Author Topic: My review on Total Warfare  (Read 4931 times)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
My review on Total Warfare
« on: 21 September 2011, 13:39:04 »
Given that the majority of forum readers already own this volume, this review is probably superfluous. But here it goes anyway:

For any Battletech fan who does not yet own this volume, I have two words of advice: buy it!

Classic Battletech: Total Warfare is a high quality publication that combines basic combat rules formerly found in Battletech Master Rules and Aerotech 2. The book sumarizes the rules in clear language with multiple diagrams and examples.

Retailing for $39.99 USD, this hard cover volume is highly attractive with full color gloss print. In contrast to previous FASA publications, nearly all pictures feature photographs of CSO painted miniatures as opposed to pen and ink illustrations. Full color painted illustrations preface each chapter with an introductory mini story.

Although not intended for those new to Battletech, the rules are written quite clearly and are easy to reference with a full index at the back. The back of the volume also contains all charts and tables needed, which are also available in pdf format at ClassicBattletech.com. For the first time ever, rules for ground, air and space operations are covered in one volume, including compilations of special rules and advanced technology previously published in various field manuals and such.

I also like the very detailed section in the back with a beginner's tutorial on how paint miniatures. Even for veteran mini painters like myself, it provides a lot of good tips and a refresher on the basics. The section on kit bashing provides excellent tips on advanced reposing techniques.

I wish however that it had a Rule Changes section that itemize the changes between the previous BMR version of rules and the current rules. Additionally I found that rules for things such as Artillery which once appeared in the BMR, are now in a different volume (Tactical Operations).

Overall, an excellent value and a fine addition to the Battletech legacy.
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
Re: My review on Total Warfare
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2011, 14:19:18 »
That's a fair and useful review, StuartYee!  :)

But it does beg one minor correction:

For the first time ever, rules for ground, air and space operations are covered in one volume

Air and space operations return for the first time since 1994. BattleTech's first two all-encompassing rulebooks included essentially the same aerospace coverage that Total Warfare does.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2011, 16:21:19 »
That's a fair and useful review, StuartYee!  :)

But it does beg one minor correction:

Air and space operations return for the first time since 1994. BattleTech's first two all-encompassing rulebooks included essentially the same aerospace coverage that Total Warfare does.

I stand corrected, which is shameful since I think I have that one too :-[

Thanks for the errata!
« Last Edit: 23 September 2011, 16:26:20 by StuartYee »

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2011, 16:57:14 »
I'd like to note that artillery is not included for a specific reason, Total Warfare contains all the rules for Tournament Legal play. While Tactical Operations and Strategic Operations provide a variety of interesting and useful rules for play, they are optional rules that can slow the game down, or introduce a much larger scale than is appropriate for "standard" games.

Not meaning to be rude, just thought I'd include a little note for anyone who's still on the fence about purchasing this fine book.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2011, 17:57:35 »
I'd like to note that artillery is not included for a specific reason, Total Warfare contains all the rules for Tournament Legal play. While Tactical Operations and Strategic Operations provide a variety of interesting and useful rules for play, they are optional rules that can slow the game down, or introduce a much larger scale than is appropriate for "standard" games.

Not meaning to be rude, just thought I'd include a little note for anyone who's still on the fence about purchasing this fine book.

You're not being rude, you're making a valid point. It puts a prospective buyer at ease knowing that Total Warfare is the only book they need for Tournament Play.

Thanks for the tidbit!  :)

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2011, 14:36:19 »
My only complaint about Total Warfare: the index at the back of the book isn't very good.  Otherwise, I love it.

Now if I can only take the time to get through the others....

outkast_samurai

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2011, 20:52:00 »
My biggest complaint is that artillery is in yet another book. I always enjoyed playing with artillery but then again we were always playing on a 4x8 table at least. We really didn't believe in 'off board' arty so there was always a chance of getting the light fast units down the board to the arty units. I even had a round in flight time chart for when my rounds would land depending on how far I was firing them.

SurfRockSteven

• Corporal
  • Glowin' like the metal on the edge of a knife...
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2011, 10:40:13 »
I get what they were working to do with TW and TM and TO as seperate books.  I just don't like having to buy three books when the same ground was covered with BMR and MaxTech.  That said, I have two major issues with TW:

1) The index really needs work  There is so much material in the book and the index just isn't specific enough.  Case in point: I want my 'Mech to back up.  I don't remember the rules so I look in the index.  The index doesn't mention backing up as a movement.  Hmmm.  Is it under Backing up?  No such entry.  Maybe under BattleMech movement.  No such entry for that either.  Something I'd really like to see when all the core rulebooks are done is a comprehensive index so I know exactly what is where in which rulebook.

2) Too much extraneous stuff.  The book looks pretty, but there is entirely too much no rule stuff in a rule book.  Out of 316 pages, I count 59 pages of fiction.  19% of the tournament rulebook has absolutely nothing to do with tournament rules.  And that's before we even start counting artwork, miniatures pictures, acknowledgements, info on making minis, assorted bits of fluff here and there, and pages of other stuff to buy, none of which is needed for a rulebook.  All it does is add page counts and bumps up the price, and in full color no less. 

I would have been much less unhappy had the fiction and fluff been stripped out of TW and TM and combines the two into a single BattleTech Manual.  Either that or a bare-bones version of just the rules and I can print out to drag to games.
"The story of civilization is, in a sense, the story of engineering - that long and arduous struggle to make the forces of nature work for man's good."
~L. Sprague de Camp

"Arrr! The laws of science be a harsh mistress."
~Bender Bending Rodriguez