Author Topic: “Save” the Jags  (Read 133676 times)

CJC070

• Lieutenant
Re: “Save” the Jags
« Reply #450 on: 21 June 2020, 06:55:04 »
Depends on the relative strength of each, but I think Osis could have pushed something like that through if he'd wanted to.  The issue is that he and the council were both too rabidly conservative to even consider something like that.

Look at the Clan Steel Vipers specifically Perigard Zalman to see an example.  Actually the Steel Vipers and Smoke Jaguars were very similar with their opinions and challenges in conquering the Inner Sphere.

Another issue was the lack of battlemechs that Clan Smoke Jaguar had to begin with.  Most of the Solhama units had captured Inner Sphere Mechs (C variants).

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #451 on: 21 June 2020, 09:08:20 »
Those weren't solhama units, as noted if you're solhama you're given a rifle, not a battlemech.  And few of those IS mechs were equipped with Clantech, they were generally stock since the Jaguars didn't have the resources to upgrade them to Clantech.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #452 on: 21 June 2020, 10:28:59 »
Those weren't solhama units, as noted if you're solhama you're given a rifle, not a battlemech.  And few of those IS mechs were equipped with Clantech, they were generally stock since the Jaguars didn't have the resources to upgrade them to Clantech.
This is not correct.
The Clans do have Solahma cluster equipped with Mechs.

Among the 6 clusters defending Huntress were 4 Solahma clusters equipped with Battlemechs
Watchmen Galaxy: 44th and 63rd Solahma Cluster
Iron Guard Galaxy: 12th and 77th Solahma Cluster

(Source: Twilight of the Clans scenario)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Save the Jags
« Reply #453 on: 28 June 2020, 21:49:31 »
If in my scenario say the blood spirits wiped out serpent and reclaimed the jags genetic repository with the Jag remains what if any of the following could they claim as the victors:

1) Any salvage
2) Several " production runs" of prized sibkos
           By my understanding and correct me if I am wrong the Clans have the ability to mass produce warriors but they are limited by the trainers, time and equipment of the clan itself right?
            So could the Spirits demand " Give me 2 sibkos of Osis with a side of Moon elementals"
                  Not claiming the blood right but the actual sibkos new babies or young tykes
3) The actual blood rights
         If the jags lost a refusal trial could the Spirits claim the exclusive blood lines or did that still need GC approval?

Wanted to bump up this question re: Sibkos can how that would be handled

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #454 on: 28 June 2020, 22:17:02 »
I think if the Blood Spirits wiped out Task Force Serpent,  they could have dictated terms and declared themselves the rightful Absorbers of the Smoke Jaguars (In my opinion, the Grand Council would have been fine with this, they were that dysfunctional) .  They would have full rights to do with the Jag bloodlines as they please, from trading bloodlines for material support, to the adoption of all current sibkos in training.

Edited due to autocorrupt
« Last Edit: 29 June 2020, 00:25:54 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

2ndAcr

• Captain
Re: %u201CSave%u201D the Jags
« Reply #455 on: 28 June 2020, 23:37:26 »
 Mass produce yes, still takes 18 years for those warriors to actually take the field. You could "birth" 5,000 warriors and graduate all of them, but it still takes 18 years before they take the field in your Touman. Gonna depend on exactly how many Iron Wombs you actually have available for the task.

Using it is a multi decade investment. I honestly doubt any clan had more than 300 Iron Wombs for each Phenotype. Each decanting 100 warriors every 9 months for each Phenotype. So call it 1,000 to 1,200 Iron Wombs per Clan. At least that would be my math on the issue. And under normal conditions and training hoping to get maybe 10 graduates out of each "birth" of 100.

« Last Edit: 28 June 2020, 23:39:00 by 2ndAcr »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #456 on: 30 June 2020, 15:04:09 »
I honestly doubt any clan had more than 300 Iron Wombs for each Phenotype. Each decanting 100 warriors every 9 months for each Phenotype.

It’s not a continuous process.  Trueborn generations were/are decanted every five years.  So each clan probably has a lot more iron wombs.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #457 on: 01 July 2020, 11:14:31 »
To be clear.   

The 5 years "generation" thing has to do with giving a specific pairing 5 years before those parents are used again to start to see early test results.

I'd assume as soon as the wombs are done they start using them for a different set of parents for another sibko.

So I'm not sure how many they would actually need to keep up with losses.

Also, are all Sibko's 100?   I forget but I thought there was some variation of 20-100 based on clan, just like some clans are pure pairing sibkos while others like the Wolves mixed them.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #458 on: 01 July 2020, 11:34:58 »
The term "generation" always seemed stupid to me.

Hey, these 5 year olds look great, let mix their genes together in our next batch!  ::)
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #459 on: 01 July 2020, 12:19:22 »
To be clear.   

The 5 years "generation" thing has to do with giving a specific pairing 5 years before those parents are used again to start to see early test results.

I'd assume as soon as the wombs are done they start using them for a different set of parents for another sibko.

So I'm not sure how many they would actually need to keep up with losses.

Also, are all Sibko's 100?   I forget but I thought there was some variation of 20-100 based on clan, just like some clans are pure pairing sibkos while others like the Wolves mixed them.

I wondered that as well and would higher prestige blood names warrant extra production runs?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #460 on: 01 July 2020, 14:39:27 »
 On that prestigious part, I'd think they're more rare, hence earned bloodnames, not bloodlines. I mean creating genetic material from stock is one thing, but to make more because it's prestigious is another.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #461 on: 02 July 2020, 11:08:58 »
It’s not a continuous process.  Trueborn generations were/are decanted every five years.  So each clan probably has a lot more iron wombs.

No, it is continous- FMWC, I am Jade Falcon, Marthe's Coventry training program, and numerous other sources.  The Iron Wombs, training facilities, and instructors are constantly at work creating new warriors.  Heck the most recent being Always Faithful talking about the range of sibbies Serpent took over.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #462 on: 02 July 2020, 12:32:42 »
No, it is continous- FMWC, I am Jade Falcon, Marthe's Coventry training program, and numerous other sources.  The Iron Wombs, training facilities, and instructors are constantly at work creating new warriors.  Heck the most recent being Always Faithful talking about the range of sibbies Serpent took over.

That is what I thought as well. The bottle necks in terms of touman expansion were the trainers and facilities to train and gear for those who became warriors?

So for the jags with their very tough training and limited resource pool had no easy way to quickly bulk up their toumans.

The crusader wolves did a two step thing which addressed the man power issue. They did the harvest trials and basically press ganged the lower casts to pad the garrisons etc

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #463 on: 02 July 2020, 13:22:58 »
That is what I thought as well. The bottle necks in terms of touman expansion were the trainers and facilities to train and gear for those who became warriors?

So for the jags with their very tough training and limited resource pool had no easy way to quickly bulk up their toumans.

The crusader wolves did a two step thing which addressed the man power issue. They did the harvest trials and basically press ganged the lower casts to pad the garrisons etc

But only after half the touman- the part not involved in the Refusal War- misjumped into a black hole.

The Jags, as presented, had a problem in their inability to adapt.  What they did and how they did it worked well when everyone used the same rules in the Home Worlds, their reputation let them get away with a lot of things as they scavenged against the weaker Clans.  Did we ever get any indication the Jags used C models like the Falcons and other Clans did in their OZs- I know its on the MUL, but we never actually saw it in SB or fiction I think.  I mean, Howell was executed for daring have IS salvage equip the garrison of Huntress- most Clans would have praised that for avoiding waste!  Mechs were sitting in the IS without being used, empty ships from the OZ back to Home Worlds- win win!  But no, it tarnished their image?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #464 on: 02 July 2020, 14:00:15 »
Also, are all Sibko's 100?   I forget but I thought there was some variation of 20-100 based on clan

Moderate clans have smaller sibkos (Wolves use 20) with fewer training deaths and washouts but rely on more challenging ToPs to ensure high quality in the touman.  More conservative/radical clans have larger sibkos (up to 100), in which most of the sibkin die or wash out during training.

The term "generation" always seemed stupid to me.

Hey, these 5 year olds look great, let mix their genes together in our next batch!  ::)

As a dad, it makes perfect sense.  Pediatricians track growth (height, weight), test sight, hearing, and reflexes, assess pulmonary function, etc. from birth.  Schools begin standardized testing in kindergarten.

There’s no reason the Clans wouldn’t do the same with their trueborn sibkin.  And if most or all of the sibkin from a particular pairing of geneparents aren’t meeting expectations for growth, have myopia, have low IQs, etc., at five years, then the Scientist Caste would rethink that pairing for the next generation.

No, it is continous- FMWC, I am Jade Falcon, Marthe's Coventry training program, and numerous other sources... Always Faithful talking about the range of sibbies Serpent took over.

WCSB is clear that “New generations are produced in this fashion every ten years, creating thousands of new warriors and adding to the ranks of the citizenry.”

I’ve seen nothing in later products that contradicts this statement about trueborn generations except to shorten them to five years.  It makes sense as some delay between generations is needed so that sibkin can mature, their development can be assessed, and the Scientist Caste can plan the next generation of geneparent pairings based on that (and other) data.

Sibkin facilities, trainers, etc. are going to be busy no matter the size and timing of trueborn generations because the Clans abhor waste.  They’re going to size those resources to match the number of sibkin.  Clans are not going to have large numbers of empty training facilities and trainers twiddling their thumbs regardless of whether the eugenics program pumps out infants every year, every five years, or every ten years.

It’s also not surprising that Serpent found sibkin with a range of ages.  Even if each generation of Jaguar trueborn has the exact same birthday, you’d still have newborn/toddler, kindergartner/elementary-age, secondary-age, and college-age sibkin with five-year centers.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #465 on: 02 July 2020, 20:27:01 »
Like I said, every other source since counters that- FMWC which is what I sited- talked about how Ulric sent a selection from the sibkos between ages X and Y that would give the Wardens a trickle of replacements until their program came on line.  Marthe had sibkos of various ages fighting their Trials of Position as part of her Coventry offensive to blood her replacement troops. 

The Invasion Wolves had large and small training facilities, the size of the sibko depends on the size of the facility.
Colt Ward

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #466 on: 02 July 2020, 21:19:03 »
FMWC which is what I sited- talked about how Ulric sent a selection from the sibkos between ages X and Y

FMWC only states that Ulric sent sibkos ranging from 2 to 14 years of age.  That’s not inconsistent with generations on five-year centers.  The bulk of the sibkos at the time Ulric sent them would have been 3, 8, and 13 years of age, with a few falling just outside at 2 and 4, 7 and 9, and 12 and 14 years of age, depending on exactly where their decanting dates fell relative to the date Ulric sent them.

Marthe had sibkos of various ages fighting their Trials of Position as part of her Coventry offensive to blood her replacement troops.

I don’t know that quote, but again, trueborn generations separated by five years will still create a sibkin population with various ages at any particular point in time.

The Invasion Wolves had large and small training facilities, the size of the sibko depends on the size of the facility.

I don’t think there’s a 1:1 correlation between the size of training facilities and the size of sibkos, at least in the Wolves.  WCSB states “scientists produced 20 children per birthing from the genetic material of one pair” and that the Clan then “raised this ‘sibko’ (sibling company)”.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #467 on: 03 July 2020, 09:54:57 »
Curious, how long is a " standard " gestational period? And would advanced fertility medical care have fast growth chemicals or would it be " all natural  "?

Maybe this will solve the problem of how much time was needed.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #468 on: 03 July 2020, 18:06:33 »

That first review to me always seemed like it should be "medical defects" & "early learning" issues v/s are they showing signs of promise as a mechwarrior.

If a match showed to have a lot of "problems" in the first 5 years they might decide not to repeat it at 5 years & wait to see more results at 10 years.

It might also not even be an issue of repeating that exact same match but instead, does either parent get used in a different match.

For example:
If Joe Kerensky & Lisa Ward create a batch of "Sloths" (Goonies) then they don't get used again for anything.
But assuming they have normal kindergartners at the 5 year point then they are split up & paired up with Mike Connors & Amy Raddick for 2 new batches in the next run.
If on the other hand say by 10 years its a full sibko of baby ninja geniuses, then they repeat the Joe/Lisa pairing again.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #469 on: 03 July 2020, 18:29:14 »
FMWC only states that Ulric sent sibkos ranging from 2 to 14 years of age.  That’s not inconsistent with generations on five-year centers.  The bulk of the sibkos at the time Ulric sent them would have been 3, 8, and 13 years of age, with a few falling just outside at 2 and 4, 7 and 9, and 12 and 14 years of age, depending on exactly where their decanting dates fell relative to the date Ulric sent them.
It can be consistent if you realize the "Generation" is applied to a specific pairing, not the entire sibko system.

Each "Generation" of a specific blood pairing is done no closer than 5 years.

So using my names from above.  Joe & Lisa had a batch in 3050.   But 2 years later a pairing of Ulric & Jera Carns was used to create a batch.

So that every 9 month - 1 year or so, a group from 1 creche is moved on to a sibko while the nursemaids are then free to start caring for a new batch of babies.

But you have many sets of nursemaids all over your homeworlds.

So the Joe/Lisa batch in 3050 might be from an Eden based facility.
While the Ulric/Jera 3052 pairing was done at Tranquil.

The nursemaids handle the creche for 10 years but not every creche starts at the same time.

Similar to how Basic Training is handled in the Army,  our battalion would have a different company graduate new recruits every 2-4 weeks & then start a new cycles a week or 2 after that.
The entire battalion didn't start/graduate on the same day.

Using the 20/100 figures & also Clan Wolf's "mixed sibko" system to create an example.
5 batches of 20 from 5 different pairings are born on the same day.
So we have the Joe/Lisa kids as well as 4 other sets of blood named.
For 10 years they all live in 5 separate creches on Eden.
Then at age 10 those that have survived are combined into 1 mixed sibko of those 5 different blood parents.

2 years later the Ulric/Jera pairing is born along w/ several other pairings on Eden.

Maybe a year later a batch on Strana Mechty is produced.

I don't know if the Wolves would have creches on every world but I'd assume they have training facilities on at least 2-3.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #470 on: 03 July 2020, 21:52:15 »
And while WCSB might be interpreted that way every other source indicates its a continual process of decanting, raising, and go to training.
Colt Ward

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #471 on: 04 July 2020, 08:44:55 »
Got it. Any clan which wanted to publicly help the jags had to have both the political and military juice to make any detractors back down.

As has been stated here earlier, osis made a fatal error by coming to the grand council in the way he did, by not factoring the general disdain the jags were held in and vlad and marthes desire to see him fall...

Cutting a quite side deal with a crusader minded khan or kindraa leader would have gotten him the short term breathing room he needed.

I am reading the fall of huntress novels again and after a grinding campaign on April 29th osis was set to go back to strana mechty for help again. If he had cut a quite deal could renforcements been back in time?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #472 on: 04 July 2020, 16:11:23 »
And while WCSB might be interpreted that way every other source indicates its a continual process of decanting, raising, and go to training.

/Looks up.....I wasn't implying differently.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #473 on: 04 July 2020, 19:43:02 »
If he had cut a quite deal could renforcements been back in time?

Diplomacy wasn't much of a Jaguar trait...I could see them getting hopelessly ripped off by giving away too much.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #474 on: 04 July 2020, 19:52:23 »
  Diplomacy wasn't much of a Jaguar trait...I could see them getting hopelessly ripped off by giving away too much.

Oh 100%!!

They were totally desperate at that point. My question is could any units have gotten back to huntress before victor arrives and without the other clans funding out about it before they landed?

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #475 on: 04 July 2020, 21:15:15 »
Oh 100%!!

They were totally desperate at that point. My question is could any units have gotten back to huntress before victor arrives and without the other clans funding out about it before they landed?

The problem would be: Could anything be kept secret at Strana Mechty? Can a jumphip arrive, its shuttles deploy, and people embark secretly, in the most secured system in Clan space? Can even the Khan of one clan communicate with another without a chain of middlemen, each a link in a chain of security? I have serious doubts due to the poor record the clans have of keeping secrets.
  Even with decent security, once a clan responds, who wouldn't notice the activation, mobilization and movement of large amounts of military assets on the part of one clan? Somebody will notice and ask questions...or take action.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #476 on: 05 July 2020, 00:27:55 »
/Looks up.....I wasn't implying differently.

I was referring to Natasha's point.
Colt Ward

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #477 on: 06 July 2020, 10:27:41 »

None of which contradicts and all of which is consistent with Clan trueborn generations being decanted every five years, right down to the numbers used in FMWC.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #478 on: 06 July 2020, 11:31:29 »
How?  You are inferring too much from a 5 year generation line Ulric throws out.  The five years encompasses the basic turnover of most of the touman- call it the life expectancy of the average warrior, which means that around half of the warriors of a particular year would have died or been invalided out in that timeframe.  Elementals would have a shorter cycle time than Mechwarriors IMO, so branches probably have their own timeframe but the average is again that 5 years.  Ulric sent a trickle of replacements through those sibkos for the years it will be until the Warden Wolves had their own programs produce warriors.  Which does not imply any 3 year absence between your 5 year generations. 

Further, it would be a disaster and defies logic.  Consider the big Bear/Horse battle for Tokasha that involved galaxies.  IF that battle had happened say 1 year after your supposed decanting then both of those Clans would be crippled from personnel losses when both had galaxies get mauled for the next four years and be vulnerable to other Clans for that time.  They could make up or stop-gap the material losses but nearly 3 years without replacement troops would encourage further predatory attacks

Joanna on Coventry or as part of the Coventry campaign as written up in a 'Twilight' arc novel IIRC mentally monologues about the new warriors being tested, ranging from 18 to 14 IIRC and she even divides them between the 18-16 year old and the younger warriors.  Its the part where she accidentally kills one nicknamed Shield.  It has been a while since I read the Jade Phoenix trilogy but IIRC Aiden as a freebirth gets to be a target for a couple of different year classes of sibkos.

Forever Faithful says Huntress had 18 sibko training centers, we know they had some clusters forming from graduates (Op Serpent books), I want to say Vic's bodyguard Tiamar had a bunch of 8 or 9 (or younger?) year olds in the sewer, and a woman was sheltering some 10-12 year olds from the Lurking Jaguar sibko.
Colt Ward

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #479 on: 06 July 2020, 13:38:29 »
How?  You are inferring too much from a 5 year generation line Ulric throws out.

Not inferring anything from one line.  It’s the combination of WCSB and later references correcting the 10-year generations in the WCSB to 5-year generations.

It’s also common sense.  Leaving time for sibkin to mature and warriors to perform, surveying the growth and performance of every sibkin and bloodnamed warrior in a touman, assessing that data, and using that data to create geneparent pairings for the next generation of warriors is like performing a national census, evaluating thousands of incoming college class applications, and selecting parents for thousands of orphans.  The are reasons why the US census is performed once every ten years, why colleges select the vast majority of their freshmen only once a year, and why processes like childhood adoption can take months to years.  We shouldn’t expect the creation of Clan trueborn generations to be any less intensive or time-consuming.  More so, in fact, given how the trueborn represents the pinnacle of Clan society.

The five years encompasses the basic turnover of most of the touman

Toumans don’t turn over every five years.  Per CWoK, Clan warriors have an _average_ life expectancy of 45 years.  (45.2 years to be specific!)  Trueborns usually undergo their first Trial of Position or Blooding around 20 years.  So, all other things being equal, about half of a touman will turn over every 25 years.

Ulric sent a trickle of replacements through those sibkos for the years it will be until the Warden Wolves had their own programs produce warriors.

I saw no quote to that effect in FMWC.  FMWC states that Ulric sent sibkos with Clan Wolf-in-Exile that ranged from 2 to 14 years of age at the time Ulric sent them.  Per my upstream message, that’s actually consistent with Wolf trueborn generations that are five years apart, specifically with sibkos that were mostly composed of 3-, 8-, and 13-year olds at the time Ulric sent them.

If Ulric did order his Scientist Caste to create a continuous “trickle of replacements” in preparation for the creation of Clan Wolf-in-Exile, then Ulric ordered his scientists to deviate from the 5-year standard for that special circumstance.  That is not representative of the 5-year cycle that the Clan Scientist Caste normally uses to assess, evaluate, plan, gestate, and decant new trueborn generations.  (But again, I’ve seen no evidence that Ulric even did that.)

Further, it would be a disaster and defies logic.  Consider the big Bear/Horse battle for Tokasha that involved galaxies.  IF that battle had happened say 1 year after your supposed decanting then both of those Clans would be crippled from personnel losses when both had galaxies get mauled for the next four years and be vulnerable to other Clans for that time.

First, per TP:Tokasha, only two galaxies were involved from each side, which represents a relatively small fraction of the relatively large Bear and Horse toumans.  Even if one of these Clans suffered 100% casualties in two galaxies, either of these Clans has the depth to cover their assets by redeploying their existing galaxies.  (Especially the loser, as they don’t have to garrison Tokasha!)

Moreover, when Clan toumans are truly devastated, they have numerous replacements at their disposal other than trueborn sibkin fresh from their ToPs.  There are tons of references in the canon to secondline and garrison galaxies/clusters being moved to frontline status, to increasing the proportion of freeborn warriors in toumans, to harvest trials against other Clans to fill gaps in toumans, to contract bids with other Clans to cover gaps in toumans, to trueborn reserves in lower castes being called up, etc.

So even if the next trueborn generation is a few years away, a major loss is not the end of the world for a touman.  In fact, if there was a continuous stream of trueborn warriors, then Clans would not have to resort to these other methods for filling depleted ranks.  The existence of these other methods for filling depleted touman ranks is actually strong evidence that the Clans do not maintain a continuous stream of new, trueborn warriors.

Joanna on Coventry or as part of the Coventry campaign as written up in a 'Twilight' arc novel IIRC mentally monologues about the new warriors being tested, ranging from 18 to 14 IIRC and she even divides them between the 18-16 year old and the younger warriors.

Just like a grade in elementary or secondary school, you would expect a three-year range of ages at any particular point in time for a Clan trueborn generation, depending on where decanting dates line up with that particular point in time.  For example, at any particular point in time this past school year, my kindergartner’s grade had old 4-year olds, 5-year olds, and young 6-year olds.

I can’t confirm the Twilight quote or those numbers like I did the FMWC reference.  (Sorry, I just don’t have the time to search several novels.)  But if accurate, a four-year spread might be indicative that the Falcons were not producing trueborn generations every five years at that time.  But it’s not definitive proof that the Falcons had a continuous supply of new trueborns, either.  Maybe all the Falcons had done was push their Scientist Caste to squeeze their 5-year cycle by six months on either end.  (That would be understandable given the pressures of Operation Revival and the Refusal War.). The resulting four-cycle could produce the numbers claimed from the Twilight cycle.  But we just don’t know.

Forever Faithful says Huntress had 18 sibko training centers

Which doesn’t mean anything in the context of this argument unless Forever Faithful also provides some info on sibkin ages at those centers.  (I think you’re implying that Huntress has 18 centers each representing one year of sibkin maturation.  But unless Forever Faithful actually states something to that effect, that’s just one possible implication and not proof of anything.)

Look, I’m not the Clan canon police or anything.  Your headcanon and campaigns are your own.  All I’m saying is that we have some very clear statements in the canon that the Clans produce new trueborn generations every five years, that these statements are consistent with the age range of the sibkos that Ulric sent with the Wolves-in-Exile, and that these statements are consistent with the existence of the many other methods that the Clans use to replace losses in their toumans in the absence of a continuous stream of new trueborns.  I also think these statements are consistent with common sense concerning the timelines needed to allow sibkin to mature and bloodnamed warriors to perform and for the Scientist Caste to survey and assess the prior generations and plan the next one.  The only potential evidence that might be inconsistent is the Falcon age range from the Twilight novels, and even that, if accurate and true, can be explained multiple ways.  We have zero statements or definitive evidence from the canon that the Clans decant continuous streams of new trueborns.  Instead, we have clear statements, dispositive evidence, and I’d argue quite a bit of logic to the contrary.

Hope this helps.  My two Kerenskies.  YMMV...
« Last Edit: 06 July 2020, 18:30:16 by Natasha Kerensky »