Author Topic: Miniature of the Fortnight #51: Shogun  (Read 4105 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Miniature of the Fortnight #51: Shogun
« on: 12 September 2018, 22:54:04 »
Why do Wolf's Dragoons get the interesting toys?  We won't answer that here but we'll cover one of their toys, the Shogun.  While it was first introduced in the Wolf's Dragoons sourcebook, I'm sure many of us first saw it in Technical Readout: 3050.  To learn more about using it in game, please see its 'Mech of the Week article.

The art for the Shogun hasn't changed much over the years.  Both minis for it take after the original art for the SHG-2E (or SHG-2F, they look the same):
  • The single metal sculpt was released by Ral Partha (and still sold by Iron Wind Metals) as 20-892.
  • Catalyst's plastic sculpt, from the Fire Lance Pack, is based on the metal sculpt.
(The inclusion of the Shogun in that pack always struck me as a little weird but it's apparently responsible for the mention of the Shogun in the New Tech, New Upgrades section of TRO 3150.)

If you have any of these painted (extra credit those plausibly not in Dragoons colors), please share!  We'd love to see them!

Thank you for reading and a special thank you to those of you who post.

Our next two fortnights will be:
  • Clan (9/24): Marauder IIC
  • Inner Sphere (10/8): JagerMech and JagerMech III

Luciora

• Major
Re: Miniature of the Fortnight #51: Shogun
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2018, 00:40:26 »
Shogun 2E, Shogun 2H and the Wannamaker Shogun Trisha

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2018, 00:42:53 »
WiP Shogun C, kitbashed from an Orochi base, Salamander arms, King Crab feet, Warhammer IIc and Jenner IIc missile pods.  Also a dash of PP Warhammer upper arms.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2018, 01:22:42 by Luciora »

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2018, 01:08:27 »
I have two plastic Shoguns.  First an attempt at Dragoons scheme from four years ago when I came back to painting.  The second one is from my Illician Lancers battalion.  No one is quite sure how they ended up with one... ;)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2018, 04:46:04 »
Wolf's Dragoons, but my interpretation of the Alpha Regiment paint scheme.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2018, 08:54:31 »
So far i only have a Shogun for my secondline Star Adder cluster of the Tau Galaxy.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2018, 09:51:49 »
WiP Shogun C, kitbashed from an Orochi base, Salamander arms, King Crab feet, Warhammer IIc and Jenner IIc missile pods.  Also a dash of PP Warhammer upper arms.

:o ... Dude! Way to hit it outta the part on originality! That is a fantastic kit-bash. I can't wait to see it painted. 

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2018, 10:55:12 »
Anyone else feel that we'll see more Shoguns here than the Dragoons brought with them to the Inner Sphere?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2018, 21:04:18 »
Anyone else feel that we'll see more Shoguns here than the Dragoons brought with them to the Inner Sphere?
well the Shark-foxes are building new ones in the 3100's for the mercenary market. the -3E model.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2018, 22:10:45 »
I'm considering duplicating it again to make a 2E, and thanks!

:o ... Dude! Way to hit it outta the part on originality! That is a fantastic kit-bash. I can't wait to see it painted.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2018, 08:11:21 »
I'm considering duplicating it again to make a 2E, and thanks!

Two things.

1) I'll back other comments. That thing is fantastic and I'm considering making my own now. Bravo!

2) I realized, looking through this thread, that the Shogun may hold an unusual distinction in that there's more miniatures of it floating around gamers' shelves than there are actual Shoguns in the game universe. That makes me smile.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2018, 11:06:01 »
My humble offerings - a Shogun C, and Shogun 2F, in Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon colours.

It's a great mini to paint; just wish there were more reasons to deploy them ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2018, 19:38:22 »

Awesome’!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2018, 13:37:34 »

Hmmmm I need more missile pods

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2018, 15:04:07 »
I have one more planned, to represent either another H or E.  Side torsos will differ since it will only have the single SRMs instead of the twins.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #15 on: 28 September 2018, 15:08:30 »

VERY nicely done! I've always been a fan of the Shogun, but this beautiful beastie takes it up a notch! 8)

Register