Author Topic: [Reader Discussion Area!!!] Forgotten Worlds - The (Semi-Official) Finale  (Read 26823 times)

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
Is there a Forgotten Worlds Book 1 & 2?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
See the link in Roosterboy's post above...

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Hello all!

Just a note that the third chapter of Book 3 is now posted, and it's arguably the most exciting yet! Like Chapter 2, it was too big to go through in a single post, and so it was split into two posts!

Enjoy!

- Herb

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Nicely written, the story of Bob fit well into their discussion.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

cawest

• Captain
man I had to go back in re-read the first two books.  GREAT Work!!!!! can not wait for the next chapter.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Glad you're all enjoying it!

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
And now, Chapter 4 is up! Another one delivered in two parts, because this book was evidently written a BIT bigger than the last two.

Sorry for the delay folks, but I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you that there have been some distractions happening behind the scenes!

And, country music fans, I hope you like a throwaway reference made in this one!

Thanks,

- Herb

cawest

• Captain
to funny.  like this one and understand how RL gets in the way with hobbies.   >:D

Frabby

• Major
Keep 'em coming Herb!

Note about the Hera's Shield: Unions are 3,600 tons, not 3,000.
(And Danais-based wannabe Unions aka Trojans like the Phobos are 3,200 tons.)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Keep 'em coming Herb!

Note about the Hera's Shield: Unions are 3,600 tons, not 3,000.
(And Danais-based wannabe Unions aka Trojans like the Phobos are 3,200 tons.)

Gah! Dopey me! How did I miss that one?

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I missed it too... sorry about that Herb!  :-[

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
I don't like blame-shifting though. The original error is mine.

And I fixed it, so we're all good.

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Hi all!

Chapter 5 will be delayed until... well, sometime later. Maybe today. Maybe tomorrow. For now, I must nap!

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Okay, I'm awake now....

And Chapter 5 has been posted, in two parts.

At this stage, folks, I think I should level with you all. Soon after posting the first chapter of this book as fanfic, a friend still working with CGL approached me about possibly buying the book, explaining that they would have made the offer sooner had they known I was even working on it. (Since formal communications between myself and the company have been severed for the better part of three years now, that would have been somewhat difficult, but que sera sera, right?)

Now, while I still have some misgivings about some folks at the top of the lines, the logical side of my mind not only convinced me that selling a story is better for my bottom line than giving it away for free, AND doing so would also have the perk of making this story official in the truest sense. Heck, it might even find its way to bookstores somehow, which is also rather nice. And so, we hammered out terms by the time I posted the second chapter.

But here's where it got interesting... Though terms have been nominally settled, one of mine was that I would continue to post the chapters, one per week, as I promised YOU all when this whole affair began. Only after we (CGL and I) have a signed contract between us will I deliver the whole book to them, and only THEN would I stop posting chapters here, explaining to you kind folks why that would have to be (mainly the fact that ownership of the story will have changed the moment I signed on the dotted lines). After that, either TPTB would have the posted chapters removed or left up as a teaser, depending on what the company overlords decided, but otherwise, the finale would go "dark" until its eventual official publication.

As of this point--three more posted chapters later--there remains no signed contract. And so you folks are still getting your free chapters once a week. There are just four more to go, however, and the longer we go, the greater the chance that a deal will either get inked, or be abandoned. If abandoned, you get the whole story free here as fanfic. If we ink the deal, the story is property of CGL and goes into canon alongside the first two books.

Now, I'm not sure which way you folks would prefer this to go down, but mark my words that I remain committed to the promise I made at the start of this whole affair, and thus I will continue to post chapters here as long as the story remains wholly mine. If we make it to the epilogue, though, know that the story may never be entered as canon, and I will never see dime one for all the time put into this final book. That's okay by me, since I didn't expect anything like that when I posted these chapters, but I don't know how it settles for you guys.

Either way, the fact that this is going on is at least part of why my last few chapters didn't post right away every Monday; I was giving the other party a little extra time to send me a contract. I also like to sleep a LOT these days.

Just wanted you all to know what's up.

Now, go and enjoy chapter 5!

- Herb

Frabby

• Major
Ink the deal! Speaking for myself, I'd greatly prefer this being proper canon over free "fanfic" and I'll buy this in a heartbeat.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Agreed - let us throw c-bills at you!
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Even if you get to the end here, there's absolutely no reason it couldn't later be published.  That's how the The Martian happened, after all.  Best of luck getting a contract signed!  :thumbsup:

Charbok

• Sergeant
The backbone of Battletech is good fiction, and that good fiction has always sprung from the mad, sprawling work set down three decades ago.  There's not a game company today that would put out something like those original House books, five volumes of background and setting materials with nary a rule in sight.

What's drawn me back, time and again, is good fiction, and intriguing world expansion.  Herb's work is absolutely a big part of this.  This story makes me feel like I did the first time I fell down the rabbit hole reading Interstellar Players after a decade away from the game, or TRO 3050 blowing my mind with the Clan invasion when I was in High School, or the first time I read the original Mechwarrior's history of the universe at 13 years old.

I hope that you get a bucket of C-Bills for your story.  It's an intense read so far, and I'll gladly pony up for the conclusion.  If not, well, shame on the powers that be, and not for the first time.

Thanks for shepherding a fictional universe I've loved since I was young, and thanks for sharing this story.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Thanks for the kind words, folks, but just a clarification or two:

The terms are agreed on, but I haven't signed the deal because, well, the contract has yet to get to me. As long as it doesn't, the free chapters will keep coming.

The deal is basically for a one-time payment, like a BattleCorps sale or any sourcebook work. There won't be residuals, but do NOT let that stop you from buying it if/when it gets published. I know I probably will!

Aaaaaaand that's all I got.  8)

- Herb

Easy

• Warrant Officer
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 14:11:29 by Easy »

Drunkninja

• Corporal
Awesome to see you writing honestly!

mikecj

• Major
So if the Lyran's didn't hit Jardine, who did?

If it was them, what evidence did ComStar plant to make them do such a deep raid?

And how many other worlds did ComStar try to make into Hidden?
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

cawest

• Captain
if they do pick up your story "late"  you can add TRO page for some of the items and add a chapter or three about things going on outside of the main story that might fill in holes or add more plot hooks. 

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
This is why there is no new BattleCorps. Every story deal CGL makes has to read like a Shadowrun campaign so that there is an adequate paper trail.

If only that were the ONLY hassle....

Awesome to see you writing honestly!

Thanks! Enjoy it while it lasts!

So if the Lyran's didn't hit Jardine, who did?

If it was them, what evidence did ComStar plant to make them do such a deep raid?

And how many other worlds did ComStar try to make into Hidden?

At least in Jardine's case, I was planning to reveal the whole story in a Touring the Stars segment. But then, things fell apart. I'll let you imagine the rest. As to how many ComStar tried to hide? It's important to remember how young the Order was at the time, and how limited its resources. So, it wasn't too many. The Five were the primaries, though.

if they do pick up your story "late"  you can add TRO page for some of the items and add a chapter or three about things going on outside of the main story that might fill in holes or add more plot hooks. 

Nothing in this story is really any different than what's already been published in TROs. The Mech, fighter, battle armor, and DropShip units are all canonical models and variants. The follow-on story, well, that was never fully fleshed out, and I'd worry about making it all work, once the details come into play. (As it was, I think I started the whole adventure far too late, timeline-wise, considering that I wanted it all resolved BEFORE the Jihad launches, and the epilogue happens to take place pretty much as the war starts up. This means Apollyon's chase has to start immediately, and everyone has about 3 months to reach Donegal, where things really get interesting--and some fun crossovers happen with another story I wrote--and then we need to get to Moore within a year, across an Inner Sphere already in the throes of wide-spread war. It'd be exhausting, I tell ya!)

But, again, if I get no contract, you all at least get to enjoy a free story, albeit one that CGL policy won't accept as canon!

- Herb

Drunkninja

• Corporal
Well, I hope you get a contract because everyones bottom line is important.  If not, it being canon isn't as important as you getting to tell a story you wanted to.  It's why I keep working on mine.  People are enjoying it and I want to create it.  It'll never be canon but it doesn't need to be.  As long as someone enjoys it then its worth while and I get to design a roller coaster along the way.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Ohayo!

Another week without a contract, another free chapter for you guys!

Book 3, Chapter 6 is now live! Hope you all enjoy!

- Herb

cawest

• Captain
I see a little star wars reference.  just have to stay out of the garbage shut. 

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Yyyyyyup!

;)

- Herb

mikecj

• Major
You almost owed me a new keyboard for that one!

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Wait till you find the next ref!

- Herb