Author Topic: Tricks to speeding up gameplay?  (Read 12754 times)

-Ice

• Sergeant
Tricks to speeding up gameplay?
« on: 18 April 2014, 19:35:15 »
I'm sure this has been mentioned before but my quick search hasn't yielded the thread I was looking for here it goes:

What are the tricks you use to speed up gameplay?   At the moment, we are using colored dice to aid in remembering movement mode and distance.  Walking mechs get a white die, with the pips showing how much it would add to the attacker's to-hit TN.  Running mechs get red dice and jumping mechs had black dice.  It made calculating TNs easier for both sides.  I also remember a suggestion wherein each mech would get a popsicle stick for each weapon it had and the controlling player would lay each out as he declared fire, pointing towards the target.  I guess that's what I'm going to try next.

I'm hoping to figure out something that'll help us keep track of heat levels easier.  Maybe a cork board and each mech would have it's own colored pin?

Cambo

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Sergeant
Re: Tricks to speeding up gameplay?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2014, 20:39:47 »
The usual answers to this question are quite trite:
1) Learn the Hit Location Table... there used to be a flash card type ios game for this, but it's disappeared.  The fact remains knowing that a hit location roll of 5 = leg will save a lot of time, the side hits are rarer, but focus on the front/back part.  As a stop gap measure for this, use SSW and make sure your record sheets are printed with the tables.  (it's an option in the print preview page in both SSW and BFB).  Having the cluster hit table, the hit location table, the punch/kick tables on each record sheet is a huge bonus - the to hit modifiers maybe not so much.  Also the "Cheat Sheets" from the boxed sets are a great help here as well.

To a lesser extent, memorise the cluster to hit table... There are players in my group who have it mostly memorised (the 6, 15, 20 columns are the mainstays)

2) Play with initiative orders.  In larger games a phased initiative is a must, or in mele games, the playing card initiative system can be life savers.  Nothing slows a game down more than "should I move this unit, or that unit?..."  followed closely by "I move 2, you move 1 now, right?"

3) If you're playing with missile boats, or LBX-10's or 20's, make a "box of death" like this one, but with d6.  Make sure you specify the order of the cubicles before hand, and make sure you know which color dice is controlling(for crits) or first(for single d6 rolls).

As to heat levels, again the SSW sheets have a great feature of the total heat and total dissipation of each unit, but since it's only totalled once per turn, it usually isn't that big of an impedance on the games I play.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2014, 20:45:19 »
Hi,

An easy trick now would be to use Alpha Strike. Removes all the extra record-keeping, simplifies every aspect of combat, and makes it possible to complete a battalion-scale fight in less time than it takes to play a game of Monopoly.

Thanks,

- Nobody of any Significance

noisenerd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2014, 22:11:39 »
I found an android app called BT Dice Roller that handles hit locations, etc., really helps with cluster hits (and was free). Not sure, but I would imagine there's gotta be a PC equivalent, if either of those is an option for you.

There is a thread here concerning "quick kill rules", a couple of basic ideas discussed there were making it easier to hit or cause criticals and/or making weapons do more damage. The group I play with uses increased damage, seems to help without ruining the feel.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2014, 23:59:14 »
Mark your heat for mechs as you declare fire .

If any outside effects alter your heat then mark them immediately as
they happen .

This way when the actual heat phase occurs -all you have to do is roll
for any effects that heat will cause .

I've had people actually argue that it's the wrong way to do it but
most experienced players that I've known do the same .

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2014, 00:58:18 »
Technically, as written it's wrong but everyone I've played with does it that way.

I'll be honest, without sounding like a shill Alpha Strike. If you want the full Battletech experience you won't save that much time no matter what.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2014, 01:54:46 »
Alpha. Strike. :)

ntin

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2014, 01:59:13 »
For my aToW group we skip the attack declaration step in the Weapon Attack Phase and Physical Attack Phase. Lowest initiative resolves first. There is a certain strategic nuance that is lost but it simplifies combat and speeds up turns, for us quite a bit.

I would second Alpha Strike though for one off games. It is satisfying getting company vs. company battle, finished in an hour or two.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2014, 12:39:09 »
The usual answers to this question are quite trite:
1) Learn the Hit Location Table... there used to be a flash card type ios game for this, but it's disappeared.  The fact remains knowing that a hit location roll of 5 = leg will save a lot of time, the side hits are rarer, but focus on the front/back part.  As a stop gap measure for this, use SSW and make sure your record sheets are printed with the tables.  (it's an option in the print preview page in both SSW and BFB).  Having the cluster hit table, the hit location table, the punch/kick tables on each record sheet is a huge bonus - the to hit modifiers maybe not so much.  Also the "Cheat Sheets" from the boxed sets are a great help here as well.

Yes. Oh, goodness yes. This sped things up quite a bit for me and my buddy. We have to quickly refresh ourselves the first time we play, but then it's pretty easy after that.

Another things that helps is learning how to count hexes for ranges quickly. It's something I learned from my SFB playing friends. Sadly, I don't know how to explain it easily, so here's an image for it.

Unit A is firing at Unit B. The red count is the typical way most people play when they first learn to play games with hexes. The black count is the fastest way to actually count it out. I don't know how to word rules for it, I think someone else could explain it better than I can.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2014, 12:44:31 by Azakael »

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2014, 12:43:38 »
Move more than one unit during initiative. This is assuming you're using large forces. We play with 12 or more units all the time so, we tend to move them by thirds of quarters. So if someone has 16 units we'll move four at a time while the other guy with 12 would move 3.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2014, 13:38:41 »

3) If you're playing with missile boats, or LBX-10's or 20's, make a "box of death" like this one, but with d6.  Make sure you specify the order of the cubicles before hand, and make sure you know which color dice is controlling(for crits) or first(for single d6 rolls).

Our group has srarted to use one of those for every attacking mech. Two sets of colored dice per box (mine has red and white). I declare I will fire two large lasers an SRM6 and an AC 10 for example. Red for attack white fir location. Shake the box and read the first four boxes. Even if it is a cluster weapon I have it covered in my dice boxes as the bottom 4 boxes are black dice. For the above SRM6 attack, if red dice sgnified a hit, the white would then be cluster, anc tge black dice location. If I score a crit, regular dice are hand rolled as these are iften one of as opposed to all the time.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Mulsiphix

• Sergeant
    • Talislanta - Still No Elves!
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2014, 13:52:56 »
Unit A is firing at Unit B. The red count is the typical way most people play when they first learn to play games with hexes. The black count is the fastest way to actually count it out. I don't know how to word rules for it, I think someone else could explain it better than I can.
Using the same diagram you have, what if A and B were at opposite sides of the map (left and right) and only a few rows of hexes between them vertically. That would make the black count super short but the red count would be much larger. Does this method work in that situation and I am just not understanding properly?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2014, 13:55:57 »
The way that method works is you count out the number of hexes it takes for you to get to a vertically intersecting row of hexes.  It simulates the 'bubble' of range around your 'Mech.  If you count 9 hexes down and to the right, and you trace the vertical hexrow you end up on, every single hex in that row is 9 hexes from your 'Mech.  Make sense?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Mulsiphix

• Sergeant
    • Talislanta - Still No Elves!
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2014, 13:59:20 »
The way that method works is you count out the number of hexes it takes for you to get to a vertically intersecting row of hexes.  It simulates the 'bubble' of range around your 'Mech.  If you count 9 hexes down and to the right, and you trace the vertical hexrow you end up on, every single hex in that row is 9 hexes from your 'Mech.  Make sense?
Is it always correct? There are so many instances where the string I use to judge spacing will hit two or three hexes all next to each other. A situation only corner edges could create. That is awesome if this works all the time!  :D

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2014, 14:28:21 »
It works all the time.  Basically, imagine a hexagonal bubble around your 'Mech.  Whatever hexes are on the 'edge' of that bubble are that range from your 'Mech.  If your bubble extends six hexes in any direction, then anything on the edge (but inside) the bubble will be six hexes away.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2014, 17:28:44 »
Thanks for the replies guys!

Hit Location Table - I see the idea here but for something like that, I prefer to reference something.  At the moment, we are counting with our fingers and referencing the hit table and we are getting faster and faster with doing the maths.  The only annoyance is that the table is on the other side of the cardboard/sheet that came with the box set.  Kinda lame having to look at one side for the TN modifiers then look at the other side to see where you hit.

I haven't touched SSW (solaris skunkworks, right?) for ages!!  I do remember the "improved TRO" and will try that again!

Initiative order - we do play this, or at least I think we do.  Low initiative player goes first and alternates, right?  However, the player can move any mech (or chose not to move any mech).  Sometimes, I'd like to move my scout first to see how the other guy would react, sometimes I'd like to move my scout last to take advantage of a rear-shot opportunity.

Box of death - this sounds sweet... or rather noisy!  I can see how it helps though!  Thanks!

Alpha Strike - we will try this system out, and with the recommendations here, I guess it'll be sooner rather than later but I was initially looking for tips to speed up the "classic" BattleTech game, not Alpha Strike/Quick Strike/BF2.

Heat - at the moment, we do heat after each unit fires.  Basically, each mech declares attacks and resolves them, then we do heat management.... weapon fire + movement + previous heat - heat sink = end-of-turn heat level.  What we seem to always forget is to check heat level before moving and firing.  Sometimes we forget to do heat management after attacks too, especially when things get exciting.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2014, 22:55:01 »
Something to consider, each side has a minute per mech for movement & fire declaration.

If it's 4 on 4 each side has 4 minutes. If first player takes 3 minutes then the rest of the lance only has a minute total. If you run out of time those mechs don't move/fire that turn. Enforce it, the players will pick it up fast.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2014, 00:58:53 »
Something to consider, each side has a minute per 'Mech for movement & fire declaration.

If it's 4 on 4 each side has 4 minutes. If first player takes 3 minutes then the rest of the lance only has a minute total. If you run out of time those 'Mechs don't move/fire that turn. Enforce it, the players will pick it up fast.

I have been thinking about this for a while. Perhaps with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Crest-Analog-Wood-Expressions/dp/B0017YT3S8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397972978&sr=8-2&keywords=chess+clocks
Has anyone done this?

Another time saving trick not mentioned so far: Warhammer 40K 2nd Ed was far slower than Warhammer 40K 3rd because you could role a handful of dice at once. The BattleTech equivalent is play with several distinguishable sets of dice so you can role a handful at once. Just remember to declare.

Lastly, movement dice. I have replaced all torso turn markers with dice. The number on the dice also displays the target movement modifier for my opponent, with 6 = no mod (or ask if you have a really long jump).

My last 4v4 table top game ran 2.5 < t < 3 hours, and had at least 12 turns because ammo started running low.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2014, 01:00:40 by S.gage »
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2014, 08:14:14 »
For my aToW group we skip the attack declaration step in the Weapon Attack Phase and Physical Attack Phase. Lowest initiative resolves first. There is a certain strategic nuance that is lost but it simplifies combat and speeds up turns, for us quite a bit.

I would second Alpha Strike though for one off games. It is satisfying getting company vs. company battle, finished in an hour or two.

Used to play skipping the attack declaration phase. Back then we kind of thought people would be cool about it instead of abuse the hell out of it. What ended up happening is that certain people would just throw everything at a particular target until it was dead, regardless of how unlikely the pilot of the 10th firing unit would target that one unit. Others would target units based upon proximity, what that unit was likely to do in the next few turns, and also target numbers. What ended up happening was that units would die faster being hammered by one player's entire force instead of the one or two that made sense to target the unit.

It is unfortunate that the phase is really needed to keep people honest by forcing them to think about who they should target and with what. If they want to throw everything at a specific target, that's fine since there are times that the target is dead by the 2nd unit's firing phase and all of that player's units are now wasting ammo, building up heat, all while loosing out on a chance to put damage on another target. It becomes a gamble, as it should be. It is a bit closer to being a double blind game, which sounds as though it would be the most difficult setting, if we were to think of it as a video game.

As for ways to speed up the game, movement dice. Just in case it wasn't said 20 times already, using a d6 next to a unit that has moved to show it's movement modifier helps other players make a decision while taking little of your own attention away from the game. I have been thinking of getting the smaller D6s in a few colors to indicate the method of movement, walking, running, and jumping. Doing so would help you with calculating target numbers since you don't have try and remember how it got there.

Have your forces pre-printed. Have a cover sheet that shows the list of the force and their battlevalues. It is hard to question a force's point value when it you see the breakdown in front of you. Having it all ready to go also avoids spending time picking units before a game, something we did all of the time which ate up at least an hour. It was part of the fun of the game, but time went by fast.

Have maps, or terrain ready to go. If you are going to use random maps/terrain, have a system to roll or allow players to help select it but make sure it is randomly placed so that no one can come in with an optimized force and drop them on optimized terrain. There is always that one guy that will do it.

Know where you are going to be starting the game. Some people will start at the edge, some will start in a corner. Someone will try to start 10 hexes in right next to that piece of terrain that is optimized for their optimized force. Pick a side, how many hexes deep,and if that half hex at the edge of the map counts or not, cuase someone will ask.

Think about how you are going to use your force before you ever get to the table. No plan is going to survive, we all know the phrase, but knowing how your units are supposed to work together will help you speed up the changes to your plan that you need to make. It will help you figure out where to move, when to move there, and how to move there.

Don't spend your time sitting around waiting for the other person to finish their move before you decide what to do. Yes, it sounds like what I just said, but spend your free time thinking about what you are going to do based upon a general idea of what the other guy is goign to do. This way you don't need to wait for him to put the mini down and tell you its your turn to move before you start thinking about how to adjust for his movement. Knowing where you are going is one way to scare the heck out of someone, which can be counter productive, but it saves times.

KNow your units! Regardless if you do use the weapon declaration phase or not, knowing which weapons you can fire without over heating is a good thing. Knowing which weapons you and over heat by X amount is even better. Knowing what weapons you can fire and overheat by X amount, and what not to fire for Y amount of turns afterwards so that you can bring your heat down while still remaining effective, and knowing where to go for cover if needed, is far better! Sometimes it is worth the overheat to fire those medium lasers at long range when you know the chances are slim. other times its just a damn waste that will make you pay for the move as you try and cool off when you need those mediums the most.

download the pdfs here that have the target modifiers, missile cluster hit table, and hit locations and print them up. The less you need to deal with the book, the better. Having that information at the ready will shave minutes off the game. You will eventually start to remember chunks of the information.

There is only so much you can do about speeding up the game. The dice rolling and movement of minis takes up time no matter what. What you can change is how you go about it. There are those players that wait until you d something before they start to think of what to do next. They will take several minutes to move a unit and even then wait to see if you respond, then try to move it all over again because it was wrong though they spent 5 minutes deciding. Somehow a snap decision is always the right one for such a player, at least in their mind. No matter how much you try you will hit a point where you end up being that guy. the goal should be to avoid being that guy, and honestly that comes with the risk of making a bad move, but if you view it as practice then its not such a big deal. It is a game afterall.

I won't say go play alpha strike. It might be a good variant of BT, and I might get into it at some point, but I personally like the standard scale of the game. I like the record keeping, the scatter of damage. I like that stuff, I just hate how much time people can burn going through it, and I hate how much time I can take when I hit those points where I cannot help but take time to rethink a move that I know is going to have a serious influence on the rest of the game.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2014, 08:45:49 »
I was thinking about adding Alpha Strike rules into BattleTech to speed things up.

Something like this:

Movement

- You have the same Walk/Run/Jump MP and movement is made like Alpha Strike.  So if you're 6/9/6, you can choose either mode of movement, and the modifiers would be +2/+3/+3 with the same effects as in BattleTech.  This way, you're not waiting for someone trying to get the highest modifier out of their movement.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 20 April 2014, 09:22:27 »
Ah, so "movement dice" is the name for that trick:
At the moment, we are using colored dice to aid in remembering movement mode and distance.  Walking mechs get a white die, with the pips showing how much it would add to the attacker's to-hit TN.  Running mechs get red dice and jumping mechs had black dice.  It made calculating TNs easier for both sides.

StoneRhino, thanks for the lengthy post!  Very helpful and not just for BattleTech.  I've ran across some of those points on other games as well like Pathfinder and Warhammer 40K.  It just makes sense across the board.

I am not very keen on some of the suggestions simply because we (me and my 11 year old son) are new to the game and a few moments of tactial thinking is more valuable to me than rushing through the game.  If everything goes well, we will be introducing the game to a few other kids so that again brings new players to the table and I would like to promote tactical thinking over blind rushing.  Time taken up for tactical thinking is good, time taken up arguing about how far a mech moved, what TN modifiers are, and so on is not good that is why I just love the movement dice trick.

I'm surprised there are no other tricks that deal with attack declaration though.  I would've thought that some rule-strict player would enforce the rules-as-written with regards to attack declaration and damage resolution.

Having said all of this, I am quite excited to try Alpha Strike and see how it fits into how we want to play BattleTech.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 20 April 2014, 09:35:30 »
Alpha Strike is fun, but I'm not sure how playing it will help speed up the play of a CBT game.  If anything I'd think playing two games at the same time would just slow you down even more.   ???

Couple tricks my group has used.

- Keep some paper handy.  After the movement phase everyone write down their targets, what weapons are firing, and what you need to hit.  This is faster than everyone taking turns figuring out their mods.   Each player in turn then resolves all their fire at once.

- During the first few turns where everyone is moving into position and not doing much more than long rang pot shots, move more than one  mech at a time.  For example, if you both have 8 units then in the first turn, both sides move a full lance.  Next couple turns, move two mechs at a time.   Usually once the action heats up we go back to one at a time, but if we're strapped for time we'll keep doing 2 at a time.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #22 on: 20 April 2014, 13:06:22 »
- Keep some paper handy.  After the movement phase everyone write down their targets, what weapons are firing, and what you need to hit.  This is faster than everyone taking turns figuring out their mods.   Each player in turn then resolves all their fire at once.

This works very well, but since you don't see the rolls, people can cheat. I some of my friends started rolling an unexpectedly large number of 10s and 11s...  >:(
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 20 April 2014, 13:13:36 »
You misunderstand.  He's not saying to roll right then and there, merely to write everything down so you're not spending precious time calculating all sorts of numbers when you could instead be rolling dice.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 20 April 2014, 14:09:00 »
All you're writing down is who's shooting who, with what weapons, and what they need to hit.   All rolls are still handled one unit at a time and if someone's target number is suspiciously low, you can always ask how they came up with that number.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #25 on: 20 April 2014, 16:26:18 »
More thoughts:

With regards to writing down, I do that for every mech (I am often the "GM" in our group's MERC Campaign, so I run more than 1 mech). I calculate out what that mech needs to hit with WALK, RUN, & JUMP for SHORT/MED/LONG ranges. So I would have a chart like the following:

Gun 4:

WALK: 5/7/9
RUN: 6/8/10
JUMP: 7/9/11

Thus all I need to do is look at an enemy mech in the attack phase and see, OK, they have a move Modifier of 2, and 8 hexes away, so Med range for Weapon X, I Ran so I need an attack roll of 10's to hit.

Less calculating needing to be done.

But to make our battles a little quicker we have also gone the route of ALPHA STRIKE. No Attacker penalty for move except jump, and defender gets a Move equal to their walk speed, but does not need to account for hexside changes. So a mech with a Movement of 5/8/5, has a Move of 5/5j, and a Def of 2 (just like alpha strike). We've allowed mechs to sprint for up to 2 extra hexes of movement, but requires a Pilot roll to not fall. We still have pilot rolls for entering water, entering buildings etc. But by removing the Hexside cost to movement certain individuals in our group don;t take 5 minutes to try and get the absolute 'perfect' move for their speed 4/6 mech  :-\
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #26 on: 21 April 2014, 08:04:05 »
Hit Location Table - I see the idea here but for something like that, I prefer to reference something.  At the moment, we are counting with our fingers and referencing the hit table and we are getting faster and faster with doing the maths.  The only annoyance is that the table is on the other side of the cardboard/sheet that came with the box set.  Kinda lame having to look at one side for the TN modifiers then look at the other side to see where you hit.
Xerox the relevant tables. Cut out from your paper and paste to the inside of a manila folder. Then you just open the folder to see what you need. (You can also store your record sheets and other printouts in the folder.)

Box of death - this sounds sweet... or rather noisy!  I can see how it helps though!  Thanks!

Noise can be handled by lining the bottom of each compartment with sticky backed felt from a craft store. Duct tape could work too, but I haven't tried that.

Heat - at the moment, we do heat after each unit fires.  Basically, each mech declares attacks and resolves them, then we do heat management.... weapon fire + movement + previous heat - heat sink = end-of-turn heat level.  What we seem to always forget is to check heat level before moving and firing.  Sometimes we forget to do heat management after attacks too, especially when things get exciting.
Some people use paperclips on the heat tracker scale. Just slide up/down as required. Plus it's harder to ignore because your record sheet has a little more weight to it.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

-Ice

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 21 April 2014, 09:01:25 »
Paperclips is an excellent idea!!  O0

I'm thinking of Photoshopping the relevant tables together.  Unfortunately, I cannot just copy-paste the tables from the book, they are too big.  I need to see if I can work with the tables from the sheet that came with the box set.  If nothing else, I'll probably go to Excel and make a new layout myself.

NeonKnight's "pre-calculated" tables looks very nice too --- it cuts out a few steps from the TN calculation process.  I'll be sure to try that on my next game, along with some paperclips for heat.

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 21 April 2014, 12:13:22 »
I was thinking about adding Alpha Strike rules into BattleTech to speed things up.

Something like this:

Movement

- You have the same Walk/Run/Jump MP and movement is made like Alpha Strike.  So if you're 6/9/6, you can choose either mode of movement, and the modifiers would be +2/+3/+3 with the same effects as in BattleTech.  This way, you're not waiting for someone trying to get the highest modifier out of their movement.
Now that is a really good idea. Especially if you play on 3d terrain. I think I'll give this a try.

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #29 on: 22 April 2014, 12:08:09 »
But to make our battles a little quicker we have also gone the route of ALPHA STRIKE. No Attacker penalty for move except jump, and defender gets a Move equal to their walk speed, but does not need to account for hexside changes. So a mech with a Movement of 5/8/5, has a Move of 5/5j, and a Def of 2 (just like alpha strike). We've allowed mechs to sprint for up to 2 extra hexes of movement, but requires a Pilot roll to not fall. We still have pilot rolls for entering water, entering buildings etc. But by removing the Hexside cost to movement certain individuals in our group don;t take 5 minutes to try and get the absolute 'perfect' move for their speed 4/6 mech  :-\

I've done a similar idea, except I kept the cost for hex facing changes and used a Mech's running movement for the actual move (while still using walking movement to calculate defensive modifier, so to use your example, a Mech with a movement of 5/8/5 becomes a move of 8/5j, with a defensive modifier of 2).  I can see how not worrying about the hex facing changes could speed it up further, but personally I liked keeping it in.  Originally I was in favour of cutting out all piloting rolls, but I'm still working out exactly how well that works.

All in all, though, a little blend of TW and AS rules can work quite nicely! You're sacrificing complexity for speed, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #30 on: 22 April 2014, 13:43:00 »
1) Have a neutral GM. Speeds up things quite a bit and cuts down on any rule debates

2) Surprised no one mentioned this- MARKER DICE!

For every Vehicle, Mech or ASF, you have two colored dice, one to track the Defensive Movement Modifier, and one to track it's Gunnery Penalty. Infantry don't have Gunnery Penalties, so they'd only have the one die. Since the Defensive modifiers are rarely greater than 5, 6 sided dice work well.

Typically for the Defensive Modifier, we only include hexes moved, jumped or not, and other intrinsic modifiers such as whether or not its Battle Armor or not.

Naturally, the penalty will be 1, 2 or 3. We don't typically include Heat penalties as the modifier helps us to remember the movement mode.

So a Phoenix Hawk jumps 2 hexes. We've decided that green dice are Defensive modifiers, and red dice are penalties. Therefore we set a green die at a 1, next to it and a red die with a 3.

3) Play lots and know your rules!
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 22 April 2014, 16:47:07 »
I do something similar with marker dice but simply use a green die with movement mod for walking, yellow for running, and Red for jumping. So if my Phawk runs seven hexes then I mark it with a yellow die showing 3.

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 22 April 2014, 16:47:52 »
I've done a similar idea, except I kept the cost for hex facing changes and used a Mech's running movement for the actual move (while still using walking movement to calculate defensive modifier, so to use your example, a Mech with a movement of 5/8/5 becomes a move of 8/5j, with a defensive modifier of 2).  I can see how not worrying about the hex facing changes could speed it up further, but personally I liked keeping it in.  Originally I was in favour of cutting out all piloting rolls, but I'm still working out exactly how well that works.

All in all, though, a little blend of TW and AS rules can work quite nicely! You're sacrificing complexity for speed, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Do you use the walk or run penalty to shoot?

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #33 on: 22 April 2014, 20:39:37 »
Do you use the walk or run penalty to shoot?

Neither, I used no base penalty to shooting, much the same as Alpha Strike.  Basically, my movement options looked like this:

Aim - No movement, -1 bonus to fire, no movement modifier
Run - Mech can move up to running MP, no bonus or penalty to fire, movement modifier in accordance with walking MP (like Alpha Strike).
Jump - Mech can move up to jumping MP, +1 penalty to fire, movement modifier in accordance with max jumping MP +1

Essentially I used some options from the AS Companion beta document (with a -1 bonus for standing still instead of -2).  For heat, I used +2 (or running heat) for the "run" option, heat for jumps was calculated normally for TW rules.

The reason I used the running MP was because I liked the added mobility it gives.  I really haven't playtested it enough to confidently state that it's preferable to using just the walking MP, though.