Author Topic: Talk to me about Battlemech Partial Wings  (Read 2775 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Talk to me about Battlemech Partial Wings
« on: 09 July 2019, 08:13:03 »
After reading the recent Shrike article I realized I didn't know enough about them. From what I can tell they add some Jump MP and some heat dissipation.

Does the heat dissipation work even if I don't jump?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Talk to me about Battlemech Partial Wings
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2019, 08:14:25 »
Short answer - Yes

Long answer - Yeeeeeeeees :p  Basically they are extra surface area and are tied into the cooling system and act as big radiators in addition to the jumping distance boost. They don't require jumping to add the extra cooling.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2019, 08:17:03 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2019, 08:30:09 »
Short answer - Yes

Long answer - Yeeeeeeeees :p  Basically they are extra surface area and are tied into the cooling system and act as big radiators in addition to the jumping distance boost. They don't require jumping to add the extra cooling.
Caveated answer.  Partial wings are dead weight in thinner atmospheres and vacuums.  I never got deep into the alternate atmo/enviro rules so I don't remember where the cutoff point is.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2019, 08:41:33 »
Caveated answer.  Partial wings are dead weight in thinner atmospheres and vacuums.  I never got deep into the alternate atmo/enviro rules so I don't remember where the cutoff point is.

Yep! They don't work on high G worlds, vaccumes or worlds with thin atmospheres. But the cooling aspect will always work unless damaged.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2019, 09:27:42 »
Yep! They don't work on high G worlds, vaccumes or worlds with thin atmospheres. But the cooling aspect will always work unless damaged.

Cool. Thanks everyone. Now I'm off to build a very special Awesome.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2019, 10:29:56 »
I thought the cooling aspect also didn't work in low/no atmo environments.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2019, 19:43:49 »
i believe any critical hits to the system nulls the jump bonus AND -3 heat (in standard atmo) benifits

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2019, 19:50:13 »
Single hit does not negate all bonuses, it is -1 per hit (minimum 0). As such, in standard atmo, heavy and assault PWs lose the jump bonus on first hit, and lights and mediums lose the jump bonus completely on second hit. The cooling bonus does not vanish.

EDIT in high pressure atmo even assault 'Mechs gain +2 jump, so it takes two this to remove that bonus. But this isn't terribly relevant in normal games.

EDIT Cooling bonus gets reduced in lower atmos and vanishes in vacuum.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2019, 19:56:16 by Empyrus »

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2019, 05:52:18 »
For the actual jumping, they have some advantages, especially on lower weight classes and at certain thresholds. Those thresholds being, for example, getting a heavy or low end assault to 5 jump without the use of improved jets. Of course, you can combine the two, but the space constraints are terrifying.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2019, 10:06:26 »
For the actual jumping, they have some advantages, especially on lower weight classes and at certain thresholds. Those thresholds being, for example, getting a heavy or low end assault to 5 jump without the use of improved jets. Of course, you can combine the two, but the space constraints are terrifying.
Even with the space constraints, the some of the stuff over in the Partial Wing Awesome thread are still terrifying.  They are a bit light on the firepower, but the mix of armor and mobility is daunting. 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2019, 08:38:38 »
Even with the space constraints, the some of the stuff over in the Partial Wing Awesome thread are still terrifying.  They are a bit light on the firepower, but the mix of armor and mobility is daunting.

I just posted a new design that I hope will inspire fear and loathing.
Be the Loremaster: