account to check on Devilman Crybaby. Not gonna spend more time on that one. For some reason Netflix has got Once Upon a Time... Space in anime category ???

[edit2]
Is Halo any good? (also in Netflix's anime category)
« Last Edit: 11 April 2018, 13:22:42 by Matti »

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1223 on: 11 April 2018, 14:39:32 »
For some reason Netflix has got Once Upon a Time... Space in anime category ???
Like with many other coproductions at the time, it was basically an all-japanese crew animating a foreign script. Albert Barille wrote the original material and was technically the director, with storyboards created by his French team and everything else done by the Japanese company.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1224 on: 11 April 2018, 14:42:26 »
I see, thanks for explaining it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1225 on: 12 April 2018, 23:02:07 »
Well, it's an American show, so it's not anime, but it's close enough so I'll list it here.

Anyone else seen ReBoot: The Guardian Code on Netflix?

I was a big fan of the original, so I gave it a try.  It's terrible.

Looking online, it was apparently originally solicited as a direct sequel to the original but nobody was interested, so it got rebooted (pun intentional) into a live-action/anime hybrid that's more of a mashup of Power Rangers and VR Troopers.  Four teenagers who really don't have much attitude get recruited to stop the evil Sourcerer, who wants to destroy the internet because reasons.  Megabyte gets found and becomes the supporting villain in the second episode, but he's not enough to make up for the utterly bland heroes.

I heard that Bob, Dot, Hexadecimal, and the rest of the original cast shows up at the end, but honestly I don't see the point in sticking with it that long.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1226 on: 12 April 2018, 23:51:32 »
I've seen various related postings to that on youtube.
Dear gawd!...
:::Headdesk:::
I guess it was a good thing I never bothered to investigate it. It sounds like it basically Tron-ified the Reboot universe. I could never imagine something like that ending well.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1227 on: 13 April 2018, 11:55:02 »
Anyone watching Last Period (on CR) ?

It's basically a MMORPG anime parody upfront, with in reality it being a series of NicoNico memes. Wonder how long they can keep it up.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1228 on: 13 April 2018, 12:50:55 »
I've seen various related postings to that on youtube.
Dear gawd!...
:::Headdesk:::
I guess it was a good thing I never bothered to investigate it. It sounds like it basically Tron-ified the Reboot universe. I could never imagine something like that ending well.

It's missing pretty much everything that made the original a good show: there's no humor, no parodies of other shows, no Games, no witty back and forth between Megabyte and the heroes since he obviously doesn't have the respect for them that he had for Bob (not that they deserve it)...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1229 on: 13 April 2018, 22:25:19 »
I just saw Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory episode 1 - Happy go lucky days are over, crap just hit fan for the crew. I won't spoil anything but this looks like slow burn of building story.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register