Author Topic: Trying MWO for the first time!  (Read 1715 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Trying MWO for the first time!
« on: 02 May 2018, 21:50:01 »
I’m in the process of downloading MWO...after I saw that Blood Asp, I couldn’t stay away any longer! I’m excited to try it, and hopefully my aging brain can handle the learning curve.

What do you guys think of it, generally speaking? I’d like to hear some informed opinions from folks I know and trust.

Also, can I fight for House Liao? And what Clans do I have to work with?
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Trying MWO for the first time!
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2018, 22:09:30 »
Don't spend money on it out the door. Your first 25 matches will win you a boat-load of C-bills to spend on buying your first 'Mech while deciding if you want to stay or drop cash on the game.

Currently good Starter 'Mechs include the Hellbringer, Nova and Warhammer. I'm sure somebody could recommend otherwise.

Quick Play matches are factionless; you basically have a 12 on 12 brawl with both sides sporting Clan and IS 'Mechs. Faction play requires you to pick a faction; one of the Great Houses or one of the Invading Clans. Obviously, the Clans can only use Clan 'Mechs and the IS can only use IS 'Mechs. To be honest, Faction Play is a bit of a chore for a solo player, and works best if you're a member of a large group.

Even though I have the reflexes and hand-eye coordination of an arthritic slug, I seem to do decently, and I have fun with it as well. I mostly play quick play matches, but have done some Faction Play for events
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2018, 22:37:07 »
That’s exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for, sir. :)

I’m certain I’ll start with the Hellbringer. Tell me, what Clans are in the game? I’m assuming the original four from Revival?
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2018, 23:23:12 »
Currently you have the "invaders"; so Falcons, Bears, Wolves, Jaguars, Vipers, Cats and Sharks. But there are decals available for most if not all of the homeworld Clans so with a bit of work, you could pretend to be something else.

I'm no 100% expert, but the current recommended starting Hellbie build is something like 3 ER Medium Lasers and 2 Large Pulse Lasers (or heavy large lasers), AMS, ECM and maxed armour. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about it as being a great way to get started.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2018, 07:08:47 »
Also worth noting; there are Quick Play challenges on for all of May, so that's an easy way to earn some cheap cash and goodies

My name in gmae is Deadborder - feel free to add me if you jump in

Register