Author Topic: Hovercraft Illegal Design (non-standard Engine) and Fractional Accounting.  (Read 1344 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
I am another victim of to much time on my hands. To be fair, most I spend refereeing my kids.  But when I get time, it's BT designing and forums or Diablo3.

Hovercraft Designing.  So the smallest you can make a combat hovercraft is 2 tons (.5 ton engine, internal, control, lift) without going to fractional accounting.  It will have no armor, and you have to use a light or xl/xxl fusion engine and go at least 21/31.  (also helps if you base your math off of the master table ... 10 rated fusion engine is .5 tons +%50 vehicle mod = .75 tons x .5 or 1/3 will get you .375 or .25 rounding to .5 which is a nice %20 of 2).

IF, you use fractional accounting and get semi-creative you can get more on the vehicle, possible an infantry scale weapon or three.

Also with fractional accounting and creative sub-10 engine ratings we can get a ONE ton hovercraft!

(note: all purely academic with the possibility of failure, I don't foresee a legitimate application for this vehicle)

For the engine I went with the protomech rules.  Not sure how else to justify an engine rating below 10 using combat vehicle rules (support veh engine rules give a 2.1 engine weight which won't help).

Code: [Select]
1 ton Hover, Tech Level F (?)
Engine: ER-1    .025 (protomech engine formula), rounds up to .2 for %20

Speed:  41/61
Cruise: 442.8 kph / 275 mph
Flank:  658.8 kph / 409.4 mph

Internal:       .1 (1 pt)
Control:        .05 (1 Crew)
Lift:           .1
Armor:          .25 (4 points: 1/1/1/1)
Equipment:      .3 – Seating 4 (.075 each)

I can't imagine going over 400 mph on open ground.  I'd just puke and have it spray all over me and anyone else.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

DOC_Agren

• Major
washed out fighter pilots and adrenaline junkie are the only 2 possible pilots for this rocket ship
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Incorrect.

I use ramming drone hovercraft in my AU, I wonder how much damage this thing would theoretically do? 
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Wolf72

• Captain
At some point it feels like a cheap shot ... makes light mechs whose role as a skirmisher to root out ambushes more important.

Then someone brings in some VTOLs ... there's always a counter.

idea weenie

• Major
If this thing skids, even once, it is dead.  But as a low-altitude courier over open terrain, it will be great.

It can only carry infantry weapons, potentially Battlearmor, maybe a ProtoMech scale weapon (.3 tons total, of which .075 is the pilot/gunner, so you only have .225 tons available) for weapons.

Now I wonder how much of a canyon it can jump just on momentum?  It a hovercraft loses 1 level after moving a number of hexes equal to 10% of its speed (FRD), it could cross over a canyon that is 5 hexes wide.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2020, 11:37:58 by idea weenie »

DOC_Agren

• Major
Quick hire the BT version of Evel Knievel, to use this in jumping stunts
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Wolf72

• Captain
If this thing skids, even once, it is dead.  But as a low-altitude courier over open terrain, it will be great.

It can only carry infantry weapons, potentially Battleamror, maybe a ProtoMech scale weapon (.3 tons total, of which .075 is the pilot/gunner, so you only have .226 tons available) for weapons.

well, it is designed as a combat vehicle, so the initial crew of 1 should be included in the control tonnage (right? I know mini-support vehs need to account for seating of said crew, not so sure about teeny combat vehs). ... like that .3 v .225 is going to make a difference! ... hey, an ER MicroLaser is only .25! ... or an iOS SRM-2 (clan).

Yeah, one bad pilot roll is simply doom.