Author Topic: Battletech Kickstarter thread part deux  (Read 54977 times)

solmanian

• Captain
Re: Battletech Kickstarter thread part deux
« Reply #60 on: 11 May 2017, 08:36:28 »
tbh i rather wait extra few weeks or months to get a quality product
with bt games these days its a must to make sure it is done with as little bugs as possible since there really had not been a stand alone bt game in about 20 years...
for me now its just a matter of wait that game itself comes out if delayed with better than most stuff being released quality wise.
I'm with you. Still nibbling on their last Shadowrun game, no hurry, just make it
good. Though, a long development cycle can also be detrimental, as more of the limited budget goes to logistic neccessities (salaries, maintenance, etc) than to the game. More than one game with great potential was lost to that abyss, sometimes taking a promising studio with it. HBS advantage and the source of their reliability, is their cautious stance on realistic goals. It may mean their games might never shine (they'll never commit to make the next Skyrim), but they usually have their own brand of brilliance. I prefer Shadowrun by far over Xcom that obviously inspired much of it (and has better graphics, but lacks depth); too bad it's missing the procedural generated missions... and now I'm wondering if there's some modding wizardry to make shadowrun mod for Xcom.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #61 on: 11 May 2017, 16:05:28 »
Just because people aren't reposting stuff here doesn't mean there isn't news and progress being provided elsewhere. They held another Dev Q&A on May 10 - offline copy here: https://youtu.be/Lcl4FdGHrN4

Mostly focused on the audio side, music and sound effects, but they indicated they are getting closer to beta and will have another Kickstarter delivered update with some multiplayer footage this week.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #62 on: 11 May 2017, 16:19:33 »
Yeah, I was just thinking that. They've been posting plenty of updates, and the folks I know on the videogaming side of things think that HBS has been just fine with its communications. This is a good reminder to people to never rely on a single source for their news, especially a tertiary source like a web forum.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #63 on: 11 May 2017, 16:24:11 »
Did a quick look through their kickstarter updates.  They've been silent for longer stretches then this so this bit of silence isn't really a reason to be concerned.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 11 May 2017, 19:39:29 »
Just because people aren't reposting stuff here doesn't mean there isn't news and progress being provided elsewhere. They held another Dev Q&A on May 10 - offline copy here: https://youtu.be/Lcl4FdGHrN4

Mostly focused on the audio side, music and sound effects, but they indicated they are getting closer to beta and will have another Kickstarter delivered update with some multiplayer footage this week.
I have soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much time to troll the internet and check 5 places for news.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #65 on: 11 May 2017, 22:53:06 »
I assume sarcasm is meant there but still I think it important to state that the point of relying on a web forum that has no formal affiliation with the company that is actually making the game is not a good plan for staying up to date on said game still stands.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2017, 02:04:09 by monbvol »

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #66 on: 12 May 2017, 00:54:12 »
FWIW, a friend of a friend works at HBS and I've been informed recently (a couple weeks ago) that they're currently hunkered down cracking the game out to get it ready for Beta; take that for whatever it's worth.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #67 on: 12 May 2017, 04:04:12 »
Kickstarter update - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1883078

Backer Beta on track for June 1st 2017

New Teaser Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyoBwysAWVo

Multiplayer Gameplay Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI&feature=youtu.be

HBS is partnering with Paradox Interactive to publish the game

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 12 May 2017, 07:58:34 »
Something like this partnership was almost inevitable. HBS make high quality games, but funding stops them from realizing their full potential. Paradox games have mostly been ok, i.e. reliable and mediocre but rarely terrible, combining with HBS could catapult both companies; allowing them to create bigger and better games, as long as neither side tries to dominate the other like EA who wants to make every franchise into an always online MP/MMO Charlie-foxtrot, even those that have no business being one.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 12 May 2017, 08:13:09 »
the beta will start on first of june according to the new update. ima be in. who else will be? will you guys play more single or multiplayer? what other thoughts do you have on this?

i can tell you mine: i am... torn after seeing the clip. they seem to have changed many core mechanics. (heats, pilot skills, "stability", crits) i hope, this is still battletech (and not MWO-tech). and i am a little bit disappointed in the animations. the seemingly dont have limbs flying off etc

please tell me your thought, guys.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #70 on: 12 May 2017, 08:40:40 »

I played the build HBS had at GenCon last summer. It felt like BattleTech. It wasn't a 1:1 port of the rules (thankfully), but I still felt like I was playing BattleTech.

To give you a specific example: my handler was taking care of getting the booth set up for the day, as I was playing the game prior to the Hall opening. He would drop by every 2-3 minutes to make sure everything was going well, which it was. I was setting up some shots from my Marauder when he noted that I had shut down one of my PPCs. "Oh, I see you managed to shut off your PPC. Well, if you do this you can..." "Check my heat scale, please." "Oh! Never mind then, you seem to have a handle on this."
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 12 May 2017, 09:19:50 »
I generally play SP 99% of the time; I just like to do my own thing at my own pace. If the Beta is MP-only, I'll probably won't have much to do there, since I'm all about the story, which is why I'm still playing SR:HK...

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #72 on: 12 May 2017, 10:09:13 »

Looks brilliant to me. While I've played Battletech since '92, I've never understood why the rule set has always basically remained stagnant. I love that HBS's seems to have made many smart decisions while evolving the core mechanics into something that both feels relevant, and yet still hails back to what I love about the original.

That said; there are a few things that aren't perfect. I'm not a fan of the mechs torso twisting, and tapping their feet while waiting for you to make a conscience tactical decision. Having the mechs move about in this fashion suggests that time is elapsing while you're thinking. As if all your mechwarriors are sitting in their cockpits saying "hey stupid-- hurry up and make the call!" I also don't like some of the sound effects/animations for weapons fire. Minor nitpicks, but-- still there. Lastly; the greasy gritty, almost cobbled together feel of the universe in 3025 isn't present. At least not in what we've been shown to this point. This doesn't "feel" like the love child of an 80's Mad Max film and Frank Herbert's DUNE like the original so very much did. And, to me this is a problem. Especially moving forward to other eras (assuming this happens down the road at some point).

Still, don't get me wrong. I'm highly pumped for this. Also, I think partnering with Paradox was brilliantly played. In my mind; you couldn't aske for a better partner. Can't wait!!  {>{>   

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 12 May 2017, 10:20:46 »
I can't wait to punch an Atlas in the face.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 12 May 2017, 10:38:31 »
See, updates like that I'm willing to wait for.  Quality over quantity.

I'm mainly looking forward to the single player game.  Multiplayer depends on how easy it is to just hop in and get a game. 
« Last Edit: 12 May 2017, 10:40:02 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #75 on: 12 May 2017, 11:13:35 »
the beta will start on first of june according to the new update. ima be in. who else will be? will you guys play more single or multiplayer? what other thoughts do you have on this?

i can tell you mine: i am... torn after seeing the clip. they seem to have changed many core mechanics. (heats, pilot skills, "stability", crits) i hope, this is still battletech (and not MWO-tech). and i am a little bit disappointed in the animations. the seemingly dont have limbs flying off etc

Played the alpha twice.

Once at gen Con, the second a MECH CON , same scenario, but different mechs. Second time through, lost all my atlas's weapons in the first encounter without ever getting a shot off (and this was still knowing where the enemy would appear from), but never lost the atlas. He lumbered through to the drop point to be picked up.

Is it Battletech....Hell Yeah!

I am anxiously awaiting the game, and I WILL be a part of the BETA
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

ssfsx17

• Corporal
« Reply #76 on: 12 May 2017, 11:42:23 »
Paradox is probably the best publisher that a BattleTech game can hope for.

The only other publisher who could be trusted to let the gameplay go full BattleTech is Matrix Games / Slitherine. And MG/Slitherine is... considerably more niche.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #77 on: 12 May 2017, 12:18:38 »
I.wonder if someone will need to host a server to be able to use the mulmultipla Function part.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #78 on: 12 May 2017, 13:07:42 »
Gotta say, loved watching the video. Soo cool. The way the trees swayed when the missiles rushed in, the concepts of Braced and Enspired, Overheating causing internal damage as well/instead of penalties to movement and ti-hit rolls.

*checks calendar*

Durn it! Twenty Days till BETA  [madflame] :Jumpy: [madflame]

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #79 on: 12 May 2017, 13:10:29 »
Looks sufficiently Battletech to me.

I wonder how many variants they have of the various models they have in so far.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 12 May 2017, 13:17:41 »
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #81 on: 12 May 2017, 16:29:14 »
Personally I'm really excited about the new partnership with Paradox. They are the best publishers of PC strategy games after all. I think this will make the game even stronger.

Now can't wait till June!!!!  [drool] [drool]

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Timaeus

• Recruit
« Reply #82 on: 13 May 2017, 00:07:54 »
Looks sufficiently Battletech to me.

I wonder how many variants they have of the various models they have in so far.

38 confirmed base models + variants to ~50 total variants.

Lord greystroke

• Sergeant
« Reply #83 on: 13 May 2017, 18:28:15 »
more footage

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/14270830

not sure I am sold on the heat mechanics but I suppose it could work but for the mechs your meant to ride the scale on seems like it could be harsh 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #84 on: 13 May 2017, 22:48:28 »
more footage

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/14270830

not sure I am sold on the heat mechanics but I suppose it could work but for the mechs your meant to ride the scale on seems like it could be harsh
There issues with Twitch.  Its keeps saying you need time machine to  watch it.  I prefer youtube, at least they keep the video longer,.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #85 on: 14 May 2017, 00:03:44 »
The game now has entries on both GOG and Steam

https://www.gog.com/game/battletech

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BattleTech/

Steam page is most notable as it lists the minimum and recommended system specs for those who've expressed concerns:

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Pentium Core i3 3210 3.20GHz or AMD FX 4300 3.8GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 660 GTX or AMD Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 15 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Pentium Core i5 3450 3.10GHz or AMD FX 6300 3.5GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 or AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 15 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

They haven't been added to on Can You Run It yet, but expect this entry to be populated soon - https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/battletech/14513

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #86 on: 14 May 2017, 00:49:43 »
You know, I find myself kinda wishing that this has the Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries soundtrack.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #87 on: 14 May 2017, 11:24:30 »
They haven't been added to on Can You Run It yet, but expect this entry to be populated soon - https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/battletech/14513

Yep, just a place holder...as it is my one stop checking!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #88 on: 14 May 2017, 16:23:48 »
Wish Gog.com was one options when kickstarter got going. 

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #89 on: 14 May 2017, 16:53:13 »
It was when I backed.

Register