Author Topic: 2012 Free RPG Scenario  (Read 3207 times)

SANSd20

• Sergeant
2012 Free RPG Scenario
« on: 07 February 2023, 13:06:21 »
I seem to be having an issue picturing this:

When using BattleTech to resolve this situation, the area around Brossard Manor is fairly densely forested, but the road runs through an open field.

Does the road go all the way to the manor? If so, would the section of the road that near the house be densely forested as well?
Mecr KS back #244

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Re: 2012 Free RPG Scenario
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2023, 13:36:38 »
I would assume that Brossard Manor has a road leading to it and that this road runs through an open field. This is because sentence elements that are close together are supposed to relate to each other, and manors have roads leading to them.

But, aside from your query, this sentence has a misplaced modifier, as "the area" cannot be "using BattleTech to resolve this situation." I would have edited this sentence like this: "Under BattleTech rules, a dense forest surrounds Brossard Manor, which connects to a road running through an open field away from the manor." Or, if I wanted to be wordy, I could edit the sentence like this: "Under BattleTech rules, there are four things: a manor, a dense forest, an open field, and a road. The manor is in the dense forest. The dense forest is next to the open field, and the road connects to the manor by going through both the open field and the dense forest."
« Last Edit: 07 February 2023, 13:53:39 by BiggRigg42 »

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2023, 13:50:20 »
What free RPG scenario is this?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2023, 14:10:04 »
CGL created a double scenario (one AToW and one SR) for Free RPG Day 2012 through 2015.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2023, 14:56:44 »
So, something like this?
Mecr KS back #244

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2023, 14:59:09 »
What free RPG scenario is this?

i forgot the word "day" the title should read as "2012 Free RPG Day Scenario"

Mecr KS back #244

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2023, 15:42:52 »
So, something like this?

Yeah, that works. Keep in mind, I haven't read the scenario.

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2023, 16:11:26 »
Yeah, that works. Keep in mind, I haven't read the scenario.

Since this was for a free RPG day, is this something I could send you a copy of?
Mecr KS back #244

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2023, 16:56:43 »
Since this was for a free RPG day, is this something I could send you a copy of?

Technically, I think the answer may be "no." You don't own the copyright, so you don't have the legal authority to make and distribute copies. But since it's free, maybe no one will care? I don't know. Can you send me a link to get my own copy from those who do own the copyright?

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2023, 17:57:40 »
Technically, I think the answer may be "no." You don't own the copyright, so you don't have the legal authority to make and distribute copies. But since it's free, maybe no one will care? I don't know. Can you send me a link to get my own copy from those who do own the copyright?

To be honest, I have no idea where I got it from. I thought I got it from the humble bundle, but I checked and it wasn’t part of that.
Mecr KS back #244

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2023, 18:25:21 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2023, 18:45:48 »
It’s on the site’s downloads page

https://bg.battletech.com/download/AToW_2012%20Free%20RPG%20Day%20Booklet.pdf

Thanks! I was thinking I got it from the Catalyst site! Forgot to look there.
Mecr KS back #244

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2023, 21:51:47 »
I seem to be having an issue picturing this:

Does the road go all the way to the manor? If so, would the section of the road that near the house be densely forested as well?

Unfortunately, they don't specify.  However, you can probably consider it this way:
  • Unless this manor is super-big, it's probably just a single-hex building.  At most, I'd maybe consider a 2- to 3-hex building (1x2 or 1x3)
  • I would recommend having an area at least 1 hex wide surrounding the manor hex(es), as most people do not want branches in a windstorm to fall through their roofs, especially for elderly family manors
  • The rest of the hexes around the manor should be a mix of Light & Heavy Woods (I wouldn't go full-blown Heavy Woods).
  • The question is the road.  However, since if a hex has a Road marked on it you only pay 1 MP (plus elevation changes) to move through it, it just depends on whether you want to have LOS along the road to the manor.

Personally, to keep it easier I would recommend that the Road hexes be clear (with possibly 1 additional clear hex on either side)...but I would also make sure the Road is not perfectly straight.  Maybe have it switchback every few hexes or so, so that with the Woods hexes on either side you have to get close to the manor to have clear LOS on it.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2023, 04:37:24 »
Unfortunately, they don't specify.  However, you can probably consider it this way:
  • Unless this manor is super-big, it's probably just a single-hex building.  At most, I'd maybe consider a 2- to 3-hex building (1x2 or 1x3)
  • I would recommend having an area at least 1 hex wide surrounding the manor hex(es), as most people do not want branches in a windstorm to fall through their roofs, especially for elderly family manors
  • The rest of the hexes around the manor should be a mix of Light & Heavy Woods (I wouldn't go full-blown Heavy Woods).
  • The question is the road.  However, since if a hex has a Road marked on it you only pay 1 MP (plus elevation changes) to move through it, it just depends on whether you want to have LOS along the road to the manor.

Personally, to keep it easier I would recommend that the Road hexes be clear (with possibly 1 additional clear hex on either side)...but I would also make sure the Road is not perfectly straight.  Maybe have it switchback every few hexes or so, so that with the Woods hexes on either side you have to get close to the manor to have clear LOS on it.

Part of the switchback should be in the forest surrounding the Manor to block line of sight, so people can't just fire at the Manor from extreme ranges.  These switchbacks should end at a solid chunk of rock so anyone driving too fast and out of control towards the Manor gets damaged (a normal person would just call ahead or use a phone booth a few miles away from the Manor).

One fun idea might be at the end of each switchback is a depth 2 pond.  So if a Mech tries to run along the road towards the manor, they have to make piloting changes at each turn.  If they fail the piloting roll the Mech goes in the water.  Add a few command-activated mines in the water and along the sides of the road for extra fun.  The rest of the map is wonderful rough terrain, so they can travel along the road at 1 MP per hex, or the rest of the terrain at 2 MP per hex.  Jumping Mechs can avoid all of this, but Jumping imposes its own penalties.

Add a few hardened positions around the perimeter to help defend?  Or make the local terrain and defenses similar to a Bastion Fort, so the defenders are protected while the attackers have a gentle enough slope that they cannot hide.  If the attackers take one of the positions, it is completely exposed from the rear and the displaced defenders have already moved back to another location to keep shooting.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2023, 10:02:09 »

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 10 February 2023, 10:54:37 »

What scale are you thinking? AToW scale is one hex equals five meters. I think the manor would be 2 hexes wide minimum.
Mecr KS back #244

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 10 February 2023, 10:55:33 »
Thanks every one. This has got a lot of good info unit in it.
Mecr KS back #244

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #17 on: 10 February 2023, 21:07:20 »
What scale are you thinking? AToW scale is one hex equals five meters. I think the manor would be 2 hexes wide minimum.
It's not quite that simple.  AToW scale is whatever you want it to be...

SANSd20

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 11 February 2023, 00:59:58 »

When you are right, you are right.
Mecr KS back #244

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2023, 13:21:43 »

Good point.  I was assuming it would be scaled up to CBT scale (1 hex = 30m).  If using AToW scale, that's a x6 increase in each direction.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2023, 19:18:49 »
Trying to use TW scale for AToW is...  :o

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2023, 20:35:50 »

For human-sized interactions, yeah, it would be bad.  But if your AToW characters are all running around buttoned-up inside 'Mechs...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2023, 20:38:59 »
Oh sure, but that's really more TW anyway...  :)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2023, 21:55:50 »

I think we have rules for this on pages 230-238. If I were to use them for out of 'Mech play, my characters would need at least one vehicle and some sniper rifles.

One rule breaks down at the 30 meter per hex scale. According to the movement costs table (p.168), turning each 60 degrees over 120 degrees costs 1 extra MP. This is no problem at the 5 meter per hex scale, because 1 mp costs only 5 meters of speed, but at the 30 meter per hex scale, making a 180 degree turn will cost you 30 meters of speed. You may need to sprint to turn in place.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 16 February 2023, 04:11:12 »
I think you could safely ignore that rule and just spend meters of your movement as normal.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2023, 10:16:12 »
I think you could safely ignore that rule and just spend meters of your movement as normal.

I've been safely ignoring this rule for quite some time!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2023, 18:37:11 »
 :thumbsup:

Register