Author Topic: Dropship for a nova  (Read 2057 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
Dropship for a nova
« on: 01 December 2019, 18:45:57 »
What dropships would the clans use for transporting a nova or binary nova?  Or would the clans transport the mechs and elementals separately? 

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Re: Dropship for a nova
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2019, 20:16:04 »
I'd go with a modified Lion or Union-C if it's an independent unit. Otherwise, I'd presume the 'Mechs and Elementals would get separate transports. A Trinary Supernova would be perfect for a Union-C and a Sassanid.

The hypothetical Lion Supernova would replace the infantry space on a Lion Clan with space for fifty Elementals. However, fluff states the Clans hand engineering difficulties in setting up a Lion to carry battle armor, but it's not a mandatory requirement for your games. A Union-C would replace five 'Mechs with space for two stars of BattleArmor.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2019, 01:05:42 »
No RS for them but the Horses were fluffed to use a lot of converted mech carriers for their supernovas.

Union-C is perfect for a Binary-Nova w/ extra Cargo space.

Overlord-C will nicely hold a pair of Trinary-Novas with plenty of Cargo added.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2019, 06:36:18 »
Why do you need bays for battle armor? Just right some bunks in the cargo bay. It is not like you will be combat dropping them.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2019, 07:49:15 »
What dropships would the clans use for transporting a nova or binary nova?  Or would the clans transport the mechs and elementals separately?
I'd use a standard Union if there are any left for the Binary Nova. For a Nova, a modified Broadsword, perhaps.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2019, 11:34:45 »
Ideally your a Hell's Horses who loads their Novas on old SL Fortresses or the new Outposts.  Or maybe a old SL Triumph . . . (have to wonder how many of those the Invaders captured . . . and did they sell/trade them to the Horses?)

IIRC we do get, just like the IS Unions & Overlords, notes that they have variants that mix mechs & BA.  With the Wolves' frontline clusters in WCSB having a listing of each cluster's transport, I will have to check it when I get home to see what they list for the Supernova heavy clusters.  I mean a Supernova Trinary spread between a variant Union C and a Broadsword is going to be pretty flexible with the ability to sustain operations a bit longer (cargo!) than a regular mech trinary on a standard Union-C.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2019, 01:47:15 »
Lion-C or -WD

Both work...

Mech carrier and BA suits in cold storage, plenty of Infantry spaces for 50 troopers to hold up, especially the -WD... heck you have enough space for a Point of Heavy BMR or two... and a Point of basic Flatbed trucks to carry cargo anywhere. There's even enough room for a single Point of standard Foot Infantry armed with Class 2 Divisor Armor and Mauser-IICs for ship defense, and techs too!

Just add a Carrier to this unit and your set to raid, just don't forget to assign an Odyssey jumper...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016