Author Topic: Color me confused about the utter lack of tie-ins.  (Read 2413 times)

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
Color me confused about the utter lack of tie-ins.
« on: 11 May 2018, 19:54:17 »
The HBS BattleTech game has been out for weeks, it's genuinely good, and it seems to be selling well.

Despite this, the only mention of the HBS game here appears to be a single short blurb on the welcome page, and the handful of threads in these forums.

The game was funded 2 years ago.  Where the frack are the product tie-ins, guys?  This is missed opportunity to bring in new players and a shameful example of poor marketing.

JasonYoungblood

• Recruit
Re: Color me confused about the utter lack of tie-ins.
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2018, 20:05:48 »
Yeah this surprised me too, but then I had to remember what a total cluster the licensing situation is with the property. Seems like a no brainer to have like a boxed set ready to go, but what seems to simple in theory can become nearly impossible in practice.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2018, 01:01:36 »
Don’t underestimate the reality that the board game is virtually run on baling wire, a handful of employees, a number more of contractors, and a near army of volunteers. If you assumed that the scale of BT publication is on the order of a mom and pop bookseller except with communication online by Slack, you wouldn’t be wrong.

There’s a few mentions and some favors traded, but substantial formal tie-ins are probably not in the cards. We have things like fiction and advising given to HBS while callouts, occasional board game demos, and use of the HBS branding design given to CGL. That’s what I’m aware of from publicly available information. Deeper integration and release timing is something could be done by studios with far more resources. Again it’s the baling wire thing. Each studio has to look after its own interest, developing product and releasing on its own schedule and can’t afford to wait for the other.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2018, 02:45:39 »
Still though... CGL has known about the game and its hype for a good long while now. BattleTech just gets treated like the red headed stepchild more often than not it seems. Game wont sell if people aren't hearing about it but can't pay out for ads etc without sales...  xp

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2018, 03:23:17 »
Isn't the HBS game a tie-in to the BT universe?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2018, 09:19:57 »
Still though... CGL has known about the game and its hype for a good long while now. BattleTech just gets treated like the red headed stepchild more often than not it seems. Game wont sell if people aren't hearing about it but can't pay out for ads etc without sales...  xp

Again, dev time is dev time. Our New Dear Leader has done a solid by getting back to sustainable basics. Unfortunately, that shift came late in asynchronous development between two different companies, so tie-in opportunities are reduced.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that the result you guys are envisioning is very difficult for a number of reasons and encompasses greater risk and less reward than you think (if you don’t think things can’t go wrong, I have a number of crappy video game timed releases to sell you). That risk compounds when you run a small business with few resources. It really is better long term to do what the two companies are doing: build foundations for better future business and reputation. Let crossover interest happen organically.

I mean, maybe I would invest in a new sell-sheet, but I’m not going to rush box set proofs, pay extra money to move ahead in the production queue in Bangkok or wherever the printer is, or airlift early copies to meet HBS’ production schedule. And if I’m HBS I’m sure as hell not going to sit on the game longer than I have to so I can coordinate with CGL. With developer salaries and healthcare plans, that thing goes on a release schedule the minute my leads say “ship it”.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2018, 10:23:58 »
Again, dev time is dev time. Our New Dear Leader has done a solid by getting back to sustainable basics. Unfortunately, that shift came late in asynchronous development between two different companies, so tie-in opportunities are reduced.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that the result you guys are envisioning is very difficult for a number of reasons and encompasses greater risk and less reward than you think (if you don’t think things can’t go wrong, I have a number of crappy video game timed releases to sell you). That risk compounds when you run a small business with few resources. It really is better long term to do what the two companies are doing: build foundations for better future business and reputation. Let crossover interest happen organically.

I mean, maybe I would invest in a new sell-sheet, but I’m not going to rush box set proofs, pay extra money to move ahead in the production queue in Bangkok or wherever the printer is, or airlift early copies to meet HBS’ production schedule. And if I’m HBS I’m sure as hell not going to sit on the game longer than I have to so I can coordinate with CGL. With developer salaries and healthcare plans, that thing goes on a release schedule the minute my leads say “ship it”.
agree, note I will say it would be better if, CGL had some product that was ready in time to coordinate but lets face it they are on such a shoe string budget that they are having trouble (effectively can't) keep the core materials in stock, such as an intro boxed set, and some of the core rule books.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 18:20:31 »
agree, note I will say it would be better if, CGL had some product that was ready in time to coordinate but lets face it they are on such a shoe string budget that they are having trouble (effectively can't) keep the core materials in stock, such as an intro boxed set, and some of the core rule books.

Let me correct that statement somewhat.  The intro box set was a large print run. It takes lots of $$$$ and about 6 months to produce (if it is a reprint), which is tied up until you sell through enough of them. The sales velocity was not high enough to justify the opportunity cost of the $$ being used elsewhere.

The new box sets are there result of good feedback from stores and players and are Mich better as a product than the last box.  But that takes time and $$, so timing plays a role.

Add to that, why produce new rulebook prints with low velocity unless you can get them attached to something like a new box. It just ties up money.

This is why the boxes, and rulebook reprints are all coming within a short span of each other. Synergy.

Now look outside battletech for a second. Dragonfire has launched from cgl last year, and has been a success (first print run sold out already, which is great velocity). That was a 2 year dev project for cgl, and tied up a lot of cash for the print run. It is now freed up.

To put in perspective what I have been hearing from Brent, the new line developer for bt: quality over quantity. Make awesome products, that tie in well together. Rather than shoving stuff out the door fast, and lowering quality for quantity (whether it be page count or plastic figures)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Register