Author Topic: Raven Alliance: Enemy Of Your Enemy (And Still Your Enemy!)  (Read 179026 times)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Raven Alliance: Enemy Of Your Enemy (And Still Your Enemy!)
« Reply #930 on: 08 May 2014, 15:49:39 »
Where New Samarkand is concerned, it's like seizing Arakis.  You'll spend the rest of your life defending it.  Better to waste it and let the Dragon spend precious resources rebuilding it.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #931 on: 13 May 2014, 18:06:48 »
So true, but so worth it.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #932 on: 30 May 2014, 10:19:36 »
Caw. It's been a while for me here, Been solid on my MWO playing and I get my Clan Mechs with Tuesday's patch. The only downside is that I won't be rocking the CSR flag meaning I'll still be flying the CC one.

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #933 on: 07 June 2014, 10:10:19 »
So, I was wrong on which day that came out on :P 10 days left from today.

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #934 on: 08 June 2014, 05:57:11 »
Hello Ravens, I've got a short fan-fic for you:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,39838.msg920460.html#msg920460

Tell me what you think and feel free to use it as a setting on any future games of yours.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #935 on: 09 June 2014, 11:06:16 »
So I finally had a moment to check it out. While I endorse Bear / Raven cooperation, the Ravens have proven via their relationship with the alliance that the are still not willing to foster deep connections with others, the joint operations of the RA are the closest thing to integration the Ravens have committed to with the alliance and despite our good relations with the Bears in the past, I feel that while we can agree to a joint intelligence sharing program, it would not include the in depth sharing of assets you describe.

Fatebringer

• Major
« Reply #936 on: 09 June 2014, 11:07:44 »
But like Foxx said, if it were straight up non-cannon stuff, I'd at least give this more consideration due to my belief that we should work closer together. Another thing is that we do not appear to have such a wide gap with the DC like we used to. We (DC / RA) seem to share a focused concern of the Fed Suns in this time period.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #937 on: 09 June 2014, 13:03:45 »
rumours of my death have been slightly exaggerated
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #938 on: 09 June 2014, 15:20:58 »
Somehow, I missed that rumor.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #939 on: 10 June 2014, 19:09:53 »
good thing you are not with The Watch
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #940 on: 11 June 2014, 18:22:34 »
Or if he is, he's offering a clever misdirection ;)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #941 on: 12 June 2014, 15:20:23 »
Now you know too much.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #942 on: 19 June 2014, 14:12:24 »
Flowers.  Flowers for the Ravens. :)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #943 on: 04 July 2014, 11:15:11 »
This is going to possibly be the stupidest question in the history of this forum.  In fact, I really can't think too much of a logical basis for this question.  But I figured you Ravens would be the ones to ask.

Does the Outworlds Alliance feel like Space Canada to anybody else?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #944 on: 04 July 2014, 11:29:43 »
This is going to possibly be the stupidest question in the history of this forum.  In fact, I really can't think too much of a logical basis for this question.  But I figured you Ravens would be the ones to ask.

Does the Outworlds Alliance feel like Space Canada to anybody else?

No, it does not.  I speak with authority, for I am Canadian.

I'd always figured that if there were a 'Space Canada' within Battletech it would have been the Taurian Concordat.

Why do you think this, out of curiosity?
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #945 on: 04 July 2014, 11:37:05 »
No, it does not.  I speak with authority, for I am Canadian.

I'd always figured that if there were a 'Space Canada' within Battletech it would have been the Taurian Concordat.

Why do you think this, out of curiosity?

In all honesty?  I have no idea.  I mean, I've even BEEN to Canada and it's nothing like I picture what the OWA is like (well, except for the more cosmopolitan planets).  Maybe it's the whole "We're generally peaceful unless we absolutely have to be" vibe.  Maybe it's the whole ton of unspoiled natural habitat worlds they had going on for a while.  I dunno, weird thing that popped into my head while going through FM:  Major Periphery States.

(Being someone who grew up in the American South, I kinda picture the TC as either Space US College Campus or Space American South, depending on what kinda mood they're in.  But in their happier times I could kinda see Space Canada.)
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #946 on: 04 July 2014, 11:41:22 »
Hehehe, don't mistake politeness for peaceful ;)

Still, it's an interesting thought.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #947 on: 04 July 2014, 12:29:00 »
I don't see it.

When I think Outworlds Alliance, I think Space Farmers. Mostly rural worlds with hardy farming 'folk. With some populations of Space Amish.

I live in a part of the rural south, USA, in a slightly more modern-developed county. But if you drive 10-20 minutes in any direction, you hit farm country, the thick accent, southern food drenched in butter and lots of cows and fields. Although the physical distance between me and that sub-culture can be equated as a short drive, it feels like stepping into another world when you cross that boundary. Suddenly high-speed internet connection is a new thing (or just not available), many homes are plugged into well-water, trucks have gun racks and many roads are dirt or gravel.

The people on my side of the line make fun of the rednecks, the unhealthy food and the cow dung. The people on the other side of that line make fun of the "city folk". I technically don't even live in a city..... but we have suburbs, major big box stores, shopping malls and universities, so we're "big city".

Some of those individuals are highly intelligent, many have served in the military and traveled the world, and then they returned to the peace and quiet of the small rural county that is anchored by old farms, and grazing fields and barns that look like they haven't changed in 40 years.

If memory serves, I saw a reference in FM: Major Periphery States that made just that kind of comparison. The people living in the rural areas look down at the "city folk" and their high-falluting interests in things like fashion and technology.

So I feel like I live in the Outworlds Alliance, personally.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2014, 12:35:17 by Alan Grant »

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #948 on: 04 July 2014, 13:27:31 »
I don't see it.

When I think Outworlds Alliance, I think Space Farmers. Mostly rural worlds with hardy farming 'folk. With some populations of Space Amish.

I live in a part of the rural south, USA, in a slightly more modern-developed county. But if you drive 10-20 minutes in any direction, you hit farm country, the thick accent, southern food drenched in butter and lots of cows and fields. Although the physical distance between me and that sub-culture can be equated as a short drive, it feels like stepping into another world when you cross that boundary. Suddenly high-speed internet connection is a new thing (or just not available), many homes are plugged into well-water, trucks have gun racks and many roads are dirt or gravel.

The people on my side of the line make fun of the rednecks, the unhealthy food and the cow dung. The people on the other side of that line make fun of the "city folk". I technically don't even live in a city..... but we have suburbs, major big box stores, shopping malls and universities, so we're "big city".

Some of those individuals are highly intelligent, many have served in the military and traveled the world, and then they returned to the peace and quiet of the small rural county that is anchored by old farms, and grazing fields and barns that look like they haven't changed in 40 years.

If memory serves, I saw a reference in FM: Major Periphery States that made just that kind of comparison. The people living in the rural areas look down at the "city folk" and their high-falluting interests in things like fashion and technology.

So I feel like I live in the Outworlds Alliance, personally.

Yeah, I can kinda see that, now that you mention it.  I grew up in Central Virginia, just East of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and live in Oklahoma currently, so I've kinda seen the sorta thing you're talking about.  Actually, one of my favorite things in FM: MPS is when they interview an Outworlder who is mocking the idea of a restaurant.

Again, I'm not sure why Space Canada jumped into my head when I was reading it, it just sorta did.  But I think you may be right that Space Rural South may be a better description.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #949 on: 05 July 2014, 20:24:20 »
I live in the Outworlds Alliance, it's called Indianapolis, Indiana.

The " Who's there? " state.

TT O:-)
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #950 on: 05 July 2014, 21:40:38 »
Space Dayton, Ohio, for the industrialized parts of the RA  ;)
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #951 on: 06 July 2014, 07:33:19 »
I live in the Outworlds Alliance, it's called Indianapolis, Indiana.

The " Who's there? " state.

TT O:-)
Is that the official motto?  And what is that supposed to mean?

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #952 on: 15 August 2014, 02:39:46 »
Where's all the white-birds with the Warship'goodness,didnt think I was away that long?We are "still" a Faction,,,aff?
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #953 on: 15 August 2014, 12:13:41 »
Where's all the white-birds with the Warship'goodness,didnt think I was away that long?We are "still" a Faction,,,aff?

Aff.  I've been trying to think of new things to discuss.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #954 on: 15 August 2014, 14:33:42 »
Space Dayton, Ohio, for the industrialized parts of the RA  ;)

Hmm, how about just "Ohio". Industrialized areas and the nations largest population of Amish of the wholly terrestrial variety. Plus we'll pretend Wright-Pat covers the ASF angle.  ^-^

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #955 on: 15 August 2014, 15:01:56 »
Whats the difference between rebuilding the Outworlds or Ohio,really?It would cost tons and we'd still find resistance.But then again would taking Ohio count as "taking terra"?Thus making us the Il-Clan?

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #956 on: 16 August 2014, 10:38:37 »
Just stopping by to say hello to my former Raveny brothers and sisters. Don't go making plans regarding Terra, please.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #957 on: 16 August 2014, 11:57:23 »
Then why did the RotS put up a "for sale' sign on the area formally known as "Ohio"?

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #958 on: 16 August 2014, 12:32:58 »
Not for anyone to move in, but ti take away.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #959 on: 16 August 2014, 15:19:20 »
Ohhhhhh,,,if that's the case we'll leave it to,,,,,,Shark/Foxes.