Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Hourglass Sanitarium (1973) Old Polish movie from the early 1970s. It's a surreal fantasy about a man who visits his dying father in some kind of strange asylum where time is all wonky. The production values are stunning, and it kept me interested throughout the whole runtime, which is normally tough to do. The images on the screen are so weird and insane, along with the confusing plot comes off as like a fever dream. Gave me a lot of ideas to use in my writing too. Rating 8/10
Off Topic / Re: My running days are over
« Last post by Triptych on Today at 00:25:43 »
I feel for you.  I used to love to run the distance.  But I am now 50 and my knees really started going bad about 15 years ago.  I still play around with the boys but I move like an old man.  When on a treadmill I usually just set to the steepest grade and do it as a brisk walk.  Also the stair mills that are at some gyms work great for a good workout.  Finally I started lifting weights almost daily in order to keep from getting flabby. I went from 140 to 160 and feel great.  There are lots of other options to help keep you looking like a "10"

Another thing that I have gotten for leg workouts is a balance board and one of those 1/2 balance ball or burpee balls.  Just standing on one of those and doing some body weight squats can give a good workout for legs and core and not hammer your knees like running does.

Hope this helps.
I'd love to do burpees again, but theyre high impact, right?

coming from a person who can't even pedal a bike anymore due to his legs. ( can get all the way around to just about 11  position but i can't get the leg to push forward to complete the loop. ( thankfully I gave a e bike with a throttle to get around on.  I bet it looks weird as once I get going I have to reach over and pick the leg up to get it on the pedal
 But what about  placing some weights on your legs  as you walk to strengthen them. Or  get on some supplement to help with joint pain.  I actually have recently been seeing a Chiropractor  for the leg and back pain ( from Cerebral Palsy) and since then I seen a reduction in the back pain, and the number of falls I have taken.  now if I can just get the drop foot( toe dragging) part fixed I might be alright for another 10 years..

Sorry to hear about your back pain. I got that too (along with cellphone elbow). The doctor gave me a cortisone shot for my knee and advised me to get one every year, but I don't think I'll be doing more of it. My knee pain is mostly gone since I stopped doing high impact workouts, and now only flares up rarely.

These help me.  These and a good walk sometimes.
I stopped working out with weights years ago because my chest just expands to the point where I need to buy a whole new wardrobe lol. Even pushups does it.

ok silly but after i got hit by a car back in 11 and learned to fly ...well it was only 120 ft still it was flying. well my left hip was dislocated and my spine sports tiny spines and bone burrs along with some nerve damage due to small cracks that never healed right i was not able to walk long distances and jog...gained some flesh i did not want  asked a doctor about low impact stuff...well swimming or walking in the pool helped...low impact does not cause me pain and it works....oth when i lay down and float freaks life guards out....its like being in one of those sensory depreviation tanks....i fell asleep few times like that
Wow, thank goodness you survived and recovered.  :shocked:
Fan Designs and Rules / Re: Record Sheets: Beyond the Frontier!
« Last post by Liam's Ghost on Today at 00:25:42 »
245. Added were the Rover Labormech, Gendarme Securitymech, TX combat exoskeleton, ICE powered skimmer, probably other stuff.
Nice!  All the more reason to figure out how to shield Mars with a magnetic field...

This is a HUGE reason for future missions to Ganymede, to understand how small bodies can retain a magnetosphere over the vast expanse of time since accretion.
BattleTech Miniatures / Re: The Royal Dick: Journey to ReaperCon
« Last post by abou on 06 May 2024, 23:54:56 »
Third attempt at NMM. I just wasn't happy with what I was getting. I think I am happy now. The hardest part is how the NMM details are deep in the mini, which is slowing me down.

I am sure there will be more refinement, but now I feel I can finally move onto the rest of the mini.
Ground Combat / Re: Clan Large Pulse Lasers
« Last post by Colt Ward on 06 May 2024, 23:52:59 »
Risk/reward, after all.

There's that.

Ran 12 Introtech Mechs and 12 Introtech tanks against 11 Clanner Mechs and an Elemental Point last Friday, and we got about 4-5 Turns in the 4 hours we played (not bad considering 13 players and ALL the units involved).  The objective of the Clanners was to clear out an Artillery Park who was focusing on targets elsewhere.

Bad on the Clan players . . . they should have dropped one more mech to field a whole point of Elementals, it would have made init a bit more even- unless you were moving 1 veh & 1 mech to the Clan move.

I have seen folks get so focused on fighting they forget the objective . . . was the fastest unit the Vapor Eagle btw?  Because the Clan mechs should have been standing on tanks as often as they could.
Off Topic / Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Last post by rebs on 06 May 2024, 23:45:56 »
He's been there for a decade or so, but he still hasn't found where Hellbie hid his dice in the facilities  :grin:

Impressive!  Means somebody is actually using them whilst thinking an orange-red 2d6 pair from a gas station outside of Spokane in the never-to-be-used-except-if the-opponent-needs-to-borrow-them drawer are the real snake eyes boxes.   
Been playing Descent 3 via the Piccu Engine source port which is more recent.
Hmm... yeah. That joke seemed funnier when I wrote it late at night.
Novel and Sourcebook Reviews / Re: Rock and a Hard Place
« Last post by Frabby on 06 May 2024, 23:12:27 »
Belatedly got to read this. Has the timeline problem been adressed?
The arrival scene on Glengarry, following the Helm debacle, is dated 2 March 3028 - but canonically, the GDL had only returned to Helm on 24 March and the final battle there had been on 1 April.

Could the Mach dates from this new book perhapsbe meant to be set in May?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10