Author Topic: Can I play a religious WoB nut job in the Dark Age?  (Read 1959 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Can I play a religious WoB nut job in the Dark Age?
« on: 25 March 2018, 21:14:53 »
I know the Word of Blake dies out after the Jihad. However, I think it would be fun to play a ComStar ROM agent who worships Blake and the HPGs in the Dark Age. That way my character can blame the black out on people's lack of faith. Is it possible for me to pull this off and still be consistent with the cannon?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Can I play a religious WoB nut job in the Dark Age?
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2018, 21:20:11 »
It'd be pretty much the same thing as playing a Nazi sympathizer in a RPG set in the early Cold War: you'd be universally vilified by everyone you meet, but yeah you could do it if you don't mind having no long term prospects for the character.  (or are a closeted Blakist)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2018, 21:40:08 »
I was going to take the dark secret trait or something like that.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2018, 21:48:08 »
Well then that's indeed an appropriate Dark Secret for the Dark Age setting.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2018, 23:13:57 »
I'd also would take In for Life as well... then take Enemy ( 2 ) Republic of the Sphere / Technophobes, since they were the ones that ( you perceive ) caused the HPG fallout.

You still worship Blake and the " Comstar " way of fixing things via religious rites, secretly doing so...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2018, 04:16:34 »
If you grab the Dark Age Era Report mini pdf and look at some of the minor factions you will realize that you are not at all alone.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2018, 06:57:53 »
I know the Word of Blake dies out after the Jihad. However, I think it would be fun to play a ComStar ROM agent who worships Blake and the HPGs in the Dark Age. That way my character can blame the black out on people's lack of faith. Is it possible for me to pull this off and still be consistent with the cannon?

Those people who think exactly like that are Precento Buhl’s kind of people - the kind who kidnap Tucker Harwell, plot against the Republic and eventually get destroyed on Epslion E when their secret army and plots are revealed.

I’d run your PC as a part of that conspiracy - with a dark secret and high level connection (fanatical Precentor further up the chain).
And when Levin and the Republic eventually smash the secret ComGuard army - take the Bloodmark trait and flee to the periphery...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2018, 15:13:27 »
There are pro-blakist factions in the Republic during the dark age though... and they can certainly get together to do bad things.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2018, 16:14:41 »
There are pro-blakist factions in the Republic during the dark age though... and they can certainly get together to do bad things.

Yeah, there’s a neo-Blakist faction mentioned in the Era Report. Terrorst group claiming to be acting in the interest of the Word. Although it’s unclewr if they’re actually form former Blakists, connected to hiding Word types or just loonies.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2018, 17:45:41 »
IIRC there was also a movement to resurrect the religious trappings of Blakism that was separate to the various political and paramilitary movements.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Register