Author Topic: (Answered) Mine Dispensers  (Read 1872 times)

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
(Answered) Mine Dispensers
« on: 12 October 2022, 01:48:37 »
Pages for reference.
Minefield rules
168-169 AS:CE (2019, Thunderbolt cover idk where edition is)

Mine Dispenser (MDS# special)
87 (2019, Thunderbolt cover)

When does the mine dispenser come into effect. Is it part of movement? Or is it a whole attack, replacing shooting (like most specials) or is it in addition (like NARC or TAG)?

If it’s during movement how does it interact with other things later in the initiative? 
« Last Edit: 12 October 2022, 13:35:28 by nckestrel »
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Mine Dispensers
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2022, 13:35:17 »
Mine dispensers deploy the minefield during its movement.  As it moves, it can choose to deploy the minefield in the area it just left.
The minefield is in effect immediately. Note that minefields are not triggered by units moving through or leaving a minefield though, only on entering.  So the mine dispenser cannot deploy a minefield on another unit and have it explode.  The other units must still choose to move into the minefield to detonate. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: Mine Dispensers
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2022, 17:46:30 »
Mine dispensers deploy the minefield during its movement.  As it moves, it can choose to deploy the minefield in the area it just left.
The minefield is in effect immediately. Note that minefields are not triggered by units moving through or leaving a minefield though, only on entering.  So the mine dispenser cannot deploy a minefield on another unit and have it explode.  The other units must still choose to move into the minefield to detonate.

thanks.

Is this actually stated anywhere in the rules and I missed it, or does it need to be added somewhere as errata?
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: (Answered) Mine Dispensers
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2022, 20:17:16 »
The mine dispenser section is being noted as one that could use clarification in the future.

Mine Dispensers do say "create minefields in areas through which it travels."  Thus it is during movement, and in the area it traveled through. that does leave the question of exactly where the minefields are placed (directly underneath or behind), and I added the behind. 

The note about entering, not just moving through or leaving, is in the minefield rules on 168.  "minefields may only explode when a unit enters the field's area of effect."

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets