Author Topic: New CamoSpecs Online Site  (Read 94536 times)

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
New CamoSpecs Online Site
« on: 02 December 2020, 17:05:20 »
It's here.

After many, many hours of hard work, and years of your patience, a new CSO site is coming online now.  We built it with one main goal: provide all the same types of scheme information and miniatures we have in the past, and be fast enough to use all the time.

Please know that there are a few changes still in progress, but we didn't want to wait any longer.  As the DNS changes spread across the world, we hope this will be a day long remembered, and remembered fondly. 

CDT Special Agent #343

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
Re: New CamoSpecs Online Site
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2020, 17:10:59 »
Looks nice.

I can't get the cookie permissions dialog to close though

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2020, 17:11:37 »
Nice.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2020, 17:14:18 »
Looks as if there are some issues on mobile with elements overlapping. This screenshot is from my iPad in landscape mode
« Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 18:16:23 by pixelgeek »

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2020, 17:21:47 »
Have you considered putting a link to it somewhere in the thread?

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2020, 17:27:07 »
Have you considered putting a link to it somewhere in the thread?
It's https://camospecs.com.
Keep in mind DNS changeovers can take a while to propagate, and we're working to remove what is essentially a redirect at the moment.

I'll also be keeping an eye on this thread for issues (like the two already mentioned) to see what we can do.

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2020, 17:30:32 »
I can't get the cookie permissions dialog to close though
Is it reloading on every page, or just not going away when you click Accept?

CDT Special Agent #343

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2020, 18:14:11 »
Is it reloading on every page, or just not going away when you click Accept?

I don't see an Accept button. It shows on every page with the text, two options and a Close control that doesn't do anything.

No button to accept the cookie settings.

When I do a search I can't find the text 'Accept' on the page at all so its not even that it is hidden somehow

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2020, 18:18:39 »
It also looks like allof the old URLs are broken. Was there no way to add a mod rewrite setting in Apache to rewrite the old URLs?

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2020, 19:14:37 »
I don't see an Accept button. It shows on every page with the text, two options and a Close control that doesn't do anything.

No button to accept the cookie settings.

When I do a search I can't find the text 'Accept' on the page at all so its not even that it is hidden somehow
Hmmm....I'll try to research that one.

It also looks like allof the old URLs are broken. Was there no way to add a mod rewrite setting in Apache to rewrite the old URLs?
Not quite sure what you mean by the old URLs?  This new site was built from the ground up in WordPress.

CDT Special Agent #343

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2020, 19:17:57 »
 :bow:
 :thumbsup:

... and a ton of others!

Need any help with some data entry/grunt work?  I find myself with a little more free time than I'd like these days.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2020, 19:21:34 »
Looks as if there are some issues on mobile with elements overlapping. This screenshot is from my iPad in landscape mode
I haven't been able to repeat this one yet.  My mobile device has all the Unit logos in one column.  Which device are you viewing the site in?

Thanks!

CDT Special Agent #343

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2020, 19:45:51 »
It loaded smoothly for me. Everything was zippy and responsive. Huzzah!

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2020, 19:54:04 »
Not quite sure what you mean by the old URLs?  This new site was built from the ground up in WordPress.

The old website. If anyone had any old URLs then they are currently all 404.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2020, 19:55:06 »
I haven't been able to repeat this one yet.  My mobile device has all the Unit logos in one column.  Which device are you viewing the site in?

An iPad Pro 10.5"

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 02 December 2020, 20:02:53 »
Yay!

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2020, 20:05:47 »
The old website. If anyone had any old URLs then they are currently all 404.
I'm following you now.  No, sorry, we literally had to start over from scratch due to the code the previous version was written in; we just couldn't find any resources that could work in that language.  I really wish we had been able to do a conversion. 

An iPad Pro 10.5"
Roger that.  I should have access to something similar.  Will give it a go.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 21:07:15 by 00Dawg »

CDT Special Agent #343

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2020, 20:28:13 »
Looks good on my phone!  :thumbsup: 

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: 02 December 2020, 21:01:45 »
Looks good on my phone!  :thumbsup:

Speaking of which. On my iPhone the spacing between elements in the faction menu and the individual faction elements are such that it is difficult to see what label is attached to what image

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: 02 December 2020, 21:02:50 »

Roger that.  I should have access to something similar.  Will give it a go.  Thanks!

What browser are you using? The dev tools in Firefox and Chrome will let you set the viewport size when viewing a page

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #20 on: 02 December 2020, 21:39:54 »
Great job! The new site loads easily, looks good on the phone, and those new pages about standard House paint schemes is really useful!! However, the link to  standard Free Worlds Schemes (if there is such a thing, then purple? - Free Worlds Guards, Marik Militia?) is broken.

S.gage
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #21 on: 02 December 2020, 21:42:24 »
The site looks amazing!  :thumbsup:

One constructive criticism though... the suggested colors for the House color pages (and as the above poster mentioned, the Marik one is broken) are citing the old, out-of-print Citadel paint colors instead of their new shades. Someone looking for Red Gore or Blood Red at the Citadel rack is going to be a mite confused...

RabidFox

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 02 December 2020, 21:46:36 »
I'm following you now.  No, sorry, we literally had to start over from scratch due to the code the previous version was written in; we just couldn't find any resources that could work in that language.  I really wish we had been able to do a conversion.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the old site written in?

The site looks great, much more responsive than the older one.

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #23 on: 02 December 2020, 21:49:04 »

One constructive criticism though... the suggested colors for the House color pages (and as the above poster mentioned, the Marik one is broken) are citing the old, out-of-print Citadel paint colors instead of their new shades. Someone looking for Red Gore or Blood Red at the Citadel rack is going to be a mite confused...

Yeah, I did not think about that, since I am still using those colors lol
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 02 December 2020, 23:29:15 »

Thanks!

My iPhone had all the categories separated, but on my iPad they overlap a small amount as well
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #25 on: 03 December 2020, 01:41:04 »
Well, this is a pleasant surprise.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 03 December 2020, 04:49:08 »

And to add to this, since several of the YouTube Tutorials are already using Citadels Contrast Paint range, I would appreciate if you could add such reccomended shades for the house colors too

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #27 on: 03 December 2020, 05:51:00 »
There are a lot of conversion tables conspiring the range of several manufacturers. Maybe use those for an ease to convert scheme? It might be a disclaimer in the paint guides like "These miniatures were painted and reference the 200 Citadel Paints  If you are using other paint ranges you can find a conversion to your paints in this link".

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #28 on: 03 December 2020, 06:28:24 »
Excellent work, the old site was the internet explorer of battletech and if you opened an image, you'd still be opening it now :s But this one is WAY better laid out and far far faster! Great work on this!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #29 on: 03 December 2020, 06:43:46 »
One thing I will say, is that when I opened it on Chrome I got a security certificate warning, I assume that's still being processed?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register