Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: LMT-XX Lament  (Read 24650 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
’Mech of the Week: LMT-XX Lament
« on: 31 January 2014, 07:08:18 »
’Mech of the Week: LMT-XX Lament
LMT-2R Lament, Technical Readout: 3145, p. 139

Since its inception the Republic of the Sphere has used the Prefect as its signature heavy BattleMech. The Prefect, dependable and quick as it is, sometimes lacked a certain oomph compared to others in the weight class. Thus when Skobel (“yes, we supplied arms to the Word of Blake and Amaris but we’re better now”) MechWorks presented the RAF with the Lament, the Republic High Command was quickly sold on the machine. One quiet addition to an appropriations bill later and the Lament would find itself in the RAF’s regiments. Christened in honor of Devlin Stone’s first unit, it’s not surprising to find a large number of the heavy ‘Mech serving in Stone’s Brigade. Though spotting Laments sporting Hastati Sentinel or Principes Guard colors wouldn’t be out of the question. On either side of the Fortress wall. The heavy cavalry ‘Mech is prized by the forces of the Republic Remnant. A pair of Laments, piloted by the brothers Anderson, act as the unofficial bodyguard for Damien Redburn himself.

Four variants of the Lament can be found amongst the RAF, though they share a number of construction features. The life of every model is the VOX 325 XL Fusion engine. It pushes this heavy to top speeds of 86 kph, on par even with Clan counterparts. Along with this light but fragile engine is an equally light but fragile gyroscope. The advanced Falcon 15 Watch TTS shared by all the variants is worth noting as well. The cutting edge system easily Tracks Multiple threats and provides firing solutions without compromising accuracy. Thankfully all these vulnerable components are encased in all the Krupp 205 Light Ferro-Fibrous armor the 65 ton chassis can support.  Such a thick layer of woven alloy protection keeps the internals safe from all but the heaviest of Gauss Rifle projectile impacts to every forward location. Center torso and lower limbs are sufficiently armored to shield from successive standard Gauss slugs. The back end can handle Inner Sphere Large Lasers with much aplomb. Additionally, the molding and layout of the armor lends itself to a handy quirk … er… perk. Anti-‘Mech infantry and battle armor have an especially difficult time cracking the tough outer shell to get to the juicy leg actuators within. Though I’m sure the MechWarrior will be happy to give them a free spine-shortening for their efforts.

While any ‘Mech is an expensive, motionless hulk without its engine, the radical heat sinks system is the heart and soul of all extant Lament models. Essentially a bulkier, heavier, multiuse coolant pod, the RHS allows for momentary bursts of exceptional heat dissipation capacity. It’s not without risk however. Due to the elevated fluid pressures, the coolant hoses can rupture with every activation. Consecutive use heightens the risk of failure. But what pilot worth their neurohelmet doesn’t like to play it fast and loose every now and then? Should the Lament suffer an embarrassing line leak, there are both immediate and long term consequences. First off, the excess heat that would have otherwise been managed is still present. More than likely a shutdown override, if not an automatic shutdown, looms in the very near future. Beyond that, the damaged coolant system isn’t quite up to snuff anymore. Movement and weapon discharge now produce extra heat that must be taken into account. Another downside, technicians may not necessarily be familiar with the new equipment and it utilizes specialized, Non-Standard Parts making the ‘Mech sometimes Difficult to Maintain.

The first variant out the door was the LMT-2R and its intent is simple, remove as much armor from your target as quickly as possible. To this end, a massive Heavy PPC is installed in each arm. For backup and ER Medium Laser has been placed in each side torso and the head. The fifteen double heat sinks are just adequate to dissipate the heat from the two PPCs, leaving any generated by movement or the lasers to slowly accumulate. If the radical heat sink system is activated (and the Avoid Failure roll doesn’t let you down) the Lament -2R can alpha strike and only be concerned with any movement heat. Obviously there are numerous ways to juggle this depending on how risk averse you might be. But I can’t help but recommend leaning on that RHS just a bit. The payoff can be fantastic. If there’s a glaring flaw in the weapon selection of the -2R and any other Lament variant, it’s the lack of crit seeking equipment. This is absolutely one of those moments that lance-mate selection can be a boon. The dependence on energy weapons also has its limitations. But given the inordinate number of shortcomings found in Reflective armor, I’m not overly concerned.

The next Lament on the block is the LMT-3R which keeps everything from the -2R but the weapons. The arms and right torso now mount an ER PPC per location. Though the total damage output has been reduced, the reach gets a nice 150 meter boost and the lack of minimum range is also a handy plus. And making use of that RHS will get to back to the same PPC-based throw weight at the -2R with only movement heat forcing the gauge upward. A pair of Small X-Pulse lasers have been added to the head and left torso. Primarily added to give anything small and squishy pause, the do add a nice bit of extra punch once you get within close (read kickin’) range. The legacy of the Awesome-8Q screams loud and clear with this variant. Just with less armor and significantly better ground speed. Use it accordingly.

Given the RAF’s odd love of C3, it shouldn’t be too shocking that the long range fire support potential of the -3R was quickly leaped upon. The LMT-3C removes the Small X-Pulse found in the head and replaces it with a C3 Slave unit. As long as your lance can avoid hostile ECM bubbles, or brings sufficient counter ECM of its own, the Lament -3C can be a long range terror. Then again, it’s also just a handy way to mimic most of the abilities of the -3R at a slightly lower BV.

Mixed-tech comes into play with the LMT-4RC Lament making something horrifying to the enemy and for only the most daring to pilot. Four Improved Heavy Lasers are the sole weapon systems, each mounted in the arms and side torsos. The coolant systems has been upgraded as well. Twenty-one (!) Clan double heat sinks now accompany the radical heat sink system. The C3 Slave unit mounted in the head makes this a bone-rattling point man for such a lance. Anyone quickly doing the mental math will notice that even with the RHS activated, the heat sinks can’t handle the burden of an alpha strike. Once again recalling the Awesome, firing patterns are your friend. Following up an alpha with just a trio of heavy laser shots, while using the RHS again, will bring you back to heat neutral not accounting for movement. Firing just two of the improved lasers will not only “reset” the Avoid Failure roll, will can bring you leave the Lament at zero heat even factoring in a full run for every turn. Of course there’s always a down side. To cram all the bulky gear into the ‘Mech, the Endo Steel used on all the previous versions has been eschewed for Composite bones. Factor in the unstable nature of the Improved Heavy lasers with this more brittle structure and the -4RC will rapidly crumble once the armor start to develop holes. But oh the merry havoc you’ll sow until then.

The Master Unit List has entries available these days. Unfortunately, since Ironwind doesn’t quite have a mini available, there’s no shining examples of CSO goodness to point to.

The design evolved a bit from the initial stages. I had looked to the Prefect as inspiration, hoping to offer a more offensive minded little brother. Some components it would have serendipitously shared with the Doloire were eventually scrapped after jymset suggested “brownie points for using the radical HS”. I quickly fell in love with the idea of being able of offer a sizable knockdown salvo balance by the risk of failure heaping horrible consequences upon the unlucky. While the base chassis wasn’t altered, the final equipment load out was built around the RHS. The variants came about after some back and forth between jymset, Paul [jymset: That Sick Expletive], and myself. The -4RC specifically was born out of Paul taking a mixed tech suggestion I made and running with it down the down the halls of madness. To which I heartily approved. One of the early ideas bandied about was to have the Lament be the first production example, if not the test bed, for the radical heat system. While that concept was ultimately dropped for reasons, you’ll notice that there’s only two other instances of the RHS in entire TRO: 3145 series. Not counting the NTNU section of course. The Lament does predate both the AS7-D3 Atlas III and the DLR-OA Doloire, so that little nugget didn’t entirely die.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2014, 08:35:35 by Pa Weasley »

ipopal

• Corporal
Re: ’Mech of the Week: LMT-XX Lament
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2014, 09:37:40 »
Is there any fluff on how it performed in combat?

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2014, 10:08:13 »
The Lament is a solid, if uninspiring, showcase for the RHS.  It's nice to be able to fire your medium laser battery with your peepers every other turn if you get to closer ranges.  But a Black Hawk or Awesome clone would have been more interesting and more consistently leveraged a RHS than a Warhammer clone.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2014, 12:59:11 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2014, 12:32:09 »
And speaking of Warhammers, I just realized how much that torso area looks like the unseen Whammie. Damn that's cool.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2014, 14:00:53 »
look at the decorative emblem on the leg.. pretty sure the winged skull was placed there to recall the bat-winged demon lady of the 3rd edition set cover art..
« Last Edit: 31 January 2014, 20:44:58 by glitterboy2098 »

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2014, 14:19:17 »
Nasty little bugger, I'd have to say. Never even heard of it till now but it has some fun potential. I'm rather liking the RHS, and I'd say the Heavy PPC and (shudders at the blasphemy) mixed-tech variants are pretty fun uses of it.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2014, 17:31:00 »
Why does this have to be a Republic mech!? It looks really, really cool! oh well.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2014, 17:53:00 »
The art. I couldn't even care if it was terrible. But dat art.  [drool]

That being said, it certainly is a monster. I do wish it used regular medium lasers rather then ER mediums but that's more of a bracket firing/standard MLs are the go to 'sidearm' for any mech for me.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2014, 19:47:25 »
Why does this have to be a Republic mech!?

So we can steal them for ourselves, of course!
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2014, 01:28:53 »
Love the art, yes it reminds me of the Warhammer . . . but what does not that has two big tubes for arms and a block body?

For the energy only merc crowd I can see this mech being extremely popular, if mercs can get their hands on it.  I am also wondering if we might see a TSM variant . . . . ramping up the heat would allow it to close with targets faster to bring the big guns into play and keep up with a faster than 5/8 cavalry force.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2014, 03:22:08 »
look at the decorative emblem on the leg.. pretty sure the winged skull was placed there to recall the bat-winged demon lady of the 3rd edition set cover art..

Or another winged skull seen on a more apocryphal warhammer

Now I have to wonder if they meant to do that....
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2014, 03:38:37 »
Or another winged skull seen on a more apocryphal warhammer

Now I have to wonder if they meant to do that....

Haha! Glad someone else thought back to the Death Wing!

What I like about this mech is how ugly, how brutal it is. It looks like a killing machine... And it is.
Compare it to my other favourite from the same TRO - the Doliore, which is all sleek lines and sexy looking. This thing is an instrument of death, praying for war

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2014, 10:28:38 »
Warhammer?  Winged Skull?  Ave Dominus Nox.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2014, 11:03:52 »
Love this thing, I found myself while the RHS wasn't working yet in MegaMek not worrying about overheating the base model 2R.  It works fine without it, its hard hitting hammer (no pun intended.  ;))  Taking out enemies, while your slower bigger guns comes in to finish up where the Lament left off.  Fun machine, hope its survives the fall of the Republic.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2014, 11:12:14 »
The Lament is very 'meh'; it doesn't really do anything impressive with the RHS, which is a complete game-changer depending on what battlemech it is used in. Sad too, because everything else about the 'mech isn't boring at all.

Of course, tho it is boring, anyone could use it properly- which is likely a strength.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2014, 11:52:19 »
Visually there seems to be a fair amount of Nova Cat omnimech in it. Especially in the legs, but also seen in the arms somewhat. Given the number of clan Nova Cat warriors and their mechs that stayed in the republic, that might be a direct lineage.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 03 February 2014, 12:32:46 »
... roll, will can bring you leave the Lament at ...
I don't get this sentence.  ???

That said, decent mech. I think I'd have preferred the Mixed tech variant to use to Lasers and two PRs at the cost of 6 HS, or maybe some cERLLs, but that just doesn't have the same 'madness' vibe.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 03 February 2014, 14:48:04 »
No, but a sextet of Plasma Cannons sure as hell would. ^-^

EDIT: The more I think about that (and six PCs works with four tons of ammo and 13 DHSs), the more I shudder in horror at how evil that is.  6 PCs is enough to on average add +14 heat to three different 'Mechs, or deal on average 69 damage to non-heat tracking units.  On average.  Maximum potential is something over a hundred.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2014, 15:14:28 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #18 on: 03 February 2014, 17:39:47 »
Is there any fluff on how it performed in combat?

Of course there is. :)
The 3145 TROs all have extensive battle history for their units. It was one of the big changes that were implemented and made writing for these TROs so much fun. :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #19 on: 04 February 2014, 12:47:55 »
I've used the 2R, and had it used against me. In both cases it was brutally effective.   >:D
I have spoken.

daeceg

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 06 February 2014, 02:18:21 »
It is the little brother to the Warlord...what's not to like?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 06 February 2014, 07:03:14 »
I've used the 2R, and had it used against me. In both cases it was brutally effective.   >:D

I recently ran a lance with paired 2R and paired Osprey in an urban environment - absolutely murdered three medium mechs and ran off a Rifleman. They ran into a bit of trouble trying to pry out the land of Kinnols and Pattons

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #22 on: 06 February 2014, 07:54:45 »
Definitely love the art and the 2R is a great mech.

I have to ask though, why not use paired clan ERPPCs instead of the heavies?  The RotS clearly has them available.  Their added range makes more sense on a cavalry heavy. I'm not saying the heavy PPC is not serviceable, it works well, but the clan weaponry would make a lot of sense here.

The 4 iHLL version is bonkers.  I like heavy lasers and all but that thing is crazy.

To the patient go the spoils

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #23 on: 06 February 2014, 09:10:37 »
Possible in universe reason? While the StarCorps may be able to get an adequate supply of Clan-spec ER PPCs for the Doloire A, that doesn't mean Skobel can get an adequate, reliable supply for the Lament in 3126. Also, if you're looking at the RAF in general, they have Clan 'Mechs in need of the weapon.

Out of universe reason. I'm a firm believer that "so good it's boring" is an issue. We ran up against it toying with the mixed-tech version.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #24 on: 06 February 2014, 09:20:28 »
Yeah, I played with a Clan heavy cavalry mech using TSM and considered adding FL armor . . . utter murder with a 70t's kick powered by TSM.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #25 on: 06 February 2014, 09:32:28 »
Possible in universe reason? While the StarCorps may be able to get an adequate supply of Clan-spec ER PPCs for the Doloire A, that doesn't mean Skobel can get an adequate, reliable supply for the Lament in 3126. Also, if you're looking at the RAF in general, they have Clan 'Mechs in need of the weapon.

Out of universe reason. I'm a firm believer that "so good it's boring" is an issue. We ran up against it toying with the mixed-tech version.

Exactly. While the Republic is clearly capable of producing and/or importing Clantech in decent quantities, that doesn't mean they can produce/import it in extremely large quantities, or that it isn't still more expensive than IS tech. Going all-Clan is probably too expensive, and/or their supplies of the stuff are finite, and so must be prioritized. I wouldn't be surprised if those iHL Laments are much rarer than the other models for that same reason.

Out-of-universe, it's probably a desire to keep the RAF interesting and not overpowered.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #26 on: 06 February 2014, 09:40:52 »
Another IC reason might be the Republic does not have enough techs they feel comfortable enough working with Clan gear.  Because I will bet the best techs will be with Stone's brigades.
Colt Ward

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #27 on: 06 February 2014, 09:46:07 »
That too. Training is another cost associated with high tech, and they may not be able to afford the costs of training all their techs to that level.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 06 February 2014, 10:19:47 »
The Republic is the new clans.

Best not to repeat the mistakes of the past.
IC, One has to remember the Doloire is the Republics premier Assault Omni-mech, and thus a lot higher on the list.
Yes, a lament with clan spec ppcs would be good. Way better than the base version, even.
But is it worth the cost?
The mech is already difficult to maintain, and when in doubt, reinforcing a lance with a pair of heavy tanks beats out equipping the mechs with better weapons.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #29 on: 06 February 2014, 21:46:27 »

I'd say you solved that problem... 4 iHLLs, that ain't boring on a 5/8 heavy.  It's equally as terrifying for your opponent as it is for you.

To the patient go the spoils

Register