Author Topic: Giant-Class Mobile Fortress. Or remember that fairy tale with the J.Edgars?  (Read 3099 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Over in my Der Tag FF thread, I recently put up an article called "Gods of Our Fathers" about all the weird and wild stuff the Star League could do and the weird and wild stuff developed since then and how it fits into my AU.

One of the major units mentioned is the Eponymous Giant-Class Mobile Fortress; a Hegemony-development thats serves as the source of that later myth about the J.Edgar Hovertanks facing down a larger force with MUCH superior equipment. The wildest version of THAT STORY purports to include a "Giant Mobile Weapons Platform".

Okay. I can work with that.

I like the mobile structure rules and this is my first crack at them in a postable form. I hope it's postable anyways.

If this works, I'd like to make a drone version (don't ask, or maybe do. LOL), do the Mobile Orbital Guns from Mech Commander, a couple different DS Crawlers/Dropship launch complexes, a huge mobile crane, a strip-mining complex of linked machines and a massive excavator.

So let's go!

Right off the bat, I 100% ignored the canon rule limiting heavy weapons on Mobile Structures, but if I screwed up anywhere else, let me know.

So for fluff reasons, I have a debut date of 2317. That limits my weapon choices to these guys.

SL
ML
MG
Flamer
LRM-5/10/15/20
AC/2
AC/5
Thumper
Sniper

The function naturally will be as a ground-mobile fortress hardened structure with an IS tech Base.

We're building a structure with is a total of 9 levels tall (with the ground-two bonus levels added in)

It will have 7 hexes in a hex-shape. Picture something shaped something like a cross between a hexagonal-castle and the TMNT Techno-Drome. Only the centre hex has 9 levels.

CF will be equal to 150 and I am not sure where I pay for that?

Internal capacity will be CF 150 x 6 levels per hex, max and we are using all of that, in theory.

For power and motive systems, I came out to 172 tons each (Fusion), with an MP of 2, so the Urbies don't have time to window shop.

That comes out to 49 tons per hex

I'm open to debate the possibilities of large, mobile industrial fusion plants in this era.

Crew should really be done last, but TPTB put it here, so I give you what I came out to:

Total basic crew of 355. Thats a minimum of 336, with some extra bodies. With Hegemony tech, I am sure a MUCH smaller crew could manage no problem.

There are, thus; 42 officers. Or 34, plus some extra staff bloat

15 2nd class passengers, because who doesn't want to ride in style as you make your own road wherever you go? But 2nd Class, because there's a war on Dammit!

And then an infantry complement with a bayonet-strength of 188. But realistically, these guys are mainly 40% MP, 40% engineer and 20% grunt. Because this thing will need local security and people to get it un-stuck when it sticks. The heavy equipment is in cargo...

Grand total 600 pers, all ranks, including the weird harolds of the group

Equipment

six identical outer hexes with The following weapons on each:

Parenthesis represents the level the weapons are mounted on. I remain unclear as to what being in a turret means for level relative to firing arc. LOS is very clear, arc not so much. So when I say the Turrets are (8), for instance. what I mean is that they are mounted on level 8. Whether or not that gives them another level of effective height in any way, I am not sure, but I know they don't get more LOS.

Turret (8)

2x Thumper
2x AC/2
2x LRM/10

Outwards (IE: mounted on the outer walls and not on the turret)

4x AC/5 (7)
2x AC/2 (5)
3x LRM/20 (6)
3x Flamer (3)
8x MG (3)
6x SL (3)
10xML (4)

Ammo

Thumper (400)
AC/2 (1800)
LRM/10 (288)
AC/5 (800)
LRM/20 (540)
MG (10,000)

Heat Sinks 68 (Each hex)

Cargo: 358.5t MAX

Central Citadel with the following equipment

Turret (9)

3x Sniper
8x AC/5
2x LRM/20

Ammo

Sniper (300)
AC/5 (3200)
LRM/20 (240)

Additional Equipment

Communications
MASH x20
Field Kitchens x4

Passengers x15 2nd class

Infantry Bays

Jump Infantry (28)
Foot Infantry x3 (84)
Motorized x2 (56)
Mechanized x 4? (20)

Cargo: 394.5t Max

Total Mass (Full Combat Load) 6047.5t (6048? Do we round these?)

Please, find attached the spreadsheet with all the numbers

Fluff Excerpt from AU Fan Article

Regardless; these contemporary examples are well-known. But one good BS story deserves another. Did you ever hear the one about the unit of J. Edgar Hovertanks taking down a larger unit of superior mechs or tanks led by a massive mobile weapons platform?

Not so funny in context, is it?

In the days before Mechs; when the Terran Alliance was still vacillating between holding onto its vast network of colony worlds or letting them fend for themselves; the need was first expressed for a combat vehicle which would be the unrivaled final word in military power; something the colonies could never hope to defeat in open warfare and could not match industrially.  A weapon that would literally dwarf anything thrown against it.

The project languished on the backburner for decades, until after the Terran Alliance Civil War, when the new Terran Hegemony decided they wanted their lost colonies back. Badly. So badly they were willing to throw vast amounts of money into what was to that point; the most ambitious, nay: outlandish military R&D program since the TAS Dreadnaught.

Thus, was born the Giant mobile weapons platform; ready for action in 2317. A towering, tracked monstrosity, bristling with weapons and layered in armour; only a few dozen Giants were ever built and fewer still were ever deployed; but it was just possible using the largest dropships of the day, specially modified for the task.

Only the vaguest records remain, because the Giant was developed in secrecy and its deployments and the training of its huge crews cloaked in the tightest security for many years; certainly, no examples remain for us to study. What I have been able to gather, however suggests a mobile, tracked castle or tower-like structure more akin to a huge piece of mobile industrial machinery than a tank, but festooned with weaponry of all kinds.

It is just barely possible that the legend of the J. Edgars and the force of monster-mechs or tanks is inspired by 3rd-hand or more distant accounts of the Giant in action in the Hegemony’s reclamation campaigns and the suicidal tactics which were employed to try and stop them. Usually flutily.

The Giant had a fatal flaw, however; one which contributed greatly to its redaction from the official histories and withdrawal from front-line service. Powered by a massive fusion reactor, it needed various means to vent its waste heat. One of these it seems was a network of thermal exhaust ports. A single, heavily redacted datafile refers to the devastation of Terran morale on an unnamed world due to the loss of a “highly visible and major asset” to a rebel’s lucky hit “up the tail pipe”. Various contextual clues in the logistical arrangements elsewhere in the document lead me to believe the incident referred to in necessarily vague terms is the loss of a Giant to a lucky exhaust port hit.

If you really want to believe in the J. Edgar story from the perspective of the children’s holos and story readers; you might imagine one getting very lucky with an SRM volley. But given the design of the Giant; this would have entailed braving a gauntlet of withering defensive fire and possibly an approach through low ground such as a large irrigation trench or ravine and/or between the massive, churning track units. Of course, all of this requires someone to find or have access to a surviving Giant they were able to restore, operate and transport at least once.

The surviving Giants were mothballed on an airless moon for many years, but Brian Cameron later had them re-activated and incorporated them as a mobile element in the Castle network which bears his name. These must have all been destroyed during the Amaris Civil War, as there exists zero evidence of them following the Liberation of Terra.

Late in Simon Cameron’s rule; the design was revived for the “TROLL” Program; a system of automated defences which served as the precursor to the CASPAR Project. Fragmentary references to the TROLL Program describe Merkava tanks (Lesser Troll) and Giant Mobile Fortresses (Greater Troll) outfitted with a very primitive AI and assigned to sensitive facilities which had themselves been automated additionally to repair and service the drone tanks. As far as is known; none of these have ever been found.

Link to full text of the article Here:https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=51058.msg1450132#new

The only thing I'll add to that is that this thing would have rolled out with mountains spare-parts, tools and heavy equipment to enable it to self-recover at-need. I gave it vast quantities of ammunition because, this being the pre-major-energy weapons Era, the Giant has to be able to outlast any potential enemy.

Hope you like this one, but I am really dying for feedback in regards to my understanding of the construction rules and how I handled them here.

-Beachhead
« Last Edit: 28 October 2018, 18:04:48 by beachhead1985 »
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Well I've built a purpose built Mobile-Structure, aka Bolo Mk XXXIII : HRB-1 or Herb won!

Yeah not gonna post it either...

1x HellRail ~ Sub-Class Cannon/ Light
2x HellBore ~ Sub-Class Laser/ Medium
other stuff...
Including Blue Shield...

But my main question is why not a single missile type? Like LRM-15... compromise for the anemic 10 and the over use of the 20, which weighs twice as much.

TT
« Last Edit: 28 October 2018, 19:05:10 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Based on the fluff,  wouldn't the Rattler fit the bill here?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
Based on the fluff,  wouldn't the Rattler fit the bill here?

Ehn, possibly. But I always thought the idea was cool.

Edit: I guess I wanted a unit that fit the bill, but never mounted cap-tal or sub-cap weapons.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 10:16:49 by beachhead1985 »

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

kato

• Captain
I remain unclear as to what being in a turret means for level relative to firing arc. LOS is very clear, arc not so much.
Firing arcs only apply to weapons not mounted in a turret. All turrets can fire 360-degrees; the center raised hex does not obstruct them as they're assumed to be at the same height (p.171 TO).

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I like the idea of a Age of War built because fuel the imagination what conventional troops had deal with when the early Hegemony troops came calling with their superior technology.  Warships couldn't everywhere to threaten a planet who didn't have enough ground troops.  Nuclear or Orbital Capital weapons aside, this would be tough thing to crack.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
I'd sort of assumed that the legend is loosely based on a Taurian Freedom Army attack on an SLDF base that was equipped with a Rattler, using the J. Edgar's speed to move in quick under the ability of the platform's guns to depress and drop off a nuke (which we've seen the TFA deploy in scenarios of that era).
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
Firing arcs only apply to weapons not mounted in a turret. All turrets can fire 360-degrees; the center raised hex does not obstruct them as they're assumed to be at the same height (p.171 TO).

What I mean was more along the lines of what level does the turret *count-as* for firing arc related to height.

But my main question is why not a single missile type? Like LRM-15... compromise for the anemic 10 and the over use of the 20, which weighs twice as much.

TT

Actually I wanted to see if I could work in some of EVERY LRM system into the design; just to add an air of de-optimization, however I wanted to limit the number of rules i broke and the one on field kitchens limited to 4 per unit set a ceiling on feeding 600 a day, so the crew limits got tight.

CF will be equal to 150 and I am not sure where I pay for that?

Anybody have anything on this, though? Did I miss this?

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
Something I haven't been able to figure out; is there legal rules support for drone mobile structures?

I would like to make the Greater Troll, through handwavium or not.

PS: Anyone getting that reference?

A.E. Housman

kato

• Captain
What I mean was more along the lines of what level does the turret *count-as* for firing arc related to height.
"Uppermost level" of the MS for height.

Something I haven't been able to figure out; is there legal rules support for drone mobile structures?
DOS can not be mounted on MS (p.407 TO), however SRCS can (p141 IO - Advanced Level Rules).

With DTAC you can notionally also emulate drone operations in conjunction with a SRCS-equipped MS, although the DTAC controller can only be mounted on either a large aerospace unit or another MS (and is WOB proprietary).

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel

I would like to make the Greater Troll, through handwavium or not.

PS: Anyone getting that reference?

My first reply!

And "I" made mine using the Caspar rules in SO... Just assign the total tonnage to drone brain...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
"Uppermost level" of the MS for height.
DOS can not be mounted on MS (p.407 TO), however SRCS can (p141 IO - Advanced Level Rules).

With DTAC you can notionally also emulate drone operations in conjunction with a SRCS-equipped MS, although the DTAC controller can only be mounted on either a large aerospace unit or another MS (and is WOB proprietary).

Thank you! Some of the text seemed to suggest that the turret counted as having an extra level for LOS purposes, but no others.

Hmmmm. So i could put SRCS in the MS and then say the rest is in the facility that it is defending. That works. except that both are WOB only.
My first reply!

And "I" made mine using the Caspar rules in SO... Just assign the total tonnage to drone brain...

TT

AH!!! See, I wondered is that was just you being awesome by using the same rules to make a BOLO, because; why would you not? Even most Laumer fans have not read The Stars Must Wait so it is extra-obscure.

So you made a Caspar system, but used the MS tonnage for the total mass used for the drone brain vs a WS?

A.E. Housman

kato

• Captain
Hmmmm. So i could put SRCS in the MS and then say the rest is in the facility that it is defending. That works. except that both are WOB only.
Unless is is built 2755-2780 (Terran Hegemony), 2755-2850 (Clans) or post-3080 (Republic prototypes). Then you could put just SRCS in it (for post-3080 DTAC would be Republic too). The required mass for SRCS on MS is in the footnote of the table on p.141... on that note, time for a rules question on DTAC on MS - as the weight isn't stated.

SDS-DCS (Caspar) is not available rules-wise to MS.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
Kato:

I know that, but since it was AU...

Beachhead:

Yep! I loved how the guy wakes up and finds the old man as his son! BUT now I have a different secret... that involves Manei Domini and their cybernetics... PM sent!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
Unless is is built 2755-2780 (Terran Hegemony), 2755-2850 (Clans) or post-3080 (Republic prototypes). Then you could put just SRCS in it (for post-3080 DTAC would be Republic too). The required mass for SRCS on MS is in the footnote of the table on p.141... on that note, time for a rules question on DTAC on MS - as the weight isn't stated.

SDS-DCS (Caspar) is not available rules-wise to MS.

Oooo!

That SRCS would work then! And for the Merkavas (Lesser Trolls) as well.
Kato:

I know that, but since it was AU...

Beachhead:

Yep! I loved how the guy wakes up and finds the old man as his son! BUT now I have a different secret... that involves Manei Domini and their cybernetics... PM sent!

TT

Coolness!

A.E. Housman