Author Topic: Jan Releases?  (Read 9546 times)

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
Re: Jan Releases?
« Reply #30 on: 09 February 2014, 10:38:31 »
The art looks like a very narrow right torso or the gun being mounted on that torso like the mini. The art looks like the gun is mounted right where the "vent" is on the left torso.

The sculptor also had the concept art of the Hollander III with a different angle that showed how the gun was placed on the torso.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: 09 February 2014, 10:40:43 »
I find it funny that with all the complaining about wanting to distance themselves from the MWDA line...TPTB sure keep using the MWDA mech as templates for the 3145 miniatures...which are clearly different than the 3145 art. Look at the differences between the images for the Atlas III and the art in TRO:3145 Federated Suns.

Its been combining aspects from both the MWDA Mini and the new art. Some use the art as the main reference and other use a combination of both the new art and MWDA mini. The MWDA minis are also used for reference for sides that can not be seen in the new art.

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: 09 February 2014, 12:36:07 »
Its been combining aspects from both the MWDA Mini and the new art. Some use the art as the main reference and other use a combination of both the new art and MWDA mini. The MWDA minis are also used for reference for sides that can not be seen in the new art.

Understandable, but compared to the actual art, the miniature looks off. Maybe I'm alone on this, or even wrong, but if this is the miniatures game of Battletech created by TPTB...I think the miniatures should be sculpted to the art in the TRO's...not the MWDA figures.

It's very easy to contact most artists to ask for suggestions & help on a miniature when referencing their art...but I guess it is easier to take the other route & use a figure that is already available, no matter how far off the art it is. Just wish there was some clear definition on what they can & cannot use. So far, minis that have been created from the MWDA figures don't seem to be well received.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 09 February 2014, 14:17:09 »
That Atlas III is wicked!
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #34 on: 09 February 2014, 14:23:47 »
Understandable, but compared to the actual art, the miniature looks off. Maybe I'm alone on this, or even wrong, but if this is the miniatures game of Battletech created by TPTB...I think the miniatures should be sculpted to the art in the TRO's...not the MWDA figures.

It's very easy to contact most artists to ask for suggestions & help on a miniature when referencing their art...but I guess it is easier to take the other route & use a figure that is already available, no matter how far off the art it is. Just wish there was some clear definition on what they can & cannot use. So far, minis that have been created from the MWDA figures don't seem to be well received.

The art was supposed to come from the MWDA miniatures. And quite frankly had to come from said minis since the art was not available at the time of start of the sculpting process. The only exceptions that I can think of from this batch was the Hollander III which had the original concept art from Brent. It is only the March release that yields minis that did not have prior miniatures or art from outside the TROs.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 09 February 2014, 14:36:09 »
...quite frankly had to come from said minis since the art was not available at the time of start of the sculpting process...

If correct, that makes more sense as to why certain ones look the way they do with exception to a few (i.e. Shen Yi's missile launchers)

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #36 on: 09 February 2014, 18:36:26 »
The Shen Yi definitely came from the art. Unfortunately.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 09 February 2014, 20:23:02 »
The Shen Yi definitely came from the art. Unfortunately.

It was confirmed previously when people were upset about the difference between the miniatures missile launchers and the ones shown in the TRO art that the MWDA figure was used as a reference and not the TRO art.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #38 on: 09 February 2014, 20:53:00 »
The rest of the torso begs to differ but that is a horse that is long dead and beaten.

Personally I'm looking forward to most of these minis. The Hollander III doesn't appeal to be but I don't even own a regular Hollander. The Atlas, Cizin, and Wulfen look fantastic. I can't wait to get them in and work on them.

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 09 February 2014, 20:58:23 »
The Marauder and Atlas III look great!