Author Topic: Touman sizes  (Read 5269 times)

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Re: Touman sizes
« Reply #60 on: 01 June 2023, 17:06:46 »
Remember, once there were 800 soldiers in Toumen, and that's not counting tankers, VTOL pilots and infantry. Later came Elementals.

Not quiet though: Squad leaders and also tank commanders were counted as warriors. what wasn't counted were the crews / squadmates despite them being trained as warriors or rather auxiliaries. Something that has more or less vanished from Clan toumans except perhaps the Blood Spirits (having their entire population undergo basic military training) and the Horses having a sizeable pool of secondary warriors thanks to their practice of given failed sibko graduates a chance at a lesser position instead of relegation to another caste

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #61 on: 01 June 2023, 17:22:20 »
PS.  And Viper 2nd Line Clusters which are all a mix of Mechs & Leg Infantry Testdowns.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #62 on: 01 June 2023, 23:30:37 »
Remember, once there were 800 soldiers in Toumen, and that's not counting tankers, VTOL pilots and infantry. Later came Elementals.
This is an interesting question, but one that seems impossible to answer from the material we have. If Nicholas's number was originally intended to represent the size of a Clan (which I don't think it was, that's just what he had available), then the founding Clans were sitting on roughly 8 Galaxies of warriors, which is not a small number, and which would have grown throughout the Golden and Political Centuries. I'm not certain that a touman and a Clan were analogous at this point in Clan history, but the question is interesting for thinking about the eventual size a touman might grow in to.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2023, 10:51:22 by cmerwin »
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #63 on: 02 June 2023, 01:48:54 »
This is an interesting question, but one that seems impossible to answer from the material we have. If Nicholas's number was originally intended to represent the size of a Clan (which I don't think it was, that's just what he had available), then the founding Clans were sitting on roughly 8 Galaxies of warriors, which is not a small number, and which would have grown throughout the Golden and Political Centuries. I'm not certain that a touman and a Clan were analogous at this point in Clan history, but the question is interesting for thinking about the eventual size a touma might grow in to.

The only thing Nicholas ever really established regarding Clan size is that he intended them to all remain roughly the same size, to balance each other, which I believe was in Betrayal of Ideals. That's why part of why the Brian Cache issue that ended up being the catalyst for the Wolverine Annihilation was so important.

Notice that the first Absorption of a Clan happened after he died (and ironically, because he died).
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #64 on: 02 June 2023, 10:43:39 »
Notice that the first Absorption of a Clan happened after he died (and ironically, because he died). 
But IIRC he "intended" the Wolverines to be an Absorption till they revolted more & it evolved into an Annihilation.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #65 on: 02 June 2023, 10:51:06 »
But IIRC he "intended" the Wolverines to be an Absorption till they revolted more & it evolved into an Annihilation.

The point still stands regardless.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: 03 June 2023, 07:17:20 »
There is the theory that the Absorption trials were meant to basically unite the Clans in case the initial unity breaks. As Clanners are drilled to follow orders and maintain unity  within the Clan it stands to reason that Clans that get absorbed become part of a bigger unity. And following that Clans that stray from the way get sorted out. Though of course the theory is more sound then reality shows (the Blood Spirits being notorious for resisting integration and the hardcore Burrcoks silently rebelling against the Adders by maintaining their contacts with the Dark Caste as the rather obvious examples)

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 03 June 2023, 08:17:28 »
It's really not theory, that's fact. Those Trial types exist so that the Clans have a system for handling a group (whether it be an individual, unit, enclave, planet or Clan) that needs to go away or lose their independent autonomy.  After having watched the SLDF-in-Exile splinter and the Exodus Civil War, it's easy to imagine Nicholas and the others foresaw the need to have game-planned out such scenarios.

But I kinda feel like we've veered off the original topic.