Author Topic: AU: Der Tag (The Day)  (Read 86802 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
AU: Der Tag (The Day)
« on: 05 February 2016, 23:44:02 »
It is the eve of the 32nd Century and mankind looks back on yet another unquiet age.

For decades, the Exiled Star League Defence Force has waited, plotting in secrecy against the Republic and her allies.

"The Day" will come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjc1tqt8WFY

Der Tag is the outgrowth of my own grappling with the major events that were happening in the BTU as i was growing up. I had read the novels and digested old websites for years as a kid and I was certain events were building to a crescendo.

Following the Twilight of the Clans and the Fed Com Civil War, I felt I was sure I knew where things were going to go.

Turns out that I had the right idea...if I was a Word of Blake Precentor.

This is not an I-Hate-The-Jihad story. I admit; i didn't get the Jihad at first, but it took years for enough of the books to come out for me to understand it. When I did, they really just showed me i was reading the wrong books. All the hints and details; the plots, the logistics, the secret armies; they were there to see, plain as day...if you knew what was going on. Now I can see that not only does the Jihad make sense; it was inevitable and a damn good story.

See, me and the Wobblies; we had it figured: This is the Star League Reborn, y'all! It's all beer and whiskey and songs from now on! We are going to sort some stuff out! First, we take care of this Clan nonsense and then a byzantine power struggle for a more sensical system than this rotating First Lord nonsense!

So when next thing I know the 2SL is history, cause...reasons...and suddenly there is this Darkage stuff...I was confused. But I wasn't upset. I figured; yeah, well the core of the game has always been the madmax stuff...this is that returning to it's lostech roots...except lostech now includes Omnimechs and Battlearmour...Cool! I was less than thrilled with the execution. Micheal Stackpole's little essays frankly enraged me.

Now i knew just how WOB must have felt (though I didn't know it at the time).

But I got over it for the most part. Classic Battletech and the follow-on products helped me forget the Darkage was even on the horizon in the timeline I cared about. But that basic seed of confusion never left me; all those little hints I thought I was following, those ideas of mine that Stackpole was so sure were really his; why disband the Star League? And above all. How did this vaunted age of peace and prosperity come about before the age of Clicky-Tech? How did you make the BTU *do* that?!

Over time, as I learned more about the Jihad, I added other questions; what was WOB really up to? what were they thinking? Less "Who is Devlin Stone?" and more "What is *he* thinking?", How did the logistics of a huge secret army work?

To this day, for all those questions; I have one solid answer: To the last point.

Quite well, in the BTU.

To the point; whoever trained and organized the WOBM, did their job extremely well. WOBROM was almost incredibly competent.

To this day though...I am not certain about the whole taking down the Clans aspects of the WOB's secret armies...nor have I ever been totally satisfied with why they just happened to have troops and intelligence assets staged all over. Part of some post 3rd-transfer coup de main? We'll never know for certain and I've never been great at the whole prophesy thing.

What I do know is that when the 2nd Star League disbanded; they were both angry and non-plussed. So what if they weren't the only ones? Why *were* they the only ones?

So here is the AU Summary;

A Star League needs an SLDF. The Comguards were still the heroes of Tukayyid, but they were always going to be the phone company's army and after the schism; everyone who knew anything knew they couldn't be trusted, not completely.

The ELH? Too few and not suited to cadre duty for a real army; also: too high-profile to break-up. Morgan's Lions? Too much FedCom troops, even after picking up strays after huntress. Great in the former FEDCOM, less elsewhere.

And the Nova Cats were...Clan...

The 2SL needed an army and they built one in secret, and not by half measures; this was to be the SLDF reborn afterall.

---As a note here, this kind of expenditure behind the scenes also provided me with a concrete reason to disband the 2SL; politics never cut it for me, but money does. The *expense* of the Star League was mentioned in it's dissolution, but the 2SL should have, to me; been a money-maker in trade deals, not a net-loss. But I digress.

When the 2SL disbands and the Jihad kicks off; this army exists in Prototype form and they decide, naturally; to oppose WOB, in order to earn the right to re-establish the Star League once more. These are TRUE BELIEVERS in all the best of the Star League, with enough awareness of history and enough ignorance of politics to believe that they can avoid enough of the mistakes of the past to matter.

They fight in the Jihad; little changes in the Jihad; the Wolves and Falcons play less and the SLDF-in-Exile provides a counter-point and sort-of contrast/competition to Stone's Coalition. My Devlin Stone is a bit more human; more flawed, more of a figurehead; a guy who knows better, but doubts himself in the classic Stackpole mould, which I hate so much, and gets swept along by events until he believes his own press. Ultimately he does what he does for a mix of love and idealism. Who is Devlin Stone? He's Micheal Stackpole's Everyman; a Victor, a Kai, ect. An incredible hero made human with the flaw of self-doubt.

Having two forces, but much more net opposition on the table means that there is less tight, effective coalition building, but the results and timelines change little. There is just a lot less of different factions getting forced into boxes. Small details change; like the Donner Bombing; never happens. That leads to more strong leadership in play for the middle and final stages of the Jihad. But when it comes to Terra it's a confused mess as everyone piles in and it's clear they need a supreme commander to sort things out and coordinate. Devlin Stone is the man everyone is *least unhappy with*.

The fight for Terra goes on much longer; WOB is better prepared and more dug-in. Several key battles turn out differently, but a lot of new battles have to be fought; there are more serious obstacles in the Middle East, more difficult city-fighting; there is a huge Russo-European campaign and a lot more Castle's Brian need to be cracked open. Fill a box with your military nightmares and dump it on Terra; that what we're looking at.

There is a lot of personality conflict between the officers of the SLDFiE and Stone's camp; Stone earns a lot of credit and support the hard way, but the SLDFiE's Commander; McKenna makes sure some of the hardest jobs go to his men and women, because they are most suited for them and that is how he thinks.

McKenna is an atypical BTU personality; he's very competent, but without the supporting political and *people* skills most of the major leaders have. He is where is he by fluke of being available, expendable and temperamentally suited to the job. If the 2SL had really needed an army to possibly wipe out the Clans, keep the peace by intimidation and fight dirty little wars, he'd be a tragic hero in days to come. Instead he's the last man you'd want in charge of an army like this, dealing with these kinds of leaders in the middle of the Jihad; you couldn't dream of a person better-suited to rub people like Stone, Victor and Phelan Kell the wrong way. He's the sort of person who would have been relieved for political reasons or assigned a handler in any National army in the BTU. As is, he's the top guy in the whole SLDFiE. Think MacArthur in Korea, Patton in 1945 or Montgomery in Ireland, but with much less people skills; almost the anti-BTU leader. He's militarily effective, ruthless and pragmatic. Socially inept and politically intolerable. His success as a leader derives from his lack of ego; (he knows what he doesn't know and delegates effectively; thus avoids serious errors), a sense of compassion that seems come out of nowhere and the tendency for people to be relate to leaders with flaws and foibles.

At the end of the fighting for Terra, a lot of people are uncomfortably aware of just how capable the SLDFiE still is and are wondering; "what now?"

By this stage, it's clear; there will be no 3rd League and that puts the SLDFiE out of a job. The SLDFiE is often seen as a rogue army at worst and an army with a nation attached; a geo-political abomination at best. Issues of political franchise and crime and punishment in the SLDFiE's secret canton worlds horrify Lear's Idealists and most of the major leaders sign a petition asking the SLDFiE to turn their equipment over to the RAF and disband or integrate into the RAF under their control.

Neither outcome is acceptable to McKenna and his SLDFiE and for the next 20ish years, you have a cold war.

This follows a lot like the period of peace and prosperity we see in the canon timeline, you have;

-widespread demilitarization
-civilian disarmament
-territorial acquisition by the republic

But; with the threat of the no-longer-exiled SLDF and their own nascent 3rd League of mixed supporters, R&D in the Republic goes into overdrive in an attempt to maintain superiority. So that by 3100, the RAF is larger than their canon high-water mark and their have equipment not seen until 3145/3150 in the canon timeline.

Politically Stone/Lear have pushed a hard line on the forging a better world front; most people in the republic and their close allies are full of koolaid on that one. But many in the RAF, especially the Spec-Ops and high command know that some form of confrontation with the SLDF is inevitable. Politically; policies vary from "Carthage Must Be Destroyed" rhetoric to "Peace at Any Price" and all points in between.

If you're interested in the Clans in this timeline; here is what you need to know; 1) The Wars of the Reaving kicked off years earlier and are called "The Clan Civil War". Things went very badly for the Society and the only thing that saved the Jade Falcons was being so far away from the action and the  sheer depth of the scientist conspiracy. 2) Most Clans have decided that as of the early 3060s the lesson to learn from conflict in the IS and the homeworlds and the long the supply lines in between is to strengthen their navies and thus while most of the IS has abandoned Warship development/production; the Clans have been stepping it up. 3) Cultural and political pressures have very much fractured the Clans as a whole. 4) Cool Trivia; the 2SL's "New Model Army" was designed originally for two purposes; recreate the deterrent capability of the Hegemony Royal Army units as a mechanism for lasting peace and to wipe out the Clans just in case the lesson of the Jaguars didn't stick. On that note; the SLDF looks on surviving Smoke Jaguars somewhat like how the Clans would look at surviving Wolverines; it's how they have chosen to read the directives left over and passed down from the annihilation of CSJ.

Back in the Inner Sphere, the 3rd League has initiated a plan known as "Operation: CENTURY"; a covert operations program aimed at undermining the Republic and intended to last up to one hundred years. For various reasons, things are ready to kick off wildly ahead of schedule right around when the SLDF meets their troop strength goals in 3100.

Which brings us to; Der Tag, or "the day" in English.

My aim here is to bring a tone to BT reminiscent of the years preceding the first and second world wars, combined with a political climate which is fractious and less post-Roman Empire and more like post-empires entirely; with political alignments such as the Republicans, Nationalists, Royalists and Revolutionaries; it's like the Spanish Civil War in that sense.

The key touchstone of the AU is the concept and the overtone of the inevitable resumption of conflict, thus: Der Tag; the way German Soldiers would talk about the war to come prior to WWI. While in general, the rest of the Inner Sphere above a certain level feels more like the end of the Jihad was less a peace and more a temporary armistice, much like how some people felt at the end of WWI. Everyone knows it can't last forever and that "The Day" is coming.

This thread will be where I discus and update background information for the AU. In time I want to add details like technical readouts (All the Galaxy's Fighting Vehicles), custom weapons (The Bench Rest) and Organizational and campaign details, like snippets from an Osprey Book (Peregrine Press Publications). but I'd like to leave this for the fluff and background.

Tomorrow, I'd like to add details of the different operative Political Alignments, the various power blocs and provide an AU-Update for what the current situation is for each faction on 31 December, 3099.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2017, 20:24:20 by beachhead1985 »
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: AU: Der Tag (The Day)
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2016, 09:06:43 »
* to clarify; None of these political alignments have anything to do with any real-world or historical political camps. In a few cases; I just liked the names and worked them in to enhance the feel I'm going for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=regl4vTld5E

Political Alignments

Republican: Ideological Supporters of the Republic; it's goals and ideals.
Nationalist: Seek to establish, maintain or enhance a national identity or goals.
Isolationist: Seek to avoid external conflict or relations.
Royalist: Seek to reclaim the lost glories of the First Star League and cling to the promises of the Second.
Contemplative: Seek to establish a new national or cultural identity or goals.
Revolutionary: Directly involved in attempting to establish a new order, in the Machiavellian sense, usually through violent means.
Militarist: Actively engaged or seeking to become engaged in conflict in order to secure certain goals.
Neutral: Dedicated to neutrality, at least ostensibly.

Explanation of Blocs

Central Powers: The Republic and their staunchest allies.
Terran Pact: Secret Alliance of those actively opposed to the Republic
Star League-in-exile/The 3rd League: Members of the eponymous 3rd Star League.
League of Non-Aligned Powers: Nations loosely allied to maintain independence and freedom of action in the face of more powerful forces.
Andurian Pact: Mutual Defence Pact among former FWL holdings; the reborn FWL in a military sense. Aiming to become a political alliance in order to regain the lost power and prestige of the lost FWL. recognixed mainly inside it's own borders. Beyond that, everyone just thinks of it as the "Free Worlds League".
New Clans: Those Clans which have opted to forge a new destiny for themselves apart from either the invasion, the cursader/warden dynamic or the homeworlds. The New Clans, unlike the True Clans are not a community per say or as yet.
Continuation Clans: Those Clans which have recommited themselves to conquest of the inner sphere.
True Clans: Those Clans which reject the tainted attitudes of the spheroid clans as a whole and seek to stay ideologically "pure"
Independent: powers not otherwise aligned to a particular bloc

Alright! Next time, we'll see who fits where! Spolier; the Republic are considered Republican.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 14:32:04 by beachhead1985 »

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2016, 11:23:25 »
I like your idea so far.  This is one of the reasons why I have kept reinventing the Dark Storm Legion timelines.  Trying to better work it out.  I had written the first two stories prior to the Jihad and the invention of the AMC so I changed it and eventually got to where I am with the reborn Hegemony-in-Exile.  If you would like any help or to bounce ideas off of let me know.  I am willing to help whenever I can.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2016, 16:17:21 »
Ping
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2016, 18:12:04 »
Ping ping
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2016, 19:16:25 »
Thanks guys! Anyone want to see what the Usual suspects are up to?

We'll look at a quick sketch of the important extant factions; their political alignment, which if any power bloc they belong to and what their relations with the 3rd Star League, such as it is, are like. Outside the 3rd League, with the exception of the Clans, people pretty much talk to eachother at the very least. As you'll see, the 3rd League is so ostracized that some nations do not even maintain or permit direct diplomatic links.

Republic of The Sphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjbUu5MaEEg

Alignment: Republican
Bloc: Central Powers

Sketch:

The Republic came out of the war strong in territory, popular and with an experienced military, swollen with a diaspora from across known space. But they made a lot of enemies with their policies during and after the war.

Relations:

Officially Neutral, maintains diplomatic links, covertly hostile. At the end of the War, the SLDF was presented with a petition signed by Devlin Stone, Khan Ward and every House Lord demanding that the SLDF either disband and turn over all equipment to the RAF or integrate under RAF control. Popular history records that Lord Protector McKenna "Refused to accede to the request." His exact words, however, were more along the lines of "Go ****** yourselves."
« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 14:39:25 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2016, 19:19:20 »
Federated Suns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iteRKvRKFA

Bloc; Central Powers

Sketch:

The Federated Suns lost heavily during the war; suffering loss in territory to secession and hostile action on all her borders and then suffered still more politically after the war in ceding more territory to build the republic. Politically the Federated Suns sees the Republic as a dangerous investment that has not yet paid off; if they pull out now they gain nothing and suffer more, but if they stay the course; they may win a brighter future in the end.

Relations:

Passively hostile, refuses to recognize. No diplomatic links.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 14:49:45 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2016, 19:21:16 »
Lyran Commonwealth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw-_Ew5bVxs

Bloc: Central Powers

Sketch:

The Lyran Commonwealth was dragged into the Central powers by reluctant leaders who needed Republican Support to rebuild their shattered economy after the war. This has come at the price of a Military divided between staunch Republican supporters and veterans and subversive nationalists coordinated and kept in check by Hiemdal.

Relations:

Actively Hostile to SLDF military forces; officially recognizes the SLDF as renegade and equivalent to pirates. Trade Links maintained, Diplomatic relations through ComStar only.

« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 14:57:27 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2016, 19:26:07 »
Draconis Combine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylyqoxh-cXk

Alignment: Officially Republican in fact Nationalist, Contemplative and Revolutionary by turns
Bloc: Officially Independent, Functionally a Terran Pact Member

Sketch:

Most realms saw things improve towards the end of the war, but in the Draconis Combine, things seem to be worse and worse every day. The real decline started at the end of the war when The Coordinator ceded Kuritan worlds to the Republic. This one move effectively set back Theodore Kurita's reforms and the support for them almost 40 years overnight. The one bright spot is that during the war the SLDF pursued a private war against the Black Dragon Society and they have yet to recover. The bad news is that everyday conservatives and regressives have stepped in to fill the void.

Relations:

Officially Neutral, does recognize the legitimacy of SLDF forces as a fiat accompli to the presence of Clan Nova Cat, maintains diplomatic links. Unofficially cooperative and practically allied through Clan Nova Cat.

« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 15:02:49 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2016, 19:28:20 »
Capellan Confederation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYb9sRLUDyM

Alignment: Nationalist
Bloc: Terran Pact

Sketch:

The war left the Capellan Confderation a damaged, angry nation; but one which had suffered a "Small Injury" in the machiavellian sense. Lacking WOB to take it out on, many Capellan leaders were almost relieved at the Republic's anexation of world's historically claimed by the Confederation as it gave the people someone to direct their anger against. In the aftermath of the war; the Confederation remains strongly united and pure of purpose; the reclaimation of their ancestral lands. Xin Sheng has weakened after the Jihad, however and the pro-chinese pressure from the government has lessened noticeably.

Relations:

Officially Allied.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2018, 19:19:58 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2016, 19:30:20 »
"Free Worlds League"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1aQvm5MrU

Alignment: Contemplative
Bloc: Andurian Pact

Sketch:

The Jihad saw the general dissolution of the FWL under internal and external pressure; the aftermath has forced the beginning of a reunification in the face of further loss of territory to the LC and CC. The current state of affairs sees the FWL more divided and less powerful and corrdinated than ever before.

Relations:

Passively hostile, but does recognize the 3rd League as a Fiat Accompli, diplomatic relations maintained through several indirect means.

« Last Edit: 01 October 2018, 16:05:41 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2016, 19:32:19 »
Taurian Concordant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4zlufbOFOo

Alignment: Nationalist/Militarist
Bloc: League of Non-Aligned Powers

Sketch:

The Taurian Concordant waxed and waned during the war; they won a lot of territory from house davion, establishing a firm buffer zone, but lost the Fronc Reaches and The Calderon Protectorate. Many Citizens are disenfranchised with the government and unconvinced the trade was worth it.

Relations:

Passively hostile, refuses to recognize. No diplomatic relations
« Last Edit: 03 October 2018, 19:23:34 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2016, 19:34:23 »
Calderon Protectorate

Alignment: Nationalist/Contemplative
Bloc: Independent

Sketch:

The vagaries of war kept the Calderon Protectorate free long enough to make it tough enough to survive on it's own. But at this stage, they have exhausted their allies and are living next door to a larger parent state, no longer diverted by the larger war and desperately in need of a way to distract the populace.

Relations:

Officially Neutral, though some subtle feelers have been put out through the 3rd leauge consulate. Privately, many in the SLDFiE high command favour Calderon-Martins as a candidate for Director-General or even first lord. A few would even like to see him spend some time in the SLDFiE's School of the Galaxy program. The Protectorate is an important trading partner.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #13 on: 06 February 2016, 19:36:09 »
Fitvelt Coalition

Alignment: Isolationist
Bloc:League of Non-Aligned Powers

Sketch:

Centuries of neglect came home to roost when most of the FedSuns outback seceded during the war. The FedSun's current leaders are at a loss, even with the war over, as to how to deal with he situation. It's debatable if the Coalition is better off now than before, but whether it is or not, at least for now; the Fitvelt Coalition is a fact of life.

Relations:

Officially positive, practically neutral, in reflection of the limited abilities of the Coalition and more about tweaking the nose of the Federated Suns than anything else. Trade is open and relations are positive.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #14 on: 06 February 2016, 21:17:37 »
SLDFiE's School of the Galaxy program.

As an aside; School of the Galaxy is like "School of the Americas". I also considered "School of Humanity" and "School of the Future". But "School of the Galaxy" Seemed to hit the right note between generic and sinister.

It's a place where the 3rd League takes in people it might make future allies and paramilitary leaders out of. All the basics of Interstellar leadership and political indoctrination, plus extra circulars like "How to Coup" and "insurgency/counter-insurgency".

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #15 on: 06 February 2016, 21:20:12 »
Magistracy of Canopus

Alignment: Republican/Nationalist
Bloc:League of Non-Aligned Powers

Sketch:

The Magistracy had a very bad war. Contrary to popular opinion, the WOB mainly pulled out because the Magistracy simply made itself totally uneconomical to occupy in the face of the wider war. The result is a devastated nation, doing whatever it can to pull itself up by the bootstraps.

Relations:

Officially Positive, despite a hostile history with the proto-SLDFiE pursuing drug and human-trafficking rings inside Canopian Space. The Magistracy received favoured trading status and has been allowed to hire various support assets for remediation at different times, as well as recieving SLDFiE Support in rebuilding the MCAF in return for vigorous pursuit of slave trading and drug trafficking within the Magistracy. Diplomatic relations are active and prosperous, with civil rights a key issue.

A.E. Housman

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2016, 02:57:37 »
Nice I like how you are fleshing out your background.  I will be releasing a Field Manuel to go along with my story which I hope will fill in the gaps some for those that are following me. 

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #17 on: 07 February 2016, 07:47:03 »
Nice I like how you are fleshing out your background.  I will be releasing a Field Manuel to go along with my story which I hope will fill in the gaps some for those that are following me.

I'm not there yet, but that's the direction I'm leaning in. Bravo!

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2016, 09:15:40 »
Fronc Reaches

Alignment: Contemplative

Sketch:

The current status of the Fronc Reaches seems to be a compromise between the two founding powers; the MOC and TC, that's basically been allowed to go on too long due to external factors like the Jihad. We're left with a state with far too many assets for it to protect with both the MOC and TC providing troops on loan to defend the territory.

Relations:

Officially Hostile, but does recognize the 3rd League. No diplomatic relations. Hostility stems from 3rd League Diplomatic Corps initiatives to have the Fronc Reachs reabsorbed by the MOC and TC.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2016, 09:18:10 »
Marian Hegemony

Sketch:

The Marian Hegemony came out of the Jihad broken on the wheel of events, but they have moved quickly to avoid be swallowed up as either a republic protectorate or through FWL predation.

Relations:

Officially Neutral, functionally positive, good trade relations, SLDF Advisors serve with the MHAF and the structure of the SLDF is based partly on the MHAF. After the war, 3rd League remediation efforts were noted throughout the Hegemony by the public in neighbouring nations. Officially recognizes the SLDF and 3rd Leauge as legitimate. 3rd Leauge Diplomats and SLDF forces were instrumental in securing the non-aggression pact between the Marians and the Niops Association before the later's formal induction into the 3rd league.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #20 on: 07 February 2016, 09:19:39 »
Rim Collection

Bloc: Star League-In Exile/3rd League

Sketch:

The Rim Collection benefited greatly during the Jihad from their informal alliance with the SLDFiE. They gained economically from supporting the SLDFiE and were spared much of the destruction they would otherwise have suffered.

Relations:

3rd League Member State. Relations generally positive with other member-states, relations with the 3rd League itself and the SLDF in particular very positive.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #21 on: 07 February 2016, 09:21:04 »
Tortuga Dominions

Alignment: Militarist

Sketch:

Piracy Prospered during the war and despite seeing hostile invasion several times; the Tortuga Dominions made out well.

Relations:

Officially hostile, recognizes the 3rd League as a direct threat. Pirate bands on Tortuga have one of two outlooks; digging in for what they see as the inevitable SLDF assault and forsaking the support and assets Tortuga offers for less dangerous climes. The overall attitude among most is that a train is coming in and they are about to be under it.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #22 on: 07 February 2016, 09:24:33 »
Alfirk

Sketch:

Alfirk was basically a lost colony with contact with the rest of known space only through ComStar and basically a quietly-kept secret. During the War the SLDF inherited it for all intents and purposes and used it as a staging area; building it up as an emergency fallback position for a worst-case scenario. As a result Alfirk society was basically transformed during the Jihad, culminating in it's foundation as a 3rd League Member state at the end of the war.

Relations:

3rd League Member state. Relations guarded; many citizens of Alfirk basically saw the coming of the SLDF as a occupation and the reforms that followed as an act almost hostile in it's aggression. This is changing slowly over time, as more and more citizens come to either accept these rapid changes as their fate, or see the advantages of membership in the 3rd League. A minority of Alfirk citizens are fanatical supporters of the 3rd League and dedicated adherants of it's tenants. The so-called "Historians" movement looks on Alfirk as leading a blessed existence; having missed almost all the major conflicts of the last 400 years and now having stumbled into the protective embrace of a comparatively egalitarian (so it seems to them) and very prosperous alliance and it's very capable armed forces.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #23 on: 07 February 2016, 09:28:21 »
Chainelane Isles

Sketch:

A one-time vassal state of Clan Diamond Shark, the Isles became a default 3rd League member state at the end of the Jihad. The Isles had been living under a loose state of terror, which is only slowly relaxing. The overall feeling had been that total and oppressive clan occupation was only a matter of time. Falling under the auspices of the 3rd League and SLDF-driven nation-building has allowed the Isles a period of reformation which would otherwise have been impossible. Oddly, given the choice; the Isles have become a leading source of recruits petitioning to join the 3rd League's Clan Member states.

Relations:

3rd League Member State. Relations stilted as a result of the high degree of restructuring required for Member-Statehood. Governments are only marginally functional, but trade is good. SLDF forces are welcomed, but have to be especially cautions of theft and corruption from civilians and municiple government and law enforcement.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #24 on: 07 February 2016, 09:30:37 »
Jarnfolk

Sketch:

The Jarnfolk have been expanding their trading empire; seeking to avoid conflict with the Diamond Sharks by staying out of their way for now. No one really knows how the sharks would react to honest competition. What's changed is some development with the Jarnfolk clan's ship building capability; it seems to have expanded recently with number of obviously newer hulls and new technology, with LF-batteries sticking out like sore thumbs. Where they got this tech is unknown, but they are known to have had contact with WOB, ComStar and the 3rd League.

Relations:

Officialy Neutral. Recognizes the 3rd League in a "call yourselves whatever you want; so long as your money is good" sort of way. Relations spotty, but known to have stepped up intelligence gathering activities along with trading.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #25 on: 07 February 2016, 09:32:42 »
Hanseatic League

Sketch:

The Hansa have been expending their trading range; they have made contact with the home-world clans and are attempting to fill the void left by the diamond sharks, while at the same time, they have learned to curb their aggressively competitive nature and made a semblance of peace with the sharks. The Hansa lack the technological sophistication of the Sharks, but are becoming more prevalent in the former FWL and spin-ward periphery. Good intelligence indicates that the Hansa have a limited source of new jumpships. The Hansa have contacted the League of Non-Aligned Powers with interest in membership. They are interested in trade and technological exchange.

Relations:

Neutral. Recognizes the League and is happy to trade when possible.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #26 on: 07 February 2016, 09:34:34 »
Auximite Providence

Sketch:

The Auximite Providence has only recently re-entered the interstellar stage with their entrance into the League of Non-Aligned Powers. They have little technology or infrastructure, but are primarily focused on art, agriculture and theology.

Relations:

"Neutral". Refuses to recognize the 3rd League or trade.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #27 on: 07 February 2016, 09:37:54 »
Coreward Confederacy

Sketch:

The confederacy is a decent-sized deep-periphery realm, highly xenophobic and crippled by bureaucracy. technology is primitive; roughly Terran-Alliance levels, but they have recently upgraded their sole Jumpship refit-facility to full-functionality. They cannot build jumpships, yet, but they can now repair and maintain all they have. Unfortunately the facility is compromised by over-staffing and miss-management.

Relations:

Officially Neutral, but refuses to recognize the 3rd League or trade.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #28 on: 07 February 2016, 09:40:15 »
Niops Association

Alignment: Royalist

Sketch:

There wouldn't be a Niops Association today if it were not for the 3rd league. Never mind they wouldn't be as free, happy and productive as they are either. The old regime is long, long gone and most of Niops citizens are happy not to have to take part in government if they don't want to; verses the old system where it was mandatory based on your intelligence. The culture is extremely technocratic and many would rather work than fight or govern.

Relations:

Firm Royalists. Relations excellent. Trade prosperpous. Extensive R&D centre. Vulnerable geographically, but as militarilly secure as possible.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #29 on: 07 February 2016, 09:43:50 »
Fiefdom of Randis

Alignment: Royalist
Bloc: Fiefdom of Randis

Sketch:

The Fiefdom of Randis espouses values that make it a good fit for the 3rd League and once the Brotherhood was assured they would a) not be required to disband as a military order, b) not be required to sit down and become politicians and bureaucrats and c) allowed to continue their mission as they see fit within the broad framework of the 3rd League; they were enthusiastic signatories.

Relations:

Practical Royalists; the 3rd League stands for the same kind, if not *the* same values as the Brotherhood. Relations are only hampered by the extremely hands-off nature of government in the Fiefdom, but trade is good, as are most of the nascent industries; mainly due to the Brotherhood view of such things: "first; do  no harm, Second; do good, Third; make all the money you like." The trick now is keeping the Brotherhood from biting off more than they can chew.

A.E. Housman